NSA incapable of pulling an NSA?!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2013, 02:08 PM
RE: NSA incapable of pulling an NSA?!
(25-07-2013 01:48 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  I'm not talking about hacking the emails. Emails live on a server, someone is the admin of that server and therefor has access to every email on the server.

That's just it. It's possible to construct a system in which that is not possible. The admin can perform most tasks without ever knowing the content of any of the emails.

If you're going with the highest level of security, then only the sender and recipient ever see the plain message.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2013, 02:25 PM
(25-07-2013 02:08 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 01:48 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  I'm not talking about hacking the emails. Emails live on a server, someone is the admin of that server and therefor has access to every email on the server.

That's just it. It's possible to construct a system in which that is not possible. The admin can perform most tasks without ever knowing the content of any of the emails.

If you're going with the highest level of security, then only the sender and recipient ever see the plain message.

But someone had to create that system. Someone has keys... It may be the head of NSA IT but someone has the keys.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-07-2013, 02:31 PM
(25-07-2013 02:25 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Someone has keys... It may be the head of NSA IT but someone has the keys.

Not if they incorporated user input on creation, a password or passphrase...

25-07-2013, 02:32 PM
And I'm not saying they necessarily did go balls to the wall - again, I freely admit to having done no investigation into this statement whatsoever - because that would actually be a pretty inconvenient system (that's the price you pay for security!).

Just that it's possible...

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
25-07-2013, 02:43 PM
There is always the code base or the raw DB values. At some point they can override it if they want to.

(25-07-2013 02:32 PM)cjlr Wrote:  And I'm not saying they necessarily did go balls to the wall - again, I freely admit to having done no investigation into this statement whatsoever - because that would actually be a pretty inconvenient system (that's the price you pay for security!).

Just that it's possible...

You may be right it wouldn't surprise me if they have some sort of ridiculous custom email server with a million lockdowns and it may require some serious effort to get those emails.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user