NRA has 2 speeds, sell more or do nothing.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
02-07-2016, 05:06 PM
RE: NRA has 2 speeds, sell more or do nothing.
I'd like to respond to this question too if I may...

(01-07-2016 04:21 PM)Armageddon it Wrote:  Ok, I understand, it's perspective. As for the paranoia perspective, what makes you think so? What form of altered reality, delusion, or irrationality do you think they perceive?

I'd describe paranoid as this: When you walk around in your neighbourhood or locale with an imagined fear that you're likely to be physically assaulted and/or your life put in mortal danger by the premeditated intent of a criminal. And to assuage that fear, you carry a firearm in order to seriously injure or kill any such attacker.

In Australia, the odds of being assaulted and/or raped are approximately 1 in 171,000 (which includes both public places and within the home). —Australian Institute of Criminology, Facts & figures: 2013

The rate of street crime is relatively low in Australia, and I can only assume it's much higher(?) in the US—which could be a mitigating reason as to why so many law-abiding citizens carry guns, or want the right to carry guns.

It's illegal in Australia to open carry or concealed carry any/all weapons—including all bladed weapons.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2016, 05:17 PM
(02-07-2016 09:30 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  The majority of these daily gun deaths are suicides. Suicides are not "gun violence." [...]

Uh... is this claim meant be humorous, or are you simply being sardonic here?

You can't possibly believe that suicide by firearm is not violent can you? Have you ever seen the victim of such a self-inflicted assault, with their brains splattered across a nearby wall or their intestines spilling over the floor? I'm guessing not, otherwise you wouldn't be so dismissive of gun suicides.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
02-07-2016, 05:21 PM
(02-07-2016 05:17 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(02-07-2016 09:30 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  The majority of these daily gun deaths are suicides. Suicides are not "gun violence." [...]

You can't possibly believe that suicide by firearm is not violent can you? Have you ever seen the victim of such a self-inflicted assault, with their brains splattered across a nearby wall or their intestines spilling over the floor? I'm guessing not, otherwise you wouldn't be so dismissive of gun suicides.

He's being stupid.

#sigh
02-07-2016, 05:51 PM
(02-07-2016 05:17 PM)SYZ Wrote:  

Homicide, suicide, and accidental death are all recorded separately.

Someone's suicide is rarely a danger to others, so it shouldn't fall under some general catch-all like 'gun violence'. To do so is, at best, misleading.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-07-2016, 09:18 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2016 10:38 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-07-2016 05:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-07-2016 05:17 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Uh... is this claim meant be humorous, or are you simply being sardonic here?

Homicide, suicide, and accidental death are all recorded separately.

Someone's suicide is rarely a danger to others, so it shouldn't fall under some general catch-all like 'gun violence'. To do so is, at best, misleading.

You're right. We should call it happiness is a warm gun instead.

Happiness is a warm gun
(Bang bang, shoot shoot)
Happiness is a warm gun mama
(Bang bang, shoot shoot)

#sigh
02-07-2016, 10:21 PM
"Have you ever listened to someone talk, and you agree with what they're saying, but after listening to them for a while you start to think 'If they don't shut the fuck up, I'm going to the other side,'?"

Lewis Black

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
03-07-2016, 08:42 AM
There are so many guns both legal and illegal in the USA that as far as I can see the only way to appreciably reduce gun death would be to invent a time machine go back in time and some how change the constitution. Being as how that isn't going to happen anytime soon and given the size of the USA and its borders I as a non gun liking Brit have been persuaded that owning a firearm for personal protection and hunting in America is perhaps not an unreasonable proposition something I thought I would never hear myself say but there it is you guys have to work with what you have and I cant see how extra controls are going to make a jot of difference in the medium or even long term, there are simply too many already in circulation. There is however an unhealthy cult of gun worship in the US perhaps working to change attitudes towards firearms starting with the very young would bear fruit in future generations a bit like how its done with smoking.