NY Drivers Caught in Christmas Billboard Feud

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2010, 01:38 PM

NY Drivers Caught in Christmas Billboard Feud
AP News Video
There's a face-off of holiday billboards on each end of the Lincoln Tunnel into New York City with an atheist billboard on the New Jersey side and a Catholic billboard on the New York side. (Dec. 1)

Love it!Smile
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2010, 02:48 PM
RE: NY Drivers Caught in Christmas Billboard Feud
Almost makes me regret that I commute into NYC via train and not bus, so I rarely go through the Lincoln Tunnel at all.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Truth or fantasy? It depends on which side of the road you are on. Tongue
04-12-2010, 06:38 PM

(04-12-2010 06:30 PM)No J. Wrote:  Truth or fantasy? It depends on which side of the road you are on. Tongue

Ha ha!Tongue I'd like to see a billboard with the phrase I have on a Tee shirt. The traditional nativity scene with the message at the top, "It's a Girl!" Big Grin

Can't you just see the Fundy driver swerving into a ditch from shock, after reading that one? Tongue
05-12-2010, 05:10 PM
That would be a very full ditch, especially in Alabama. Tongue
05-12-2010, 09:12 PM

(05-12-2010 05:10 PM)No J. Wrote:  That would be a very full ditch, especially in Alabama. Tongue

This is true. Good thing their father who stands to also be their brother, has a tow truck. Praise cheezus. Tongue
06-12-2010, 12:33 PM

OK this may not be a popular stance here, but am I the only one a little embarrassed by this latest trend? I mean I liked the buses that said stuff like "Don't believe in God, you're not alone" because it was more of a you're not alone kind of deal. I just don't think we need to stoop to poking the lion's cage though it seems desparate. I heard a quote today from the atheist group that did the Lincoln tunnel billboard say "this is war". Really? Why? You didn't expect this from the Christians, really? I mean how about a simple "Don't feel alone this holiday season if you don't believe in God go to http://www.whereever. I just think recruiting and petty name calling is their gig.
06-12-2010, 04:12 PM
I'm a big fan of "live and let live" and rarely throw my beliefs, and lack thereof, in anyone's face. However, for some reason religious groups think it is perfectly ok for them to force their world view on anyone within ear shot. I get people knocking on my door, grabbing me in Penn Station, I was even accosted by two Jewish men in a parking lot last year who had a van called the "Mitzvah Mobile" asking me if I wanted to do a prayer and get a blessing from them.

I don't know if this is the best way to convey a message or not but I do think it's very consistent with, if not the actual message, the practical applications of the biblical message "do unto others....".

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
06-12-2010, 05:06 PM

Look I can't say the "taste of your own medicine" angle doesn't give me a smile now and again, but when push comes to shove I just thought we were better than that.
06-12-2010, 05:45 PM

One would think Christians would be better than to insult the whole world by believing, or saying outright, that everyone must be a Christian or burn in hell!

I don't get what atheists have a problem with.

The Christian religion has no problem calling us every name in their book. Sinner, damned, damned sinner, hell bound, ignorant, pitiable, heathen, hedonist, etc...
They smugly believe they own December 25th, claiming a dead Jew is the reason for the season, when centuries before their myth was born Pagans celebrated the Solstice and season of the Sun of the God's, while those traditions are decried as Satanic, or are dismissed as no longer relevant, because a faith claiming to teach love, as proffered by the Catholic League spokesman in the news video from the OP, is intolerant and disrespectful of the traditions that not only preceded their own, but that the Roman Church stole from in order to compile the myth that rules the world today.

When Christians seek to finagle their Creationist bullshit into the public school curriculum by re-naming it, "Intelligent Design Science" while Genesis itself examples a designer not smart enough by chapters 1 and 2, to get his facts straight on the details of creating the first humans, as Christian activist groups continue to demand the right to prayer in school under the 1st amendment, while gays are continually under siege by that faith that teaches love for straights only and pity for damned gay sinners, in the name of the god that made everyone including homosexuals, it's about time the atheist community had a say, when stating boldly what is at the heart of the matter of all that discrimination. MYTH!

When people are told they need to "find Jesus", while reason says if there was a god it's incumbent on that creator to believe in us, as the fictional story of a dead Jew continues to inspire intolerance, violence, discrimination, exclusivism and sectarianism in the name of a get out of hell free card in the form of competition as to who's invisible friend is the one true right way to hold faith in such things, those people who believe none of that are just as entitled to speak back as the faithful believe atheists and all others are deserving of a stern talking to.

As Theists selling salvation door to door, prove. As bold Theists hand New Testaments to perfect stranger while saying; I don't know what it is, but something told me you may need this. When going to a public restroom often affords finding a religious tract waiting on the toilet tissue dispenser, one has but to laugh at the thought of someone reading that during a good long shit and then later, when they're asked to account of their finding Jesus, having to say; I found Christ while taking a dump at WalMart, it becomes blatantly obvious that there is no place Christians won't try to sell their exclusivist religion and in so doing, purport to tell everyone that there's only one way to think about themselves and their life and that entails self-deprecation, it is readily apparent that the road to salvation does not include self-respect! While CSPAN affords the opportunity to witness unintelligent design as a Senator sits in the halls of power joined with others in determining our legal future, and says there's no fear of global warming because the Bible says God will not destroy the world by flood ever again and he believes that, we the people world wide, have a right to say, that's bollocks! Just as publicly as the Theists believe they're so entitled.

America is not a Theocracy! And in a country where freedom of Speech is guaranteed, and freedom of Religion is too, atheists have every right to say the world is just as entitled to be free of religion, as Theists believe the world's people are worthy of being made subject to it.