NASA rocket exploded.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2014, 08:35 PM
RE: NASA rocket exploded.
(01-11-2014 08:20 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 07:17 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I disagree. Give it a few court cases of dead families suing and companies having to pay hundreds of millions if not billions in punitive damages and it'll become unprofitable to be unsafe.

You have to look at the likely makeup of the potential passenger manifest. There isn't going to be a steerage class. These will be the upper 1% and if something blows their asses to smithereens you can expect lawyers to come out of the woodwork.

Not only that most of these companies are really just eccentric billionaires hobbies. Virgin just lost one of it's space ships in testing. If they were to be sued by the kind of people that could afford the trips they would go under.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
02-11-2014, 12:17 AM
(01-11-2014 07:48 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 07:35 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  No it wont, it'll be like everything else. Supply and demand.
And the more it's done and the more the technology develops the cheaper it will become and the more accessible it will to be regular people.
Flying across the Atlantic (versus by boat) would have been the same at one point now it's actually cheaper to fly than go by boat...

I'm sure they had more than one crash in the beginning of aviation but now look at it.
This'll be the same.

OR I could be wrong and this'll go the way of the Concorde. But I'm betting it wont because Concorde had safer alternatives (regular passenger planes) where as there's no alternative into space.

I think Chas has the right of it and it is more similar to the old Ocean expeditions (which were more often than not funded by the state) rather than transatlantic voyages. Right now the product is not ready to sell, there really is not a product to sell yet.

There is a product though, going into space and seeing the world from so high up.
It's like helicopter tours but on a larger scale.

[Image: oscar.png]
02-11-2014, 01:49 AM
(01-11-2014 08:35 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 08:20 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  You have to look at the likely makeup of the potential passenger manifest. There isn't going to be a steerage class. These will be the upper 1% and if something blows their asses to smithereens you can expect lawyers to come out of the woodwork.

Not only that most of these companies are really just eccentric billionaires hobbies. Virgin just lost one of it's space ships in testing. If they were to be sued by the kind of people that could afford the trips they would go under.

Such a toss up. *If* I put myself in the shoes… say my brother, whom I dearly love, passed in such an excursion… I know him and I both love space so dearly… for me to sue the thing I know he'd love despite the loss would seem like a step backwards. But that is he and- other families with a lot of money might not see it the same way. The death is not deliberate. Stupid money. I want space.