NASA rocket exploded.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2014, 10:53 AM
RE: NASA rocket exploded.
(28-10-2014 07:06 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I don't understand that myth? I just view private sector as more opportunities, but I don't get how that'd prevent unforeseeable circumstances ever?

Here.

http://www.neweconomics.org/blog/entry/m...lic-sector

Quote:Private sector dynamism versus public sector inefficiency has been the dominant political narrative of the last few decades. It has supplied the excuse for repeated, one-directional upheaval in many of the services that we rely on, and which are essential to our quality of life. At best, evidence of private sector superiority is lacking. At worst, such lazy assumptions can cost lives as well as money.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
29-10-2014, 01:30 PM
(28-10-2014 05:08 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  The speaker sounds sounds so calm.

"Launch team, launch team, be advised, stay your consoles...."

I'm pretty sure I would have used at least one naughty word.

Yes, I'd say "Holy fuckin' shit..... run away! Run away! And get away from your goddamn consoles, they might explode too!"

I'm a wimp.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
29-10-2014, 02:06 PM
(29-10-2014 10:53 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 07:06 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I don't understand that myth? I just view private sector as more opportunities, but I don't get how that'd prevent unforeseeable circumstances ever?

Here.

Quote:Private sector dynamism versus public sector inefficiency has been the dominant political narrative of the last few decades. It has supplied the excuse for repeated, one-directional upheaval in many of the services that we rely on, and which are essential to our quality of life. At best, evidence of private sector superiority is lacking. At worst, such lazy assumptions can cost lives as well as money.

It all comes down to governance decisions...

Governance ensures that stakeholder needs, conditions and options are evaluated to determine balanced, agreed-on enterprise objectives to be achieved; setting direction through prioritisation and decision making; and monitoring performance and compliance against agreed-on direction and objectives.

Which means that:
Value is created by realising benefits at an optimal resource cost while optimising risk.

The public sector tend to be more risk averse and the private sector more focused on benefits. But both need systems of accountability to keep them honest.

Studies have shown that psychopaths rise to the top in the private sector ... very Darwinian. Whereas the non-competitive public sector, moving to what we might call 'civilised', tends to inefficiency and stagnation.

Management of risk (safety, security, uncertainty), however, is built into both systems but this will never mean that accidents will never happen because the common factor is people.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
29-10-2014, 02:12 PM
But was it an "accident" or did someone deliberately use cheaper parts in order to cut costs?

For example:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/569932/posts

Quote: In 1986, my husband discovered a large stock of these counterfeit grade 8 bolts at his new company that his predecessor had ordered and had to deliver the bad news to the head office that they must be scrapped. It was a controversial decision, but one the company easily made.

Five years later, either 60 Minutes or 20/20 broadcast a program devoted to this problem. It seems that a large stock of these counterfeit bolts (grade 10s and 12s) had found their way to Turkey where they were being used in aircraft repair and maintenance. (Some of our airlines contract their repair to places like Turkey to save money on maintenance.)

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
29-10-2014, 05:39 PM
(29-10-2014 02:06 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 10:53 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  Here.

It all comes down to governance decisions...

Governance ensures that stakeholder needs, conditions and options are evaluated to determine balanced, agreed-on enterprise objectives to be achieved; setting direction through prioritisation and decision making; and monitoring performance and compliance against agreed-on direction and objectives.

Which means that:
Value is created by realising benefits at an optimal resource cost while optimising risk.

The public sector tend to be more risk averse and the private sector more focused on benefits. But both need systems of accountability to keep them honest.

Studies have shown that psychopaths rise to the top in the private sector ... very Darwinian. Whereas the non-competitive public sector, moving to what we might call 'civilised', tends to inefficiency and stagnation.

Management of risk (safety, security, uncertainty), however, is built into both systems but this will never mean that accidents will never happen because the common factor is people.

You need two weeks off. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
29-10-2014, 08:10 PM
(28-10-2014 11:43 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 09:32 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  That's a lazy criticism.

Okay...

(28-10-2014 09:32 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  We could've done it if we had a sensible drug policy.

Also opposed by Republicans.

(28-10-2014 09:32 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  We could have have better government health care.

(28-10-2014 09:32 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  We could've done it if we had a more scrupulous tax reform.

(28-10-2014 09:32 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  We could've done it if we didn't give tax breaks to religious organizations.

Reforms also opposed by Republicans.

(28-10-2014 09:32 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  We could have destroyed Russia instead.

Actually advocated by some war-mongering Republicans.

(28-10-2014 09:32 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  We could've sterilized idiots instead.

Actually advocated by the Nazis.

(28-10-2014 09:32 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  We could've done a lot of things.

Right.

(28-10-2014 09:32 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  It really isn't very relevant to the news story though...

It's a government fuck up. Every government fuck up is Obama's fault according to Republicans, because reasons. Thus the Republicans will blame this on Obama eventually, which was Minimalist's point I assume. Mine was that the two wars we fought, both of which started under Republican administrations, consumed resources and the budget at a frightening pace. When compared to how terribly underfunded almost everything outside of the Pentagon is (including NASA), one has to wonder just how easily this could have been prevented had just a fraction of a fraction of the war budgets been spent elsewhere; like NASA. On top of that, how much of a terrible setback this is for the agency considering that they have so little to actually fund rocket launches, and it's one of the reasons why the Hubble replacement (the James Webb Space telescope) was almost cancelled. We can spend trillions of dollars indiscriminately blowing the shit out of brown people on the other side of the globe (which gives Republicans massive boners), but we can't be bothered to adequately fund education or space exploration.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIywROdbofY-4kkdWq3TP...tsAJmxFP7Q]

That just went straight over your head. My point was that you were doing the same thing you complaining about. - and that it was done without careful consideration as well.

"Something terrible happened, it's Obama's fault"
"Something terrible happened, it's the Republicans fault"

See how and childish it sounds regardless of who is saying it? You think Republicans can't/don't make similar broad-sweeping criticisms of democrats?

(28-10-2014 09:32 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  We could've done it if we had a sensible drug policy.

The group that wants to change this the most is the far right-leaning Libertarians. The democrats have time and again kept a terrible federal drug policy as have the Republicans. Those without sins...

(28-10-2014 09:32 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  We could have better government health care.

Also opposed by Republicans. Yes, I was pointing out faults with both sides. The fact that you didn't catch that from this statement is mind-boggling.

(28-10-2014 09:32 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  We could've done it if we had a more scrupulous tax reform.

Also opposed by Republicans. Also opposed by Democrats. Both want to tweak the numbers here any there. No one is willing to do what is necessary. Start from scratch. Write a new book, throw out the old one and hire a new 'Sherrif' to enforce it.

(28-10-2014 09:32 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  We could've done it if we didn't give tax breaks to religious organizations.

Reforms also opposed by Republicans. Also opposed by Democrats. If you are deluded about this one I can refer you to any Democrat who has been president in the last 100 years....probably longer.

(28-10-2014 09:32 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  We could have destroyed Russia instead.

Actually advocated by some war-mongering Republicans. See also, Healthcare.

(28-10-2014 09:32 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  We could've sterilized idiots instead.

Actually advocated by the Nazis. - A relevant fact somehow Consider Wait, I know! Republicans are Nazis?

(28-10-2014 09:32 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  We could've done a lot of things.

Right.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
30-10-2014, 04:09 AM
(29-10-2014 05:39 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ...

You need two weeks off. Weeping

Over here, that's called retirement.

There used to be something in my contract about time off for good behavour but I think it kinda evaporated.

Meanwhile, there are many good lessons to learn from this NASA 'incident':
Incident Management
Problem Management
Continuity Management (Contingency Planning and Disaster Recovery)
Management of Risk
Supplier Management.

'No fatalities' is something to be applauded.

Yes

31-10-2014, 03:36 PM
Apparently, the rocket was deliberately detonated.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/30/us/ant...?hpt=hp_t2

Just thought sharing that'd be good.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
31-10-2014, 03:52 PM
Not a good week for private space industry.

Virgin’s SpaceShipTwo crashes in the Mojave, killing at least one

[Image: spaceshiptwo-1.jpg?w=620]

Quote:A Virgin Galactic space tourism rocket exploded Friday during a test flight, killing a pilot aboard and seriously injuring another while scattering wreckage in Southern California’s Mojave Desert, witnesses and officials said.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
31-10-2014, 03:52 PM
We have got safety protocols down Smartass

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson