NOVA | Intelligent Design on Trial

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2013, 10:29 PM
NOVA | Intelligent Design on Trial
My wife and I have been watching this the past couple of nights. NOVA Special

My understanding and respect for Darwin has grown tremendously. Now we have only made it through 3/4 of this video so far, but the defendants of Evolution in this video have made such a better case than the intel. design people have.

I don't pretend to undertand all this stuff about Darwins theory, but this video has helped me a lot. I understand more now about what it takes to make up a theory. How much work goes into it. How much research, time, study and knowledge. Its not some one waking up one day and saying, "I have a theory" like the creationist would have us believe.

Like I said, we aren't all the way through, but I hope this video turns out like I know it should. Kick the Intel Design out of schools, since it is not actual testable science and put more in about evolution. Keep the freakin' creationism, religion, Intel design garbage out of our public schools!!!

Twitter: @doubtingdragon
http://doubtingdragon.wordpress.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2013, 10:40 PM
RE: NOVA | Intelligent Design on Trial
Oh yea - I remember this case. I think we discussed somewhere on the forum.

Heart I love love love NOVA. Shy

Here it is also in case anyone can't load from the OP.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
07-10-2013, 10:58 PM
Thanks Kim,
If there are more shows like this on Nova, I know where I'll be watching for a bit. Good stuff.

07-10-2013, 11:47 PM
Is that the show where they showed the "intelligent design" nonsense edited into the "creationism" documents and tried to pass them off as originals?

You may not have reached that point yet.

[Image: Atheismreality_zps62a2c96a.jpg]
08-10-2013, 06:17 AM
Yeah, haven't seen that yet. So far its just been about the battle between Intelligent design vs. Evolution in public schools. A battle between which text books should be allowed. So far Evolution is making a FAR better case.

The intel design argument falls flat. Its not science, though they try to make it so. They can only believe and have faith that they are right. Silly.

[+] 1 user Likes DoubtingDragon's post
08-10-2013, 10:20 AM
NOVA is so biased towards rational thinking.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 4 users Like sporehux's post
08-10-2013, 10:31 AM
(07-10-2013 10:29 PM)DoubtingDragon Wrote:  ...
I don't pretend to understand all this stuff about Darwin's theory,

Try this:

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-10-2013, 10:50 AM
(07-10-2013 11:47 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Is that the show where they showed the "intelligent design" nonsense edited into the "creationism" documents and tried to pass them off as originals?

Oh yea! That was seriously damning. Consider

I had to pause the program at that part to pick up on the hasty cut/paste job they did to cover their tracks of deceit - cdesign proponentsists. Someone wasn't very familiar with spell check. Dodgy

One of the other damning bits of rhetoric to come of this same portion of the film was the interview quote in that Touchstone magazine with Paul Nelson where he himself admits that it is not science...
Paul Nelson Wrote:Easily the biggest challenge facing the ID community is to develop a full-fledged theory of biological design. We don't have such a theory right now, and that's a real problem. Without a theory, it's very hard to know where to direct your research focus. Right now we've got a bag of powerful intuitions, and a handful of notions such as "irreducible complexity" and "specified complexity" - but as yet, no general theory of biological design.

Wow... WOW - "a bag of powerful intuitions and a handful of notions" - paid for with your tax dollars. Thumbsup

Thank you again DoubtingDragon for posting this; it is so essential to see a thing all laid out with all sides examined, in order to make and informed assessment of such a situation.

I have a much humbled respect for that Judge; regardless of who appointed him or why... he upheld my constitution. I can get very emotional when my constitution is concerned.

I just watched this with my morning coffee... it really got me up for the day. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
08-10-2013, 08:13 PM
I know the court scenes are just re-enactments, but I really like how the judge seems genuinely interested, with an open mind and seems to want to learn what both sides have to say. I haven't got to the end of the program, so don't know how it turns out. But I do hope this is an accurate depiction of the judge.

I was floored with what I learned last night about evolution. SO fascinating. And thanks DLJ for your vid. I'll check it out for sure after this one.

Well, the wife and I are off to watch the second half. Glad you all enjoyed it.

08-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Quote:Oh yea! That was seriously damning.

The judge seemed to think so. Judges just hate it when witnesses introduce forged documents. Makes them cranky!

Still, even better than the decision was this aftermath.

Pat Robertson said, on November 11, 2006 that:

Quote: "I'd like to say to the good citizens of Dover: If there is a disaster in your area, don't turn to God. You just rejected him from your city,"

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2005/11/11/...ool-board/

I always use the FOX report on this one for the irony factor.

What is most amusing though is that shortly after warning Pennsylvania of god's wrath, Kansas...that gold buckle on the bible belt...got hammered by a string of tornadoes.

Apparently "god" needs to work on his aim.

[Image: Atheismreality_zps62a2c96a.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post