NASA rocket exploded.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2014, 08:09 PM
RE: NASA rocket exploded.
It's been a bad week for the private sector.

The gleam is coming off their shining armor.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2014, 04:44 PM
http://apnews.excite.com/article/2014110...28b64.html

Quote:Launius wonders if the public will support private efforts despite the visible failures, and can the for-profit companies tolerate the risk that comes with space and accidents. Orbital's stock price has dropped 13 percent since Tuesday's accident.

01-11-2014, 06:01 PM
(01-11-2014 04:44 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  http://apnews.excite.com/article/2014110...28b64.html

Quote:Launius wonders if the public will support private efforts despite the visible failures, and can the for-profit companies tolerate the risk that comes with space and accidents. Orbital's stock price has dropped 13 percent since Tuesday's accident.

Maybe Space, much like Health Care just does not work on the For Profit method.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
01-11-2014, 07:17 PM
(01-11-2014 06:01 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 04:44 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  http://apnews.excite.com/article/2014110...28b64.html

Maybe Space, much like Health Care just does not work on the For Profit method.

I disagree. Give it a few court cases of dead families suing and companies having to pay hundreds of millions if not billions in punitive damages and it'll become unprofitable to be unsafe.

[Image: oscar.png]
01-11-2014, 07:18 PM
(01-11-2014 07:17 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 06:01 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Maybe Space, much like Health Care just does not work on the For Profit method.

I disagree. Give it a few court cases of dead families suing and companies having to pay hundreds of millions if not billions in punitive damages and it'll become unprofitable to be unsafe.

It'll just be unprofitable to do at all.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
01-11-2014, 07:31 PM
(01-11-2014 07:18 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 07:17 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I disagree. Give it a few court cases of dead families suing and companies having to pay hundreds of millions if not billions in punitive damages and it'll become unprofitable to be unsafe.

It'll just be unprofitable to do at all.

In the days of sail, many ships and crews were lost. They kept on because the profits were large.

Lloyd's of London was formed to insure those ships. All there needs to be is sufficient profit.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-11-2014, 07:33 PM
(01-11-2014 07:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 07:18 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It'll just be unprofitable to do at all.

In the days of sail, many ships and crews were lost. They kept on because the profits were large.

Lloyd's of London was formed to insure those ships. All there needs to be is sufficient profit.

The profits don't seem to be here yet. If we get to the point of space mining then for profit might work. I'm not even sure a martian colony would work as a for profit venture.

01-11-2014, 07:35 PM
No it wont, it'll be like everything else. Supply and demand.
And the more it's done and the more the technology develops the cheaper it will become and the more accessible it will to be regular people.
Flying across the Atlantic (versus by boat) would have been the same at one point now it's actually cheaper to fly than go by boat...

I'm sure they had more than one crash in the beginning of aviation but now look at it.
This'll be the same.

OR I could be wrong and this'll go the way of the Concorde. But I'm betting it wont because Concorde had safer alternatives (regular passenger planes) where as there's no alternative into space.

[Image: oscar.png]
01-11-2014, 07:48 PM
(01-11-2014 07:35 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  No it wont, it'll be like everything else. Supply and demand.
And the more it's done and the more the technology develops the cheaper it will become and the more accessible it will to be regular people.
Flying across the Atlantic (versus by boat) would have been the same at one point now it's actually cheaper to fly than go by boat...

I'm sure they had more than one crash in the beginning of aviation but now look at it.
This'll be the same.

OR I could be wrong and this'll go the way of the Concorde. But I'm betting it wont because Concorde had safer alternatives (regular passenger planes) where as there's no alternative into space.

I think Chas has the right of it and it is more similar to the old Ocean expeditions (which were more often than not funded by the state) rather than transatlantic voyages. Right now the product is not ready to sell, there really is not a product to sell yet.

01-11-2014, 08:20 PM
(01-11-2014 07:17 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 06:01 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Maybe Space, much like Health Care just does not work on the For Profit method.

You have to look at the likely makeup of the potential passenger manifest. There isn't going to be a steerage class. These will be the upper 1% and if something blows their asses to smithereens you can expect lawyers to come out of the woodwork.