NRA has 2 speeds, sell more or do nothing.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
24-06-2016, 05:50 PM
RE: NRA has 2 speeds, sell more or do nothing.
(24-06-2016 05:48 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 05:41 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Because that idea is profitable to them.

Gun manufactures and gun owners have aligned interest. Nothing evil about that. But it is stupid to pretend the NRA is only trying to protect the profits of gun manufactures.
Why? They're a business, and businesses need to make profits. They're just doing the profiting off dead people.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
24-06-2016, 06:14 PM
(24-06-2016 05:50 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 05:48 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Gun manufactures and gun owners have aligned interest. Nothing evil about that. But it is stupid to pretend the NRA is only trying to protect the profits of gun manufactures.
Why? They're a business, and businesses need to make profits. They're just doing the profiting off dead people.

No shit, look how long it took scientists to get led out of gas. Look how long it took for Nadar to get car companies to make safer cars.

The NRA WAS a gun safety org a long time ago. But if anyone tries to claim that now I will laugh in their face.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
24-06-2016, 08:48 PM
(24-06-2016 05:41 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 05:31 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  They also care about people's right to own guns.

Because that idea is profitable to them.

The National Rifle Association of America (NRA) is an American nonprofit organization which advocates for gun rights. Founded in 1871, the group has informed its members about firearm-related bills since 1934, and it has directly lobbied for and against legislation since 1975.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
24-06-2016, 08:49 PM
(24-06-2016 05:50 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 05:48 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Gun manufactures and gun owners have aligned interest. Nothing evil about that. But it is stupid to pretend the NRA is only trying to protect the profits of gun manufactures.

The National Rifle Association of America (NRA) is an American nonprofit organization which advocates for gun rights. Founded in 1871, the group has informed its members about firearm-related bills since 1934, and it has directly lobbied for and against legislation since 1975.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-06-2016, 08:51 PM
(24-06-2016 06:14 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 05:50 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Why? They're a business, and businesses need to make profits. They're just doing the profiting off dead people.

No shit, look how long it took scientists to get led out of gas. Look how long it took for Nadar to get car companies to make safer cars.

The NRA WAS a gun safety org a long time ago. But if anyone tries to claim that now I will laugh in their face.

It was never just a gun safety organization, but it is still as much a gun safety organization as it has always been.
24-06-2016, 09:37 PM
(24-06-2016 05:28 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  They don't care about gun owners or gun death. They ceased to be the gun safety org they started out as decades ago. They only care about protecting the profits of gun factories.
Yes I agree with this, as I just said.

(24-06-2016 05:28 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  No shit, we have a right to self defense no fucking shit.
You really sure you wanna take that attitude towards me when I just got done saying the NRA can go fuck it's self as it's just a lobbying arm of gun manufacturers? I mean if you wanna go off and set the tone of this conversation to "hysterically unreasonable" mode that's fine but I'm not really interested, I could just as easily have it with any of my friends who support more strict gun control laws.

(24-06-2016 05:28 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Tell me when that meant a free for all?
Hyperbole is not going to get you anywhere it's not a "free for all" in any sense of the word. For starters violent crime is down in the last 20ish years...dramatically, and that includes gun violence and homicides.

So when you say "free for all" I don't know what you mean. Do you mean the number of guns? Gun sales are up but that has not put a dent in the decline of gun violence. Do you mean high capacity magazines? The vast majority of homicides involving guns are handguns many of which have 10 or less rounds, a Colt 1911 only has 7. We will touch on this again in a second.
[Image: File:Ushomicidesbyweapon.svg] Do you mean mass shootings? They make up about 1% of gun homicides.

Unless you mean the ease of getting firearms for people that have a history that should rationally prelude them from being able to buy a firearm, which I would agree with is a fairly disconcerting issue (I'd actually back a law that precludes violent sex offenders, people with histories of domestic violence, or multiple counts of assault for a brief example). It would be helpful if federal and local governments actually bothered to enforce a lot of the laws already on the books, but I still fail to see this "free for all" you mentioned.

(24-06-2016 05:28 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  We do have a defense, cops and military.
Um.....no, just no. This has always bewildered me, this mentality, that our defense should be left to the police. First off it's just not feasible unless you have a police officer in every building and on every street which is not a thing that should EVER be allowed to happen. Secondly .....a cursory examination of history should be enough to tell you that police forces are almost universally willing to violate human rights if given the orders too do so by what they view as an overriding authority. This has been shown time and time and time again, and historically it takes VERY little time for for a regular police force to become and oppressive organization.

Don't get me wrong I'm very much happy with the vast majority of police but they are just not designed to take over or replace the defense of individuals. They don't have the tools nor the ability to do so, nor should they be given them. That's not their role in civil society. The defense of the individual is up to that individual or that individuals legal guardian.

As for the military....they can't legally operate inside the US is my understanding so I'm not sure how they are supposed to help with the day to day defense of civilians or reduce violent crime.

(24-06-2016 05:28 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  But if you can't hit a target in 8 shots, you should not have a firearm.
According to who? You? I'd love to know how that's not a completely arbitrary number. What if there are 9 targets? Just because you hit the guy doesn't mean he's no longer a threat. I know guys in Afghanistan who would put 4 or 5+ shitty 5.56 rounds into an insurgent and have that guy return fire for a looong while. I mean... this is just such a non-argument for me, but lets just say, for the sake of argument, that congress passed a law reducing magazine sizes to 8 rounds. It wouldn't do a damn thing to reduce gun violence as, like I said above, the VAST majority of gun related violence is from handguns with magazines rarely larger than 10 rounds. It might feel nice to pass the law, people might feel like they are finally doing something, but it won't actually DO anything to curb gun crime. It just wont.
I'm genuinely curious what you think it would accomplish though.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
24-06-2016, 09:38 PM
(24-06-2016 05:31 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 05:28 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  They only care about protecting the profits of gun factories.

They also care about people's right to own guns.
Jesus fuck man, we literally just went over how they really really don't.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
25-06-2016, 05:08 AM
(24-06-2016 08:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 05:41 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Because that idea is profitable to them.

And the officers work for free? Facepalm
25-06-2016, 05:44 AM
(25-06-2016 05:08 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 08:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  The National Rifle Association of America (NRA) is an American nonprofit organization which advocates for gun rights. Founded in 1871, the group has informed its members about firearm-related bills since 1934, and it has directly lobbied for and against legislation since 1975.

And the officers work for free? Facepalm

You don't seem to understand the difference between salary and profit.

25-06-2016, 05:45 AM
(24-06-2016 08:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 05:50 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Why? They're a business, and businesses need to make profits. They're just doing the profiting off dead people.

You might as well not even try with Brian and lizardboy.....

They're long on insults, short on results...

I'm still waiting for the whiny little bitch to tell us his wonderful plan of how he's going to "limit the manufacturers" from "flooding the market".......

It keeps failing to materialize.

Safe money says it never will.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.