NC Church Tries to Beat "Demons" Out of Gay Man

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2017, 06:05 PM
RE: NC Church Tries to Beat "Demons" Out of Gay Man
Sad what's scary is these people think they are doing 'god's work' and are entirely in the right.
UGH

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2017, 06:22 PM
(06-06-2017 05:54 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(06-06-2017 05:43 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Did you miss the story where Pedophile Duggar is suing everyone he can think of for leaking information that had been secreted by his family, church, and others? It's a banner week for this kind of crap.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment...-1.3225525

...fucking damn it

And also this.
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
06-06-2017, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2017 10:28 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(06-06-2017 06:22 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(06-06-2017 05:54 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  ...fucking damn it

And also this.

FFS... one of the jurors ignoring judge's orders not to do "research" outside of the court, another person harassing the jury in the hallway...

*sigh*

Edit to Add:

Just noticed this:

"[Judge] Gavenus said he wasn't sure when a new trial would be scheduled for Brooke Covington, 58, a longtime minister at Word of Faith Fellowship in Spindale, North Carolina. Covington faced up to two years in prison if convicted on charges of kidnapping and assaulting former member Matthew Fenner in January 2013."

So let me get this straight-- I got nearly 30 years for (not even actually) growing weed, but I could have beat up a gay person in North Carolina for a max of two years!?!?

For fuck's sake!

And they wonder why we're so ardent about stopping the influence of religion on this society. Angry

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
06-06-2017, 10:56 PM
(06-06-2017 10:24 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(06-06-2017 06:22 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  And also this.

FFS... one of the jurors ignoring judge's orders not to do "research" outside of the court, another person harassing the jury in the hallway...

*sigh*

Edit to Add:

Just noticed this:

"[Judge] Gavenus said he wasn't sure when a new trial would be scheduled for Brooke Covington, 58, a longtime minister at Word of Faith Fellowship in Spindale, North Carolina. Covington faced up to two years in prison if convicted on charges of kidnapping and assaulting former member Matthew Fenner in January 2013."

So let me get this straight-- I got nearly 30 years for (not even actually) growing weed, but I could have beat up a gay person in North Carolina for a max of two years!?!?

For fuck's sake!

And they wonder why we're so ardent about stopping the influence of religion on this society. Angry

At least no one's ever kidnapped someone for being the wrong religion.

Okay, but at least no one's ever used religion to justify torture?

.... at least no one's every used faith to justify.... um.... erm....

Help me out here. What evil act CAN'T be justified in the name of faith?
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
07-06-2017, 12:02 PM
(06-06-2017 04:37 PM)Rachel Wrote:  The only thing which horrifies me more is when parents withhold medical treatment and try to pray the disease away. Kids have died from treatable diseases like meningitis or diabetes. Then the parents act all grief-stricken as they tell the cops something inane like "It was god's will" or "Heaven needed another angel." Arrgghh! Don't get me started!

There was just a thread about yet another "faith healing" couple that had a premature newborn die because of lack of medical care. At least in this particular case (Oregan, I think) they are being charged with murder, although I suspect a plea to a lesser charge is probably in the works. Amazingly, the degenerate mom's sister and BIL are already serving a 6 year prison term for letting their infant child pass just hours after birth.

Beat_stickFrusty
[+] 2 users Like Stefan Mayerschoff's post
07-06-2017, 12:08 PM
(07-06-2017 12:02 PM)Stefan Mayerschoff Wrote:  There was just a thread about yet another "faith healing" couple that had a premature newborn die because of lack of medical care. At least in this particular case (Oregan, I think) they are being charged with murder, although I suspect a plea to a lesser charge is probably in the works. Amazingly, the degenerate mom's sister and BIL are already serving a 6 year prison term for letting their infant child pass just hours after birth.

Beat_stick Frusty

The interesting part of that, to me, is that you never hear this aspect of religion cited when the "War on Christianity" (or "...Christmas", or what-have-you) people are whining about how their (majority) faith is supposedly under attack by secularists.

Presumably, it's because even they instinctively know that it's A Bridge Too Far™, and that the common fence-sitter and/or average, cultural-habitual practicioner of religion would see them as supporting the unsupportable "in the name of God", which would shine an uncomfortable light on the claims they are making in the name of God.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
07-06-2017, 12:10 PM
NC Church Tries to Beat "Demons" Out of Gay Man
I'm from NC and this doesn't surprise me at all. I've seen the craziest shit in Pentecostal Holiness churches. People flopping around on the floor talking demon sounding garbage. Fuck that shit.

I know some gay people that go to church and I ask them why. I can't get a good answer out of them. How bizarre? I just don't understand.
[+] 2 users Like KUSA's post
07-06-2017, 12:16 PM
(07-06-2017 12:08 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 12:02 PM)Stefan Mayerschoff Wrote:  There was just a thread about yet another "faith healing" couple that had a premature newborn die because of lack of medical care. At least in this particular case (Oregan, I think) they are being charged with murder, although I suspect a plea to a lesser charge is probably in the works. Amazingly, the degenerate mom's sister and BIL are already serving a 6 year prison term for letting their infant child pass just hours after birth.

Beat_stick Frusty

The interesting part of that, to me, is that you never hear this aspect of religion cited when the "War on Christianity" (or "...Christmas", or what-have-you) people are whining about how their (majority) faith is supposedly under attack by secularists.

Presumably, it's because even they instinctively know that it's A Bridge Too Far™, and that the common fence-sitter and/or average, cultural-habitual practicioner of religion would see them as supporting the unsupportable "in the name of God", which would shine an uncomfortable light on the claims they are making in the name of God.

I tend to agree. Like just about everything else, religious beliefs and practices fall on a continuum, and letting your infant die, beating/murdering gay people and abortion docs, protesting at funerals of fallen service members ala Westboro Baptist, certainly lie at one extreme and are probably uncomfortable to a lot of folks that like to stay toward the middle / other end.
[+] 4 users Like Stefan Mayerschoff's post
07-06-2017, 12:18 PM
(07-06-2017 12:10 PM)KUSA Wrote:  I'm from NC and this doesn't surprise me at all. I've seen the craziest shit in Pentecostal Holiness churches. People flopping around on the floor talking demon sounding garbage. Fuck that shit.

I know some gay people that go to church and I ask them why. I can't get a good answer out of them. How bizarre? I just don't understand.

There was a poster on the Amazon forums that was formerly Pentecostal, and she talked about the whole "speaking in tongues" thing, and how you weren't really accepted until you did it, if I remember correctly. I think she said she ended up faking hers to fit in, until she realized the stupidity of the whole thing and broke away.
[+] 3 users Like Stefan Mayerschoff's post
07-06-2017, 12:33 PM
(07-06-2017 12:18 PM)Stefan Mayerschoff Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 12:10 PM)KUSA Wrote:  I'm from NC and this doesn't surprise me at all. I've seen the craziest shit in Pentecostal Holiness churches. People flopping around on the floor talking demon sounding garbage. Fuck that shit.

There was a poster on the Amazon forums that was formerly Pentecostal, and she talked about the whole "speaking in tongues" thing, and how you weren't really accepted until you did it, if I remember correctly. I think she said she ended up faking hers to fit in, until she realized the stupidity of the whole thing and broke away.

I used to go to a Pentecostal church, did the whole tongues, too. I really wanted to be close to god, and just started making sounds and yup... that's yer "tongues", just random syllables and don't mean a damn thing. I used to imagine God speaking through me... but always in the back of my mind was... "to whom??" Didn't stop me until I left the church. It's embarrassing to think back on now. Tongue
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post