NRA has 2 speeds, sell more or do nothing.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
01-07-2016, 12:46 PM
RE: NRA has 2 speeds, sell more or do nothing.
(01-07-2016 12:34 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(01-07-2016 11:34 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Acting and talking like a 10-year-old in the schoolyard isn't helping your argument any. Just sayin'.

Chas is being more rational in this thread than you are.

No the fucking gun worshipers are the brats, problem is those brats support a lobby and a party and and industry that has absolutely no desire to reduce gun violence. He's not being a brat, neither am I. We are reacting to real humans being hurt and dying and their family members who are going to be mentally scared for the rest of their lives because of your fucking selfishly living in a bubble.

So stop me too asshole. We use voting, are you saying we have no right to vote?

FYI asshole, I know people who own guns who understand there is a problem and don't agree with the GOP or the NRA.

Now we really would love it if people would work with us, but no, the status quo of the amount of gun violence in America is unacceptable. Making more and or doing nothing and our crappy vetting system isn't working.

I'm with him, fuck the NRA AND FUCK THE GOP!

I guess I set the bar too high with "10-year-old in the schoolyard". You sound more like a 5-year-old who just learned the words "fuck" and "asshole". If you have a rational argument that you can present without ranting and obscenity, please present it.

By the way, I am not a "gun nut". I think Americans are overly obsessed with guns, and would welcome a way to keep them out of the hands of lunatics, terrorists, etc. But neither you nor Gawdzilla has come close to presenting any solutions. You just rant and wave your hands, and anyone who disagrees with you even a little bit is an "asshole".

Yes, Chas has been much more reasonable than you two. Even onlinebiker, who has a tendency to be a bit over the top -- and with whom I often disagree -- is being more reasonable than you two.

Note that I have made it through an entire post without using a single obscenity (other than quoting yours). Try it some time.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2016, 12:47 PM
(30-06-2016 04:43 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(30-06-2016 04:12 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Sorry Chas, but this is a classic red herring.

How many people are killed by assailants wielding wine bottles? And why doesn't the army use beer bottles as assault weapons; it'd save the taxpayers millions? Plus you could drink the ammunition on a hot day. And trying to hold up a bank with a wine bottle? The tellers would just fall about laughing.

He didn't say violent death just deaths, I see no point in going to absurdities that don't have anything to do with what people are actually saying.

I only responded specifically to Chas with—as you claim—an "absurdity" because he posted an equally absurd argument about alcohol-related deaths being greater than gun-related deaths. Although I note you didn't criticise that at the time. Why not—do you agree with its relevance?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
01-07-2016, 01:03 PM
(01-07-2016 12:16 PM)Armageddon it Wrote:  Cool. What's your favorite?

Browning M2 .50 cal. HMG.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-07-2016, 01:11 PM
(01-07-2016 12:46 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(01-07-2016 12:34 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  No the fucking gun worshipers are the brats, problem is those brats support a lobby and a party and and industry that has absolutely no desire to reduce gun violence. He's not being a brat, neither am I. We are reacting to real humans being hurt and dying and their family members who are going to be mentally scared for the rest of their lives because of your fucking selfishly living in a bubble.

So stop me too asshole. We use voting, are you saying we have no right to vote?

FYI asshole, I know people who own guns who understand there is a problem and don't agree with the GOP or the NRA.

Now we really would love it if people would work with us, but no, the status quo of the amount of gun violence in America is unacceptable. Making more and or doing nothing and our crappy vetting system isn't working.

I'm with him, fuck the NRA AND FUCK THE GOP!

I guess I set the bar too high with "10-year-old in the schoolyard". You sound more like a 5-year-old who just learned the words "fuck" and "asshole". If you have a rational argument that you can present without ranting and obscenity, please present it.

By the way, I am not a "gun nut". I think Americans are overly obsessed with guns, and would welcome a way to keep them out of the hands of lunatics, terrorists, etc. But neither you nor Gawdzilla has come close to presenting any solutions. You just rant and wave your hands, and anyone who disagrees with you even a little bit is an "asshole".

Yes, Chas has been much more reasonable than you two. Even onlinebiker, who has a tendency to be a bit over the top -- and with whom I often disagree -- is being more reasonable than you two.

Note that I have made it through an entire post without using a single obscenity (other than quoting yours). Try it some time.

No asshole, your patronizing others is nothing more than YOUR childish attempt demonize sane people who are merely reacting to real deaths.

If you care more about my word choice than you do the victims of Pulse or Newtown ect ect ect ect ect.... Then your priorities as a human suck and you lack empathy for those victims.

Not playing that game. No more being nice about it. Now, if you want me to be "polite" then stop allowing the GOP AND NRA to keep ponying up with the same old bullshit dodges and lies that obstruct doing anything pragmatic.

Outside that, if you aren't willing to pull your head out of the sand, no. I will not coddle your insecurities because in reality that is what you are trying to do, justify the paranoia of the nuts.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
01-07-2016, 01:30 PM
(30-06-2016 06:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  It is most certainly not a red herring in the context of this thread.

Life has risks and many of them are consequences of our own choices. It is a societal decision to have millions of cars driven by hardly qualified people, to have largely unrestricted access to alcohol, to pollute the air and water.

We each choose to live with certain risks, assuming one has recognized and considered them. We try, as a society and as individuals, to mitigate know risks through laws and education. We have laws regarding who can use of automobiles and alcohol, we have laws that punish their misuse.

Alcohol is a systemic poison, automobiles are an environmental disaster. Each of them cause more deaths than do firearms.

Now go ahead with the "yabut"s, but firearms have legitimate utility.

Again, it's a nonsense to compare motor vehicle fatalities with firearm fatalities. (And I'm actually surprised you did this Chas). Cars are definitely not designed and manufactured specifically to project a deadly missile, as are guns. That's any/all gun's sole raison d'être in the first place. And yes; of course cars can in certain circumstances be considered deadly weapons. I know that in most US states a car is considered just that if, when being pursued by police, it collides with another moving vehicle or strikes a pedestrian.

That's like saying (just as ridiculously) that more people are killed by drowning than are killed by sky-diving; therefore skydiving is intrinsically safe.

And living in a very small, isolated rural town, I must have a car. But I certainly don't need to have a gun.

01-07-2016, 01:35 PM
(01-07-2016 01:11 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(01-07-2016 12:46 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I guess I set the bar too high with "10-year-old in the schoolyard". You sound more like a 5-year-old who just learned the words "fuck" and "asshole". If you have a rational argument that you can present without ranting and obscenity, please present it.

No asshole, your patronizing others is nothing more than YOUR childish attempt demonize sane people who are merely reacting to real deaths.

If you care more about my word choice than you do the victims of Pulse or Newtown ect ect ect ect ect.... Then your priorities as a human suck and you lack empathy for those victims.

Not playing that game. No more being nice about it. Now, if you want me to be "polite" then stop allowing the GOP AND NRA to keep ponying up with the same old bullshit dodges and lies that obstruct doing anything pragmatic.

Outside that, if you aren't willing to pull your head out of the sand, no. I will not coddle your insecurities because in reality that is what you are trying to do, justify the paranoia of the nuts.

I'm no fan of the NRA, but 90% of the paranoia in this thread is coming from you. Hysteria will not convince anyone of anything. Settle down a bit and people might listen to you. It will also help if you come up with something a bit more subtle than Guns bad! NRA bad! GOP bad! Brian smash!
01-07-2016, 01:44 PM
(01-07-2016 01:35 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(01-07-2016 01:11 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  No asshole, your patronizing others is nothing more than YOUR childish attempt demonize sane people who are merely reacting to real deaths.

I'm no fan of the NRA, but 90% of the paranoia in this thread is coming from you. Hysteria will not convince anyone of anything. Settle down a bit and people might listen to you. It will also help if you come up with something a bit more subtle than Guns bad! NRA bad! GOP bad! Brian smash!

NO it is not. I didn't imagine Pulse. I didn't imagine Charleston. I didn't imagine Newtown or Columbine. I didn't imagine the recent story out of Texas of a mentally ill mother and gun nut murdering both her daughters. I see news stories every single day about gun violence, even out here in the sticks where I live.

No and knock it off. "Guns bad" yes, in the wrong hands they are. And we make too many and they are way to easy to get. Reacting to real problems is not "paranoia". Fear of change that allows the amount of gun violence we have, THAT is the real paranoia.

No, I will not be polite about it, we have way too much gun violence. Don't like my word choice, too bad. Not going to coddle the insecurities of the really paranoid.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
01-07-2016, 01:53 PM
Word choice matters. If you continue to come across as a raving lunatic, people will continue to ignore you or laugh at you.
01-07-2016, 02:23 PM
(01-07-2016 11:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-07-2016 11:06 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I don't care if you do it or not, people proudly claim they do this. You and I will probably never share any space, so you personally are irrelevant to me.

Then stop generalizing about gun owners.

LOL... you mean precisely as you do about the anti-gun lobby?

At any rate, I'm only "anti" in the very broad sense; as ex-military and a sports target shooter it'd be hypocritical of me anyway. The fact that the sales of guns and gun ownership need to be far more strictly regulated is a given.

I can see that this entire thread has split firmly between the gun owners camp and the anti-gun lobby; there's no "grey" area. And never will be.

Oh, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet." —RK.

01-07-2016, 03:25 PM
(01-07-2016 11:06 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(01-07-2016 10:47 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  So if we take off alternating Tuesdays, we're good in your book, eh??

I understand you can't hold a rational conversation on this topic.

Let's just see how "reasonable" you are....

You claim -- and I quote "Carrying 24/7 is paranoid". That's rather definitive.

You made a claim -- now quantify it to a position where carrying is NOT paranoid...

Is it one day a week? Two ??? Every third full moon???? When do you think it's reasonable for a person to carry a gun?????

I'm betting all we're going to see here is insults and snark --- you will not answer the question -- without contradicting yourself and showing dishonesty....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.