NZ census result (regarding religion)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2013, 04:57 AM
NZ census result (regarding religion)
So here in New Zealand, land of Lord of the Rings, sheep and nuclear free laws, we had our census this year.
This was a big deal, something I awaited the results to greatly, because our last one was way back in 2006 (due to the Christchurch earthquake demolishing the census building...). The results came back a couple weeks back and they're great news for religion in this shitty country (or lack there of I should say).

[Image: religion_graphb.jpg]

Those that put "no religion" were up 26% on the 2006 census to 1.63million people (out of 4.4million total population.) and those that put Christian (all forms) were down 8% to 1.9million at just over 48% of the total population.

We have a census every 5 years, so the 2018 census is going to be extremely interesting. I think we (no religion) will surpass Christians by than.
This is great news, because while religion has never played a major role in politics IMO this assures it never will.

Go Kiwiland, keep trucking along.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
20-12-2013, 05:39 AM
RE: NZ census result (regarding religion)
Do you need witches? (the witch part is a joke)
Cause I would MOVE there Thumbsup

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
20-12-2013, 05:57 AM
(20-12-2013 04:57 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So here in New Zealand, land of Lord of the Rings, sheep and nuclear free laws, we had our census this year.
This was a big deal, something I awaited the results to greatly, because our last one was way back in 2006 (due to the Christchurch earthquake demolishing the census building...). The results came back a couple weeks back and they're great news for religion in this shitty country (or lack there of I should say).

[Image: religion_graphb.jpg]

Those that put "no religion" were up 26% on the 2006 census to 1.63million people (out of 4.4million total population.) and those that put Christian (all forms) were down 8% to 1.9million at just over 48% of the total population.

We have a census every 5 years, so the 2018 census is going to be extremely interesting. I think we (no religion) will surpass Christians by than.
This is great news, because while religion has never played a major role in politics IMO this assures it never will.

Go Kiwiland, keep trucking along.

Looks like both our nations are doing well on the religion front then, we probably have a bit more a ways to go than you Kiwis but we're not that far behind.

I look forward to our next censuses. 2016 will be an interesting year here in Aus, and '18 in Sheepland.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-12-2013, 05:58 AM
Well that explains the Earthquakes.

[Image: deity.jpg]

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 8 users Like sporehux's post
20-12-2013, 06:06 AM
(20-12-2013 05:58 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Well that explains the Earthquakes.

I wonder if one could explain the big fires and floods in correlation to religion decrease here...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
21-12-2013, 01:57 AM
(20-12-2013 04:57 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The results came back a couple weeks back and they're great news for religion in this shitty country (or lack there of I should say).
NZ is an awesome country.
21-12-2013, 02:05 AM
Every time I open this thread, my anti-virus program alerts me of the fact that your image comes from an infected website; I can't even see it because of that. Dodgy

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
21-12-2013, 03:42 AM
(20-12-2013 06:06 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(20-12-2013 05:58 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Well that explains the Earthquakes.

I wonder if one could explain the big fires and floods in correlation to religion decrease here...
Well if it does it means God has terrible aim. 'Cause he missed me, the biggest sinner unhung, back in the 2009 Kinglake bushfire. But both churches near me in Kinglake were burnt to the ground. Sure he got my house, but I just built a bigger and better one with the insurance money!
[+] 1 user Likes The Misanthrope's post
21-12-2013, 03:45 AM
(21-12-2013 01:57 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(20-12-2013 04:57 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The results came back a couple weeks back and they're great news for religion in this shitty country (or lack there of I should say).
NZ is an awesome country.
It sure is. I was going to retire there but circumstances at the time put the kibosh on that plan. I'm sorry I didn't now. Weeping
21-12-2013, 03:56 AM
Clarification:

(20-12-2013 04:57 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  ...
1.63million people (out of 4.4million total population.)

That is...

1.63 million people
2.77 million sheep

The census question was:
Do you celebrate religious festivals such as christmas?

26% more respondents this year said:
Baaaaaa humbug.

Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post