Name some Movie or documentaries[for atheist]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2017, 10:23 AM
RE: Name some Movie or documentaries[for atheist]
I know about "the usual suspects" of science communicators.I didn't know about Ken Miller so I will look him up later.Thanks for that new addition.
My interests--->I am interested in knowing how we think, how we can be deceived,illusions,biases we face,limits of our memory etc [Similar to the series-Brain Games]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2017, 10:39 AM
I always recommend a film called Higher Ground, directed & staring Vera Farmiga. Just found out the full film is on YouTube.

Carolyn Briggs wrote the screenplay based on her memoir, This Dark World: A Memoir of Salvation Found and Lost. Here is an interview with Briggs from Beyond Belief.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
09-05-2017, 10:44 AM
All of the David Attenborough nature videos I have seen have a strong evolutionary narrative.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
09-05-2017, 07:27 PM
https://www.amazon.com/God-Who-Wasnt-The...%27t+there

https://www.amazon.com/Religulous-Bill-M...9AN6GKJKCH

https://www.amazon.com/Letting-Go-God-Ju...+go+of+god Thumbsup
09-05-2017, 08:30 PM
(09-05-2017 10:23 AM)sea_tiger Wrote:  I know about "the usual suspects" of science communicators.I didn't know about Ken Miller so I will look him up later.Thanks for that new addition.
My interests--->I am interested in knowing how we think, how we can be deceived,illusions,biases we face,limits of our memory etc [Similar to the series-Brain Games]

Derren Brown. Look him up on YouTube or just Google him. He has loads of material out there dealing with deception of the mind, and is entertaining as hell.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
09-05-2017, 08:58 PM
Yes, Miller is excellent, an expert on evolutionary biology who also happens to be a Christian. For a layman's version, I highly recommend Tony Reed's series, "How Creationism Taught Me Real Science", on YouTube.

You might also be curious to learn about the history of the Bible, Karen Armstrong's "The History of God" is outstanding:

(I linked to the first videos in the series. You should be able to find the rest, but let me know if it doesn't have "next video" option, and/or you need search window help.)

If you can find it, I also would advise watching either the older or the newer versions of Cosmos... I'm a big Neil deGrasse-Tyson fan, but it's almost impossible to beat the original version by Carl Sagan.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
09-05-2017, 09:00 PM
The Ten Commandments with Charlton Heston.

The sheer absurdity of it makes one's skin crawl. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-05-2017, 09:49 PM
"A Flock of Dodos", regarding the Kansas school book wars.

And since nobody's mentioned "Dogma" yet...

(Get the boxed set with the deleted scenes.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
10-05-2017, 01:35 AM
(09-05-2017 09:49 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  And since nobody's mentioned "Dogma" yet...

(Get the boxed set with the deleted scenes.)

What scenes? Drooling

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse