NDE explaned by science. (+Sleep Paralysis)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
18-01-2013, 10:50 AM
RE: NDE explaned by science. (+Sleep Paralysis)
(18-01-2013 10:43 AM)mawil1013 Wrote:  
(17-01-2013 09:43 PM)amyb Wrote:  I'm sure you can find stuff on youtube from people that believe in fairies, unicorns, and dragons, too, but personal beliefs aren't the same as verifiable evidence. Personal experiences can be very convincing to those who want to believe in them.
Did you view it? Did you research the doctor?
Do an Amazon search on the man's name, he is a renowned neurosurgeon who's written medical journal's and is acknowledged in the medical community. But yeah, just another YouTube jerk wad. LOL He has more knowledge of the brain in one pinky finger than the combined knowledge of 99 % of the rest of humanity. He has money, he has recognition in his career.
And he's subject to error and delusion just as is any human.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Re: NDE explaned by science. (+Sleep Paralysis)
True, the last thing you can trust is a human mind and personal opinion.
Find all posts by this user
18-01-2013, 11:18 AM
(18-01-2013 11:17 AM)mawil1013 Wrote:  True, the last thing you can trust is a human mind and personal opinion.
Yes - those do not qualify as objective evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-01-2013, 01:25 PM
(18-01-2013 10:43 AM)mawil1013 Wrote:  
(17-01-2013 09:43 PM)amyb Wrote:  I'm sure you can find stuff on youtube from people that believe in fairies, unicorns, and dragons, too, but personal beliefs aren't the same as verifiable evidence. Personal experiences can be very convincing to those who want to believe in them.
Did you view it? Did you research the doctor?
Do an Amazon search on the man's name, he is a renowned neurosurgeon who's written medical journal's and is acknowledged in the medical community. But yeah, just another YouTube jerk wad. LOL He has more knowledge of the brain in one pinky finger than the combined knowledge of 99 % of the rest of humanity. He has money, he has recognition in hisy
You seem to be falling into the trap of trusting anything a person with a PhD says. Just because a person has "money and recognition" doesn't mean he knows literally everything about everything and is infallible.

As Chas said, he's as subject to delusional thinking as any other human, and even if his opinion carried more weight for some reason, it's still his opinion and his subjective, unverifiable experience.
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
18-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Eben Alexander? This loser? Really?

On the plus (or minus, depends how one looks at it) side, it was through him (and Bucky) that I found this place. So now you know whom to thank/blame Dodgy

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
18-01-2013, 10:25 PM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2013 10:30 PM by Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver.)
(12-01-2013 08:22 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  I was really interested in NDE (near death experiences) a while back when I thought there was an afterlife. I figured they couldn't really be explained by science, but now I found an article that links some studies which explain how they can occur. Out of body experiences can even be artificially triggered.
' Wrote:Approximately 3 percent of the U.S. population says they have had a
near-death experience, according to a Gallup poll. Near-death
experiences are reported across cultures, with written records of them
dating back to ancient Greece. Not all of these experiences actually
coincide with brushes with death—one study
of 58 patients who recounted near-death experiences found 30 were not
actually in danger of dying, although most of them thought they were.
-------------------------------------
Out-of-body experiences are also now known to be common during interrupted sleep patterns that immediately precede sleeping or waking.For
instance, sleep paralysis, or the experience of feeling paralyzed while
still aware of the outside world, is reported in up to 40 percent of
all people and is linked with vivid dreamlike hallucinations that can
result in the sensation of floating above one's body. A 2005 study found
that out-of-body experiences can be artificially triggered by stimulating the right temporoparietal junction in the brain, suggesting that confusion regarding sensory information can radically alter how one experiences one's body.

As someone that has experience sleep paralysis myself (five times), I can say that the experience makes you really inclined to believe in the supernatural. Three out of the five times I felt a presence in the room with me, the first couple times it felt like that presence was what was holding me down. It is by far the scariest experience I've ever had, It felt like my body was in complete shock, every bit of my consciousness was experiencing intense fear. I had some pretty crazy theories about it back then. That it was a demon or satan, another that it was my body waking up in the process of astral projecting. None of which had any rational reason behind them.

Have any of you had NDE or sleep paralysis experiences? If so, what was it like?
We can induce NDEs in the lab. It's a side effect of the consciousness and cognitive centers of the brain being deprived of oxygen.

As an aerobatic pilot, I've never had a G-LOC (G induced Loss of Consciousness) but NDEs are associated with these events. Pilots report floating out of their bodies and visiting dream like worlds, floating toward the light, etc.

This writer went for a ride with the Blue Angels and had a G-LOC during a 7.5 G turn.

A similar experience by Mythbuster and fellow atheist Adam Savage, again while flying with the Blues....

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 2 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post