NRA has 2 speeds, sell more or do nothing.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
26-06-2016, 09:01 PM
RE: NRA has 2 speeds, sell more or do nothing.
(24-06-2016 05:01 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  I believe that people have an intrinsic right to self defense and that means in this day and age, like it or not, firearms.....that said fuck the NRA. They talk and talk and talk about how they are a champion of the people's rights to own firearms and they go on and on and on about it but every time it comes down to them acting in the interests of gun owners and gun manufacturers......the manufacturers always win out.

They are a corporate lobby and don't give a piss about gun owners.

Read my refutation of that - the majority of NRA funds come from members, not manufacturers.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2016, 08:34 PM
(26-06-2016 09:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 05:01 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  I believe that people have an intrinsic right to self defense and that means in this day and age, like it or not, firearms.....that said fuck the NRA. They talk and talk and talk about how they are a champion of the people's rights to own firearms and they go on and on and on about it but every time it comes down to them acting in the interests of gun owners and gun manufacturers......the manufacturers always win out.

They are a corporate lobby and don't give a piss about gun owners.

Read my refutation of that - the majority of NRA funds come from members, not manufacturers.

I didn't say they did.

I'm talking about things like the fact that the vast vast majority of gun owners and the majority of NRA members wanting criminal background checks on the sale of all firearms. This a a thing the NRA and affiliated groups have fought against, which directly aids the gun manufactures.

For example.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
Find all posts by this user
27-06-2016, 08:38 PM
(26-06-2016 07:23 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  I believe.....

I could not physically care less about what your opinion is and I didn't read past the above. If I want an opinion of your worth... I will ask my fern.

Just so we are clear.

27-06-2016, 09:58 PM
(27-06-2016 08:34 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(26-06-2016 09:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  Read my refutation of that - the majority of NRA funds come from members, not manufacturers.

I didn't say they did.

I'm talking about things like the fact that the vast vast majority of gun owners and the majority of NRA members wanting criminal background checks on the sale of all firearms. This a a thing the NRA and affiliated groups have fought against, which directly aids the gun manufactures.

For example.

I think you vastly overestimate any benefit to gun manufacturers. They're not going to lose many sales due to more background checks.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-06-2016, 10:57 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2016 11:51 PM by WhiskeyDebates.)
(27-06-2016 09:58 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 08:34 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  I didn't say they did.

For example.

I think you vastly overestimate any benefit to gun manufacturers. They're not going to lose many sales due to more background checks.
I have no idea what the benefit or loss to the manufactures is or would be, I've simply stated and gave an example where the NRA puts the desires and welfare of the gun manufactures ahead of gun owners and what they want.

27-06-2016, 11:54 PM
(27-06-2016 10:57 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 09:58 PM)Chas Wrote:  I think you vastly overestimate any benefit to gun manufacturers. They're not going to lose many sales due to more background checks.
I have no idea what the benefit or loss to the manufactures is or would be, I've simply stated and gave an example where the NRA puts the desires and welfare of the gun manufactures ahead of gun owners and what they want.

It's cheaper to subvert those who lead than to do the same with the membership Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
28-06-2016, 11:44 AM
(27-06-2016 08:34 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(26-06-2016 09:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  Read my refutation of that - the majority of NRA funds come from members, not manufacturers.

I didn't say they did.

For example.

The poll you link to is completely fabricated. Whoever conducted it did it with malicious intent.

The fact is, the leaders of the NRA are elected. 76 members elected to 3 year terms. Every time a pro background check candidate is on the ballot, they've lost. NRA members have the option to change the NRA's position if they really wanted it by electing these pro background check people but it never happens. We've had pro background check candidates laughed out of meetings. I attend local NRA meetings and the annual convention. There has never been a major call to change the official NRA position. If 72% of convention attendees walked into the convention and demanded background checks, it would happen. The majority of NRA funding comes from membership and member donations, not gun manufacturers.

If that poll was correct, things would change. It's completely bogus.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
28-06-2016, 12:41 PM
(28-06-2016 11:44 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  The poll you link to is completely fabricated. Whoever conducted it did it with malicious intent.

No fucking way. My good friend, Whiskey Debates, does not make obvious mistakes like that. Nobody is smarter than Whiskey Debunks.

You, Lord Dark Dick Head, are an idiot. You do not deserve to even be in a discussion with Whiskey Debunks.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
28-06-2016, 01:39 PM
(28-06-2016 11:44 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  The poll you link to is completely fabricated. Whoever conducted it did it with malicious intent.
So you disagree with the methodology? Please state specifically what your objections are. Are the people who conducted it partisan? Are the questions on the poll ambiguous? Did they perhaps carefully select the people they approached to participate in the poll, to ensure that they would answer as the poll-conductors wanted? And *on what basis do you make those allegations*?

Quote:If that poll was correct, things would change. It's completely bogus.
I see, the poll disagrees with your preconceived ideas, therefore it must be incorrect. Rolleyes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
28-06-2016, 02:08 PM
About the poll.

816 is a small sample group although ethnically it seems to be a pretty fair representation of the US population. However 24% (about 200) of the people surveyed claimed NRA membership. That's way higher than the actual numbers of about 1.4% (4.5 million). The polls stated percentage of NRA members alone makes the results suspect, but there is also the sample size thing... I'd like to see the raw numbers but percentages are all they have made available.

There were a couple of other interesting results. For example the biggest reason for whites to own a gun was hunting. For blacks and Latinos it was self defense. All minorities choose express support for the second amendment as an answer for why they owned a gun at about twice the rate of whites. At 72% total 20% more of the Latinos also felt that the NRA represented their interests as gun owners than whites at 52%. 51% of all people surveyed felt the NRA had their backs on gun issues.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]