NFL player announces he doesn't believe in God / Foster comes out

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2015, 03:06 PM
NFL player announces he doesn't believe in God
Breaking story......

WTF. Why is this a big deal? The fact that such a big deal is made out of this is just a sad reflection on our current society.

link

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
06-08-2015, 04:06 PM
RE: NFL player announces he doesn't believe in God
Going to fuck up all those team "prayers."

I always figured football players were dumb because of all the hits they take to the head. Good for this guy. His brain still functions.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
06-08-2015, 04:10 PM
It's a big deal in Texas, where he plays.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
06-08-2015, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2015 08:21 PM by WillHopp.)
Foster comes out
Texas RB Arian Foster officially is out of the atheist closet, though he doesn't use that label. While the piece was OK, the author seems to stumble a little in an effort to sound more intelligent than he is. The writing could use some editing and flow.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/133690...ieving-god

EDIT: Might want to delete this thread since the same one was started and off and running in the Atheism-Theism forum.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2015, 04:37 PM
Sorry, I posted this in the Sports section. Might want to combine them admins.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2015, 04:45 PM
What I find depressing is that the article is titled "The Confession of Adrian Foster" like he did something wrong. You confess when you screw up. You don't confess that you prefer cats to dogs.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 4 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
06-08-2015, 04:46 PM
I just wonder who he's going to thank when his team scores.

And... does he still "give 110%"?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
06-08-2015, 04:54 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2015 04:57 PM by TarzanSmith.)
(06-08-2015 04:46 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I just wonder who he's going to thank when his team scores.

Of course not. 110% is a made up number. And imaginary things are for us theists!

(we're on to you mathematicians and your imaginary numbers. Back off! Smile

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post
06-08-2015, 06:51 PM
It's especially a big deal in the NFL.

Sometimes it's about visibility. Atheism in the US needs normalized. People -- especially people in the Midwest and Bible Belt, not just people on the coasts -- need to see atheists represented among their neighbors and coworkers and celebrities and heroes, because otherwise their perception of atheists is formed solely second-or-third-hand. Not from what they see and discuss with the atheist first-hand, but from what Fox News and their pastors say about atheists.

When his team scores, he can thank the QB who threw the pass and the running back who caught it and the wide receivers who ran decoy and the linemen who bought the time and the tight end who came in with a key block and the coaches who put it all together and the rest of the team who got them into the red zone in the first place. And if he's feeling corny, the fans for providing moral support. And if he's feeling mean, he can thank the opposing team's defense for sucking.

... why doesn't anyone ever thank the Devil for cursing and bedeviling the opposing team?

(06-08-2015 04:54 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 04:46 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I just wonder who he's going to thank when his team scores.

Of course not. 110% is a made up number. And imaginary things are for us theists!

(we're on to you mathematicians and your imaginary numbers. Back off! Smile

[offended mathematician]

Hey! Profits can rise 110% over the quarter! It's a legit value! What's he giving 110% of? What he gave last season? Good, he's improving! His average for the season? Hell yeah that's possible, really raising the bar. What he gives at practice? Yeah, sure. 110% of what WAS his maximum before he got fired up and delivered harder? Sure. "Giving 110%" means holding nothing back and pushing so hard that you surpass what you THOUGHT were your limits.

And you don't want to be onto imaginary numbers. Given their vector they'll just spin you right off. And yes, a thrown football DOES have an imaginary component to its vector!

[/offended mathematician]

[offended mathematician]

Bangin

[/offended mathematician]
[+] 6 users Like Reltzik's post
06-08-2015, 06:54 PM
(06-08-2015 04:10 PM)pablo Wrote:  It's a big deal in Texas, where he plays.

So long as he keeps running in Beast Mode, I don't think the fans will care about his beliefs at all.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post