NOVA | Intelligent Design on Trial

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2013, 07:28 PM
RE: NOVA | Intelligent Design on Trial
(08-10-2013 10:20 AM)sporehux Wrote:  NOVA is so biased towards rational thinking.

Is rational thinking a bias? An issue of semantics, most likely, but I don't think you can call using facts a bias.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2013, 08:07 PM
(09-10-2013 07:28 PM)Diogenes of Mayberry Wrote:  
(08-10-2013 10:20 AM)sporehux Wrote:  NOVA is so biased towards rational thinking.

Is rational thinking a bias? An issue of semantics, most likely, but I don't think you can call using facts a bias.

pssst... it's called "sarcasm".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

Find all posts by this user
09-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Psssst...I know.

But, I get this accusation from theist friends a lot. Just sayin.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2013, 11:05 PM
(09-10-2013 08:14 PM)Diogenes of Mayberry Wrote:  Psssst...I know.

But, I get this accusation from theist friends a lot. Just sayin.

Confused You do?

Hmm... Consider gotta be a joke here somewhere ... like ...

What kind of moron is a rational theist? Shy

an oxymoron

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
10-10-2013, 12:11 PM
(08-10-2013 08:13 PM)DoubtingDragon Wrote:  I know the court scenes are just re-enactments, but I really like how the judge seems genuinely interested, with an open mind and seems to want to learn what both sides have to say. I haven't got to the end of the program, so don't know how it turns out. But I do hope this is an accurate depiction of the judge.

I was floored with what I learned last night about evolution. SO fascinating. And thanks DLJ for your vid. I'll check it out for sure after this one.

Well, the wife and I are off to watch the second half. Glad you all enjoyed it.

Here are two presentation given by two of the witnesses for the plaintiffs, Ken Miller (the Catholic biology textbook author) and Neil Shubin (the co-discoverer of Tiktaalik). I hope you enjoy and learn something new.

[Image: qce9oP7.gif]
10-10-2013, 12:56 PM
If people are finding it so hard to reconcile facts and theory with their preconceived assertions then why don't they simply let go of their assertions?
10-10-2013, 12:58 PM
(10-10-2013 12:56 PM)Stevil Wrote:  If people are finding it so hard to reconcile facts and theory with their preconceived assertions then why don't they simply let go of their assertions?

faith.

Who chased you in here? Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
10-10-2013, 02:58 PM
(10-10-2013 12:58 PM)kim Wrote:  
(10-10-2013 12:56 PM)Stevil Wrote:  If people are finding it so hard to reconcile facts and theory with their preconceived assertions then why don't they simply let go of their assertions?
faith.
Its almost like "faith" is a double dare thing.
Everyone wants to show how brave they are, despite how stupid they know they are behaving to prove it.
Like eating a massive steak, or eating the most chillies, or believing dispite the contradictory evidence.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
10-10-2013, 03:03 PM
I really loved that the guy questioning the biology text books was a cop. Not a scientist, not an educator, but a cop. Call me crazy if you wiil but I think text books should be picked by people with relevant experience to the subject at hand

The main two characters on that board are yahoos in the first degree. It's sad that they caused such commotion in that community.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
10-10-2013, 03:15 PM
(10-10-2013 03:03 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  The main two characters on that board are yahoos in the first degree. It's sad that they caused such commotion in that community.
The great thing was that ID went before the courts, it had the opportunity once and for all to prove itself as science. The judge was hand picked by ID supporters Bush and Santorum.

The judge, after hearing all the evidence stated that ID is not science. It was a fantastic outcome.