NRA has 2 speeds, sell more or do nothing.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
28-06-2016, 02:14 PM
RE: NRA has 2 speeds, sell more or do nothing.
(28-06-2016 01:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-06-2016 11:44 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  The poll you link to is completely fabricated. Whoever conducted it did it with malicious intent.
So you disagree with the methodology? Please state specifically what your objections are. Are the people who conducted it partisan? Are the questions on the poll ambiguous? Did they perhaps carefully select the people they approached to participate in the poll, to ensure that they would answer as the poll-conductors wanted? And *on what basis do you make those allegations*?

Quote:If that poll was correct, things would change. It's completely bogus.
I see, the poll disagrees with your preconceived ideas, therefore it must be incorrect. Rolleyes

I showed you exactly why the poll is bogus. I spelled it out in plain English. Because I understand the inner workings of the NRA, I know for a fact that 72% of NRA members do not want expanded background checks. The reason is simple. If NRA members really wanted expanded background checks, we would vote for people to be on our board of directors that support expanded background checks. However, the candidates that support expanded background checks do not get elected to the board of directors. Thousands upon thousands of us show up to the annual NRA convention and it isn't even a topic of discussion. I've attended local NRA meetings in Florida, Texas, Washington and Arizona and its never even been brought up. If 72% of us wanted expanded background checks, we would vote for those candidates for board membership so they could change the official NRA position. But it just doesn't happen.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2016, 02:46 PM
(28-06-2016 02:14 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(28-06-2016 01:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  So you disagree with the methodology? Please state specifically what your objections are. Are the people who conducted it partisan? Are the questions on the poll ambiguous? Did they perhaps carefully select the people they approached to participate in the poll, to ensure that they would answer as the poll-conductors wanted? And *on what basis do you make those allegations*?

I see, the poll disagrees with your preconceived ideas, therefore it must be incorrect. Rolleyes

I showed you exactly why the poll is bogus. I spelled it out in plain English. Because I understand the inner workings of the NRA, I know for a fact that 72% of NRA members do not want expanded background checks. The reason is simple. If NRA members really wanted expanded background checks, we would vote for people to be on our board of directors that support expanded background checks. However, the candidates that support expanded background checks do not get elected to the board of directors. Thousands upon thousands of us show up to the annual NRA convention and it isn't even a topic of discussion. I've attended local NRA meetings in Florida, Texas, Washington and Arizona and its never even been brought up. If 72% of us wanted expanded background checks, we would vote for those candidates for board membership so they could change the official NRA position. But it just doesn't happen.

Are you saying that the poll data was made up? Please provide evidence. ETA: By evidence I don't mean your claim to be an authority - I happen to be the president of the NRA myself, and I have attended loads of meetings where people begged me to expand background checks - see how that works? Provide me either with a published source which disputes the poll data, or something similar.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
28-06-2016, 03:21 PM
(28-06-2016 02:46 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-06-2016 02:14 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I showed you exactly why the poll is bogus. I spelled it out in plain English. Because I understand the inner workings of the NRA, I know for a fact that 72% of NRA members do not want expanded background checks. The reason is simple. If NRA members really wanted expanded background checks, we would vote for people to be on our board of directors that support expanded background checks. However, the candidates that support expanded background checks do not get elected to the board of directors. Thousands upon thousands of us show up to the annual NRA convention and it isn't even a topic of discussion. I've attended local NRA meetings in Florida, Texas, Washington and Arizona and its never even been brought up. If 72% of us wanted expanded background checks, we would vote for those candidates for board membership so they could change the official NRA position. But it just doesn't happen.

Are you saying that the poll data was made up? Please provide evidence. ETA: By evidence I don't mean your claim to be an authority - I happen to be the president of the NRA myself, and I have attended loads of meetings where people begged me to expand background checks - see how that works? Provide me either with a published source which disputes the poll data, or something similar.

Gun Owners Of America and the NRA have both conducted polling of their members. Both have results in the 5% or less range of support for expanded background checks.

https://www.gunowners.org/04052013congress.htm

If you look at the polls that say NRA members want background checks, NRA members are overrepresented in relation to actual U.S. population. NRA members make up about 1% of the population but these polls somehow manage to find 20-30% of respondents as NRA members. That just doesn't make sense.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
28-06-2016, 04:06 PM
(28-06-2016 03:21 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(28-06-2016 02:46 PM)morondog Wrote:  Are you saying that the poll data was made up? Please provide evidence. ETA: By evidence I don't mean your claim to be an authority - I happen to be the president of the NRA myself, and I have attended loads of meetings where people begged me to expand background checks - see how that works? Provide me either with a published source which disputes the poll data, or something similar.

Gun Owners Of America and the NRA have both conducted polling of their members. Both have results in the 5% or less range of support for expanded background checks.

If you look at the polls that say NRA members want background checks, NRA members are overrepresented in relation to actual U.S. population. NRA members make up about 1% of the population but these polls somehow manage to find 20-30% of respondents as NRA members. That just doesn't make sense.

Right, this is the kind of thing that constitutes meaningful disagreement. Having read the original poll summary (linked in WhiskeyDebates's post), poll was among 816 gun owners, conducted by a crowd called "Public Policy Polling". Dated November 2015. Unfortunately that's all the detail they give. No indication of how poll participants were selected (self-selected, random sample) etc that I could find. Possibly they've got a more detailed report somewhere I guess... I hope anyway. 24% of the gun owners surveyed were NRA members - I can believe that depending what the NRA membership among gun owners as a demographic is? Hmm... wikipedia... argh.

Anyway, the wikipedia article on the NRA itself references a different poll, published in the New England journal of medicine - a pretty reliable source - which shows support for a universal background check - although I'm not sure what this entails. Study published in 2013.

Quote:For instance, 84% of gun-owners and 74% of NRA members (vs. 90% of non–gun-owners) supported requiring a universal background-check system for all gun sales; 76% of gun-owners and 62% of NRA members (vs. 83% of non–gun-owners) supported prohibiting gun ownership for 10 years after a person has been convicted of violating a domestic-violence restraining order; and 71% of gun-owners and 70% of NRA members (vs. 78% of non–gun-owners) supported requiring a mandatory minimum sentence of 2 years in prison for a person convicted of selling a gun to someone who cannot legally have a gun
Quoted from Wikipedia.

Your link isn't that great either though. No actual references to identify the NRA study of "about 1000 members", nor the GOA study of "25000 members" *or* to the polls that they supposedly refute. They have links to some other polls that don't seem relevant. Hah. The "Quinnipiac poll" report that they link they only partially quote - they say "by a margin of 48-38%, Americans think background checks will lead to confiscation" they don't complete the quote which is "But the poll also showed support for background checks remains nearly universal."

The CBS news poll that they link just is that "Support for stricter gun control wanes" Rolleyes God. Why can't people just do normal stats and not fuck around. What the fuck does "support for stricter gun control wanes" - a very general statement - have to do with the specific statement that NRA membership in general supports this universal background check?

Look, the NRA/GOA studies are probably there on google somewhere, I'm not gonna chase it. But if it's supposed to refute these other studies then just stating their pro-gun poll results without linking the studies isn't quite sufficient. Sure, for a newspaper article. Otherwise not.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
28-06-2016, 04:09 PM
(28-06-2016 03:21 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(28-06-2016 02:46 PM)morondog Wrote:  Are you saying that the poll data was made up? Please provide evidence. ETA: By evidence I don't mean your claim to be an authority - I happen to be the president of the NRA myself, and I have attended loads of meetings where people begged me to expand background checks - see how that works? Provide me either with a published source which disputes the poll data, or something similar.

Lets not confuse gun owners as all being NRA members. The polls taken by non NRA media are saying most Americans from both parties want things like universal background checks.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-06-2016, 04:19 PM
NRA has 2 speeds, sell more or do nothing.
(28-06-2016 04:09 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(28-06-2016 03:21 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Gun Owners Of America and the NRA have both conducted polling of their members. Both have results in the 5% or less range of support for expanded background checks.

Lets not confuse gun owners as all being NRA members. The polls taken by non NRA media are saying most Americans from both parties want things like universal background checks.

What do you think the universal background checks will do?
28-06-2016, 04:20 PM
Most people would probably also like there to be peace in the middle east.......

Come up with a plan that DOES something, and maybe it'll happen....

or, just complain, as per usual...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
28-06-2016, 04:21 PM
(28-06-2016 04:19 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(28-06-2016 04:09 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Lets not confuse gun owners as all being NRA members. The polls taken by non NRA media are saying most Americans from both parties want things like universal background checks.

What do you think the universal background checks will do?

They will prove that honest, law abiding citizens follow the rules, and criminal fucks, do not........

Facepalm

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
28-06-2016, 04:31 PM
(28-06-2016 04:21 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(28-06-2016 04:19 PM)KUSA Wrote:  What do you think the universal background checks will do?

They will prove that honest, law abiding citizens follow the rules, and criminal fucks, do not........

Facepalm

OH FUCK OFF....... No more of this bullshit. This isn't about punishing anyone you stupid dumbfuck! This is about having better vetting to insure people who have them wont go on to hurt others. Legal at time of buy is not stopping our gun violence problem. It isn't just "criminals" it is gun injury in the home, suicide in the home, domestic murder. Most gun injuries and deaths are IN THE FUCKING HOME YOU FUCKWAD.

So you don't give one shit that the Virginia Tech shooter fell through the cracks? He had no record at the time of his buy, neither did the Orlando shooter.

NO AND FUCK YOU no more bullshit dodges.

You are buying into fear and because of your bullshit paranoia 86 people a day die from gun use on average. If you find that acceptable, you are one sick individual.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-06-2016, 04:39 PM
(28-06-2016 04:31 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(28-06-2016 04:21 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  They will prove that honest, law abiding citizens follow the rules, and criminal fucks, do not........

Facepalm

OH FUCK OFF....... No more of this bullshit. This isn't about punishing anyone you stupid dumbfuck! This is about having better vetting to insure people who have them wont go on to hurt others. Legal at time of buy is not stopping our gun violence problem. It isn't just "criminals" it is gun injury in the home, suicide in the home, domestic murder. Most gun injuries and deaths are IN THE FUCKING HOME YOU FUCKWAD.

So you don't give one shit that the Virginia Tech shooter fell through the cracks? He had no record at the time of his buy, neither did the Orlando shooter.

NO AND FUCK YOU no more bullshit dodges.

You are buying into fear and because of your bullshit paranoia 86 people a day die from gun use on average. If you find that acceptable, you are one sick individual.

And you've got your head so far up Diane Feinstein's ass - you can't hear when people are making sense.....

So fuck you too, dickdrip...