Name some Movie or documentaries[for atheist]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2017, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2017 08:16 AM by sea_tiger.)
Name some Movie or documentaries[for atheist]
Once I browsed through my friend's video folder,it had many christian movies about different gospel writers,disciples ,how they braved all odds to spread the good news etc[ don't remember the names except for The Passion of the Christ].I see lots of christian movies pop up in news.
Can you give me names of movies,animations or documentaries from atheist perspective? [some thing informative & interesting or boring facts].
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2017, 08:37 AM
RE: Name some Movie or documentaries[for atheist]
I love to bits everything Jim Al-Khalili has ever done (The Beginning and the End of the Universe, Everything and Nothing, Light and Darkness, Order and Disorder, among others).

Hawking's Grand Design is also very good.

Check out BBC documentaries in general. I tend to prefer them to American documentaries.

As for fiction, one of my most favourite TV series, ReGenesis, is Canadian and since it's about a bunch of scientists, pretty much all the characters are atheists and it's said out loud and discussed like the normal thing that it is, not like the big, shocking reveal - gasp! - it often is in American programmes (there was a - very liberal - religionist in the last season, possibly to make it more palatable for the 'murican audiences.)

Generally speaking - look for Canadian and British programmes, places where atheism is pretty much the norm (as least in the latter).

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-05-2017, 08:39 AM
I recommend you dont look for something from an atheist view in the first place: Heres why: Atheism is not where you should start at but you should start by being
#sceptic
#intellectual honest (accept facts even if they dont fit your current view)
#rational

If your conclusion will be theist, deist or atheist is your own business. Atheism is not like religion, where you start with your belief and try to feed your bias/belief. This is not a pathway to find out what is real or not.

Look for something that uses the approach with the criteria i mentioned above. It may not be easy to find such sources, but this is what you should target.

Hint: A movie with a scientific (not pseudoscientific!!!!) approach should be best, because science has a pretty good track record. Just look around you, look at all the trees devices and accomodations around you that make your life worth living.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
09-05-2017, 08:48 AM
(09-05-2017 08:39 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  I recommend you dont look for something from an atheist view in the first place: Heres why: Atheism is not where you should start at but you should start by being
#---------------------Hint: A movie with a scientific (not pseudoscientific!!!!) approach should be best, because science has a pretty good track record. Just look around you, look at all the trees devices and accomodations around you that make your life worth living.

Do you have some suggestions[ Names] ?Smile
09-05-2017, 08:59 AM
Does Dogma count? I mean it's pretty religious in nature, but it makes fun of religiousness and George Carlin plays the Cardinal.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
09-05-2017, 09:02 AM
I haven't seen it so I don't know but humour/comedy/satire are fine.
09-05-2017, 09:07 AM
Definitely see it Big Grin

'Murican Canadian
09-05-2017, 09:14 AM

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
09-05-2017, 09:21 AM
"The Man from Earth" is pretty cool although it may not be "atheist" in the sense I think you mean.

"Black Death" isn't bad either with a strongly secular message.

I'll third "Dogma" as being awesome! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Grauwyler's post
09-05-2017, 10:01 AM
(09-05-2017 08:48 AM)sea_tiger Wrote:  
(09-05-2017 08:39 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  I recommend you dont look for something from an atheist view in the first place: Heres why: Atheism is not where you should start at but you should start by being
#---------------------Hint: A movie with a scientific (not pseudoscientific!!!!) approach should be best, because science has a pretty good track record. Just look around you, look at all the trees devices and accomodations around you that make your life worth living.

Do you have some suggestions[ Names] ?Smile

Depends on the topic or field of interest.
Geology?
(Astro)physics?
Biology?
Paleontology?

For fun (with lots of inherent and hidden truth about human behaviour) i can recommend Dogma and Life of Brian. Very interesting "what if" approaches mixed with analysis of human behaviour (okok, and Salma Hayek as a stripper, but thats a competely different topic).

In general BBC docus are nice. They are indeed less sensational (and dumbed down) than lots of american docus.

If you are looking for good science communicators (as a start), i can name the "usual suspects". Tyson, Krauss, Sean Carrol for Physics. Ken Miller for Biology, i stumbeled across him via the Dover trial.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse