NSA intercepts packages to put bugs in them

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2013, 12:05 PM
NSA intercepts packages to put bugs in them
Gizmodo

They built backdoors into lots of products, and for some products they intercept packages to modify the equipment to install bugs.

I keep hoping there's evidence that the 40 million credit/debit cards and pins hacked from Target was only possible because of NSA backdoors. Of course it wouldn't really change people's opinions much, but would be great fodder for the blogs.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes frankksj's post
29-12-2013, 08:45 PM
RE: NSA intercepts packages to put bugs in them
Disgusting as this is, it has nothing to do with Target. Target was hacked at their in-store point-of-sale terminals. Ironically, if you ordered something from Target online and the NSA intercepted it, took it out, played with it, and then put in some backdoor so they could snoop and sent it on its merry way to you, your credit card information would be fine because those firewalls were not penetrated. It was only people who purchased things in the store who were at risk.

At least, that has been the story to this point. Like all things, it is subject to change when people are forced to tell more of the truth.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
29-12-2013, 09:00 PM
NSA sucks.
'Nuff said.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
29-12-2013, 11:56 PM
(29-12-2013 08:45 PM)BnW Wrote:  Target was hacked at their in-store point-of-sale terminals

AFAIK it's more complicated. The hackers got the encrypted pins. But as a software/IT guy, I'm assuming Target used RSA encryption like everybody else does. And RSA is the company that took $10 million from the NSA to use a weak random number generator so that it's easy to break the encryption. I don't know if this affected the same RSA encryption Target used, but, like I said, it's just wishful thinking on my part that I can find a way to blame the NSA for it. Smile