NEW VIDEO : Hey Agnostics, "F*CK YOU!"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2011, 03:47 PM
RE: NEW VIDEO : Hey Agnostics, "F*CK YOU!"
(26-06-2011 03:42 PM)TAJD Wrote:  Hi, as someone with a grasp of the English language I was able to understand your video. You do talk quick, but your accent was fine AND YOU PRONOUNCED EVERYTHING CORRECTLY. Remember, when doing videos for a worldwide audience, speak slowly as there may be Americans who are watching.
However, you video isn't really addressed to many of the agnostics on this site as I'm assuming they have thought out their position to a sufficient degree to be unpeturbed by your overall message.
You seem to rail against organised religion, which is fair enough, I agree with that and again many users on this website will too. But this doesn't support your case against agnostics, just against theists.
Your video is a diatribe against those agnostics who are just jumping on the bandwagon of euroskeptism as it hurtles through today's schools.
Its also offensive for no gain whatsoever. Leave the f word to the rappers and start using vocabulary with illustrates your argument instead of telling people you think they're stupid.
What is your overall idea, to tell agnostics that they're wrong?
In a way, they are always going to be wrong no matter if there is a god or not as they're not sure about either.
Tips, talk slow think yank, concentrate on proof not rhetoric, memorise the script it's disconcerting for you to look away all the time.
One thing for sure, everyone here knows what agnostic means haha.
Anyway, good luck with the videos, I'd like to see where you go with it.

Thanks. I definitely will not do this style again. Of course, I myself am an agnostic atheist, but this was addressed to the agnostic passionate who claim that theism is just as valid as atheism, which it isn't. You're right though, it did get annoying and I will take that forward for the future.

Again, thank you!

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing". "But," says man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It proves you exist and so therefore you don't. QED." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
-DA
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-06-2011, 05:03 PM
You don't necessarily have to drop the idea of dealing with agnosticism.
This is an interesting question, on which you obviously have strong views (half-baked ones, imo, but heck, it's a half-belief!)
You don't need to be so adversarial all the time... or if you enjoy that role, maybe get somebody to play straw-man, so it's more like a dialogue than a diatribe.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
Find all posts by this user
26-06-2011, 05:11 PM
No I mean, the really angry thing of the Fuck Youyness that I should drop.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing". "But," says man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It proves you exist and so therefore you don't. QED." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
-DA
26-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Yeah, I also thought that the video was a bit incomprehensible though I kind of see where you were going.

I also agree with everyone on the enunciation part, too.
Good luck with your videos, though.

Peace
26-06-2011, 09:10 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2011 11:30 AM by Ghost.)
Hey Olie.

As an Agnostic, I obviously don’t appreciate the content but I like you as a person, so that goes a long way. You are young, interested, opinionated, insightful and intelligent. Those are great qualities to have when you’re young.

The first mistake is to say that Agnostics are arrogant to call Atheists arrogant, because you begin by acknowledging the existence of a group whose existence you are trying to deny. So that one didn’t work out.

High horse made of faeces. Classic. Rude as all fuck and irrelevant, but classic.

You went off the rails a bit I think when you said that Agnosticism was not a middle ground and then went off on Theism (indoctrination, creationism, the usual suspects) as if you were trying to win Agnostics over to your side.

I understand the knowledge vs belief argument (even if I disagree with it) but not because of your video. You failed to explain it. I really think that this point should have been the main thrust of the video. “You’re dumb because you think X is Y when X is X.” It seemed that way off the top, but then you went off on the anti-Theism tangent and only came back to it at the end. If your argument is that Agnostics are actually Atheists, then that should resonate in every sentence you utter. That way when you get to dogmatically pragmatic, fuck you, it lands because you’ve been tearing apart dogmatic pragmatism for 3 minutes and your audience will say, “Yeah! Fuck that shit!” I don’t know how old you are or if you’ve started into serious essay writing at school but I think the thesis statement --> 3 supporting points --> conclusion format would help focus what you’re talking about.

I like how it started with direct address. I think if you kept it that way all the way through it would be strong, but you left that format when you went off on your tangent. It just became naked facts/opinions with no focus, which is difficult to watch and hard to take seriously. So try the essay format but do it as direct address all the way through and see where that takes you.

I just rewatched it and I see what threw you off the rails. It’s when you questioned Agnostic claims that Atheists are too harsh on Theism. You then launched into ‘so it isn’t bullshit?’ You took your eyes off the prise as it were and shifted your attack from Agnosticism to Theism. I think you might want to focus on what Agnostics are saying and what Agnostics are doing.

Above all else, if you’re going to lead with Hey Agnostics, fuck you, you must be aware that you are squarely in the domain of parody. It’s a good place to be, but you need to be aware of it and aware of its demands.

Also, just in terms of production value, you may want to spice up the format. The talking head thing is too easy to do. It tells the audience that you haven’t invested much into this so why should they? You may want to think about a location for your self, camera angles, edits, or things like photos, accompanying video, graphics, or like Colbert does in his The Word segment, text that opposes/exposes what he’s saying. This is a fun video that is entirely textual/graphical. Or check out Red Letter Media’s Mr. Plinket reviews, which use stills, video, text, sound effects and where the narrator is never physically present. They’re awesome.

I think three good models to look at would be Jon Stewart’s “Meet me at camera 3” monologues and pretty much anything Stephen Colbert says; just because Colbert says the things that his target would say and gives it his blind support which allows him to illustrate how silly it seems. For example, the lottery idea would be great if you were, say, congratulating Agnostics in their two-pronged quest to prove that God is a possibility and to win the lotto. See what I mean?

Lastly, check out this Henry Rollins video. It’s a great example of smart, focused, very abrasive direct address. It’s AWESOME!

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
26-06-2011, 09:14 PM
I didn't mind this video Olie, you actually relied on the script less than the other times. Don't worry about getting videos produced fast you need to memorize the words, it will slow down your speech if you're not reading the script. I have no problem with your accent, but I'm used to talking to people who talk in all sorts of ways.

You'll definitely be better accepted if you make more logic than shock. We don't really need to go out there and be a shock group the theists do enough of that.

Anyway I'm shock enough for everyone =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
27-06-2011, 05:44 AM
I do love a good stir, it might be messy but it does get the point across. Look at gay pride parades. =)
27-06-2011, 07:03 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2011 07:07 PM by lucradis.)
No real point commenting as I've noticed that you decided not to continue the post. But I'm bored so I will anyways. Title needs a change, super dickhead title. I say that and I even like you. Big Grin
Probably would have been better served if you had started with your genuine complaint about the understanding of the term agnostic. As well as by describing yourself as an agnostic atheist.
I also don't much see the point because it doesn't seem like much of a problem in a field with so many genuine concerns (which you spend most of the time talking about funnily enough). I'm not a label whore, General terms are good enough for me. But that's just opinion which shouldn't affect the course of your videos, everyone has one, your is yours.
You should get lasers, and some catchy background music. Just kidding. I like short and to the point, much better than flashy. While it is true that with just a camera and a face it can seem like it was just slapped together, too much production value will make me think you are trying to entice me with flair instead of any genuine ideas. You can't win for trying lol.
I give you credit for having the balls to say what you say period let alone on the interwebz where everyone can see your face and dissect you like an alien crashed in new mexico. Of course you are clearly not from the states or Afghanistan so it might be a little easier for you to do so without fear of religious violence. I hear it's a little more accepted to be anti religious around your parts.
off of the topic sort of... what is that picture in the background of most of your videos? It looks portalish....

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
30-06-2011, 03:00 AM
Get a better microphone also. For me personally, I never watch these kind of videos, they are very boring and always just have ideas of one guy, the one who is making the video. I like documentaries, objective thinking, not subjective, so no, this kind of videos do not entertain me, I always skip them. It is much better if you don't film yourself, but make some kind of animation, or picture slide show, something to have a purpose, because your face does not have a purpose. Plus, when people see how young you are, they tend to ignore you instantly.

This is my own opinion on all the videos like this one. They all suck. Smile

P.S.
If you do continue to make more videos, then you should learn how to speak diplomatically, no words like F*** YOU, no insulting the "other side", make your case, and make it interesting, use facts and intelligence. Also you need to learn how to speak to the public, you can not use your accent or speak fast, use grammatically correct sentences with pure school like English language, just like in NatGeo documentaries. If you want to do something, do it professionally.

This is suppose to be positive criticism.

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson