NDAA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2012, 10:33 AM
NDAA
The National Defense Authorization Act was signed. It's affront to the constitution and I was shocked to see Obama sign it. Then to hear he said the president should have even more power was rubbing salt into the wound. I am going to apply for political asylum to both the UK and Canada. I don't want to live in a country were they can come and pick me up with no court case and keep me held FOREVER!!! In this fanatical Christian nation I will never fit in being a Atheist. Off to the camps I will go. If this isn't getting scary to every America you better take the blinders off. As soon as the Government decides you are a undesirable person off you will go and no one can get you back. This is all under the false belief it makes you safer. Have we all lost our minds here? Am I just paranoid? Am I over reacting to this or is this a real threat to freedom? I would like a thoughtful answer. NO NUTTERS!!! I am really asking for some answers here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2012, 10:52 AM
RE: NDAA
All I can offer you is some advance warning. If it is asylum you seek Canada is not the best bet. We are not really that far off from where America is at right now. Try Sweden.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-01-2012, 10:59 AM
(01-01-2012 10:52 AM)lucradis Wrote:  All I can offer you is some advance warning. If it is asylum you seek Canada is not the best bet. We are not really that far off from where America is at right now. Try Sweden.

That might be part of NEOA's frustration. Has Canada moved closer to where America is politically, or has America moved to become more like Canada?

It's interesting to me that the OP raises a potential threat of marching atheists off to the concentration camps. The Christian Fundies don't fear the threat, they are confident of the threat that Christians will be lead off to the camps persecuted for their faith, AND, they can provide you with GPS coordinates and fuzzy photos proving that these camps are already in existence.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
01-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Well, so much for the dream that was America.Angry

I am hopeful that provisions of this will be challenged and found unconstitutional.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
02-01-2012, 10:54 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2012 10:55 AM by N.E.OhioAtheist.)
(01-01-2012 11:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  Well, so much for the dream that was America.Angry

I am hopeful that provisions of this will be challenged and found unconstitutional.

Nothing happened with the Patriot Act and that was clearly unconstitutional. It's a slippery slope we have got our self into all in the name of fear. The Brits stood tall under the pressure from the IRA. I remember them days well. Every week their was a bombing. It's true now in the UK their is a camera on every street corner. 1984 would be proud. That was done all in the name of safety. It will happen here too. Our freedom is not ripped away all at once. The Government takes it away in little pieces. Power has a nasty way of doing that. Our country is on a brink of going one way or the other. The way it is looking to me I don't think I want to stay here. Once you seen the world and other ways of living this is not the utopia everyone thinks it is. Yes if you come from a hell hole 3rd world this is wonderful. But if you come from a normal country with progressive ideas that GOD does not control every move we are far from that. Most modern country's have health care for everyone no matter what!! Not here!!! We're far from the best we once were.
(02-01-2012 10:54 AM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  
(01-01-2012 11:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  Well, so much for the dream that was America.Angry

Nothing happened with the Patriot Act and that was clearly unconstitutional. It's a slippery slope we have got our self into all in the name of fear. The Brits stood tall under the pressure from the IRA. I remember them days well. Every week their was a bombing. It's true now in the UK their is a camera on every street corner. 1984 would be proud. That was done all in the name of safety. It will happen here too. Our freedom is not ripped away all at once. The Government takes it away in little pieces. Power has a nasty way of doing that. Our country is on a brink of going one way or the other. The way it is looking to me I don't think I want to stay here. Once you seen the world and other ways of living this is not the utopia everyone thinks it is. Yes if you come from a hell hole 3rd world this is wonderful. But if you come from a normal country with progressive ideas that GOD does not control every move we are far from that. Most modern country's have health care for everyone no matter what!! Not here!!! We're far from the best we once were.
sorry for going off topic!
03-01-2012, 08:13 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2012 08:17 AM by Infidel.)
The Constitution is always evolving with time, as amendments are added. The original document offered no protection for African Americans (slaves then) or women. Since we have more potential terrorist cells now living in our neighborhoods, everything must change. I did not feel threatened by the Patriot Act, and I still do not feel threatened. If I were a terrorist I might be shaking in my shoes. Can anyone say that we should just go about our business as usual and do nothing to prevent more such 9/11 attacks? Our way of life changed forever on 9/11.

Something, Or Someone Is Really Out There!
[+] 1 user Likes Infidel's post
03-01-2012, 08:20 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2012 08:29 AM by N.E.OhioAtheist.)
Finely Rachel Maddow on MSNBC did a 3 minute segment on the NDAA. At least 1 network said something. Did I miss anyone else bitching about the new law. This is the first time in our history the Army is now the police in our country. We don't need to use the marshal law for them now. Scary times we live in. They didn't build the FEAMA camps just for the fun of it. It's Germany in the 30's all over again. Wait the guns will be next. When some nut case does something stupid all the guns will be ripped out of the peoples homes. They did it in Katrina when the Storm was over. You never hear a word about that.
(03-01-2012 08:13 AM)Infidel Wrote:  The Constitution is always evolving with time, as amendments are added. The original document offered no protection for African Americans (slaves then) or women. Since we have more potential terrorist cells now living in our neighborhoods, everything must change. I did not feel threatened by the Patriot Act, and I still do not feel threatened. If I were a terrorist I might be shaking in my shoes. Can anyone say that we should just go about our business as usual and do nothing to prevent more such 9/11 attacks? Our way of life changed forever on 9/11.

It's thinking like yours that gives the Government more power over your life. What part of freedom don't you understand? If we have to give up our freedoms so you can feel safe you need to go to a island. Be the only person on that island too. We have the CIA the air force, navy, etc. Go kill the ones who did this but don't change a damn thing here. Britain did it with the IRA and we could have done it too. It's baby's and wimps who fear bumps in the night. We have armed the terrorist to start with. We need to get our ass back home and take care of our own people.
03-01-2012, 09:05 AM
(01-01-2012 10:52 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Try Sweden.

I've looked into this already. Apparently, for a non EU member to move to an EU country the local government has to prove that the job you intend to fill cannot be filled by any other EU member.

So your basically fucked if you want to move to Sweden.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
03-01-2012, 09:21 AM
I am 57 years old and feel just as free now as I did as a child. It looks to me like it is you who are afraid. I have no problem with giving my elected president and congressional leaders the tools they need to fight this war. I guess I am still a little more conservative than I thought. I certainly am not for abusing Arab Americans and Muslims human rights. They must be protected by the same law as me. I am not in the inteligence business, but I have watched them dismantle more than one terrorist plot in this country. And I have seen terrorists who claimed to be Christians too (Timothy McVeigh).He was the Oklahoma City bomber. By the way, it seems to me that it is you who are looking for an island, not me Smile

Something, Or Someone Is Really Out There!
03-01-2012, 09:25 AM
(03-01-2012 09:21 AM)Infidel Wrote:  I am 57 years old and feel just as free now as I did as a child. It looks to me like it is you who are afraid. I have no problem with giving my elected president and congressional leaders the tools they need to fight this war. I guess I am still a little more conservative than I thought. I certainly am not for abusing Arab Americans and Muslims human rights. They must be protected by the same law as me. I am not in the inteligence business, but I have watched them dismantle more than one terrorist plot in this country. And I have seen terrorists who claimed to be Christians too (Timothy McVeigh).He was the Oklahoma City bomber. By the way, it seems to me that it is you who are looking for an island, not me Smile

To be fair, complacency is a short path to dictatorship. If laws like this continue to pass it's only a matter of time before those powers are abused. And when you are 77 years old and being drug off to a concentration camp for beign atheist (or whatever it is they hate) you can think back to the time when you thought, "I don't see what the big deal is".

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain