NDEs, reincarnation and other crap

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2015, 12:19 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2015 12:23 PM by f stop.)
NDEs, reincarnation and other crap
Originally he wanted to debate the historicity of the resurrection. Of course all he has is the New Testament. Others join in. They bring up NDEs, particularly someone named Elisabeth Kübler-Ross. I was able to debunk NDE thanks to stuff I found on The Thinking Atheist.

Now it's someone named Jim Tucker who is an expert on past life memories of children.Facepalm

I don't have time to debunk every bit of bullshit they come up with. What's the saying? "If you can't convince them with facts, dazzle them with bullshit."

Sorry for the rant.Drinking Beverage

P.S. Have either Elisabeth Kübler-Ross or Jim Tucker published in peer-reviewed journals?

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2015, 12:54 PM
RE: NDEs, reincarnation and other crap
Some aspects of NDEs I find intriguing, but there's just so much damn agenda pushed by the proponents that I cannot take any anecdote seriously. They're not interesting enough to delve deeper.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2015, 01:37 PM
I died for a few minutes once when I was still religious. Nothing. Nada. Just fade to black. Lights out.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
03-09-2015, 01:58 PM
Near death experience???

Nope.

That's like an "almost pregnancy".

It's an either/or kinda thing.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
03-09-2015, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2015 02:29 PM by dancefortwo.)
This is a interesting article by Oliver Sacks, who died three days ago (a wonderful man, by the way) about the role of hallucinations during NDE"s and OBE's, how they play out in our mind and why people connect the experience to a god.

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com...velations/

Oliver Sacks was an atheist. I posted a little thing about him over in the Casual Coffeehouse forum.

I have some more stuff about NDE's somewhere in my files. Gotta dig them up.

Edit update: Here's another article I dug up.

http://infidels.org/library/modern/keith...HNDEs.html

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
03-09-2015, 02:43 PM
There is a really good book called The Soul Fallacy by Julien Musolino. It completely annihilates all of that stuff.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
03-09-2015, 03:22 PM
You know how you can tell reincarnation is just wishful thinking???

Because everyone who ever claims to remember "previous lives" - almost without fail - recalls a life of fame and grandeur. They'll always claim to have been Alexander the Great, Cleopatra, Genghis Khan or some other person of note.

You never hear a guy telling a story how he was a poor, shit and fly covered Indian child who died in the gutters of Bhopal at the age of 6 from smallpox.

Simple math says there would be more of those stories than anything else.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
03-09-2015, 05:10 PM
Apparently somebody placed an obvious object on a high shelf in a hospital room and waited for someone to claim an OBE in the room. "... I left my body... I floated up and looked down on myself and the room..." Apparently the experiment was repeated quite a few times. None of the people who claimed to have looked down on the room and themselves ever mentioned the obvious object.

Once more, all religion is bullshit. As oif we needed any more evidence.

Also worthy of note is that everyone who has ever claimed to have an NDE has described an afterlife/god/whatever consistent with the religion of the culture they were raised in.

Just one more proof that all religion is bullshit.

Except Pastafarianism, of course, because how can you not believe in a religion that has a beer volcano and a stripper factory in heaven?

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
03-09-2015, 05:15 PM

[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
03-09-2015, 06:03 PM
(03-09-2015 03:22 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You know how you can tell reincarnation is just wishful thinking???

Because everyone who ever claims to remember "previous lives" - almost without fail - recalls a life of fame and grandeur. They'll always claim to have been Alexander the Great, Cleopatra, Genghis Khan or some other person of note.

You never hear a guy telling a story how he was a poor, shit and fly covered Indian child who died in the gutters of Bhopal at the age of 6 from smallpox.

Simple math says there would be more of those stories than anything else.

I actually had a "seer" tell me that I was a slave who died working on the pyramids in a past life. Laugh out load

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post