Nancy Reagan

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2016, 09:05 AM
RE: Nancy Reagan
(08-03-2016 11:43 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 09:52 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  How rude of him. What would the leader of a superpower be doing that was more important anyway?!
Yeah, if only there was precedent for Obama doing things instead of governing the country... like excessively playing golf. Consider

Make no mistake, this is even more disrespectful than his refusal to attend the funeral of the late Supreme Court Justice Scalia.

Neither is disrespectful.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2016, 09:09 AM
(09-03-2016 07:36 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  How is it more disrespectful? You just admitted that there is no precedent for sitting presidents attending funerals of former first ladies.
Why are you lying, Robby? I didn't admit to anything like that. That being said, there are two reasons as to why I think that it's more disrespectful. The first one is that it happened after another controversial decision to skip the funeral of a popular conservative figure (meaning: I would have said the same thing if the order of deaths would have been reversed). You'd think that he would show some bipartisanship after the public outrage that this decision caused instead of polarizing the divide between liberals and conservatives even more. The second one is that he considered the funeral of the liberal son of Vice President Joe Biden important enough to not only attend it, but to give a eulogy at it as well. It makes it look like this is a partisan decision meant to spite the GOP (presumably for constantly blocking him in Congress during his presidency).

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
09-03-2016, 09:52 AM
I'm sorry this is a damned if you do and don't.

If Obama went the funeral, conservatives would be jumping up and down saying he's grandstanding, that he's politicizing a funeral. They would gleefully point out that he's being disrespectful....blah blah blah. Then they'd probably say he would have been better off just sending the current First Lady because at least she'd have more in common with the former first lady.

Also, I believe the only recent president who attended the funeral for a former First Lady was when Jackie Kennedy died in 1994. I believe Clinton did go to that, but I also believe they knew each other.

So there's that. Drinking Beverage

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

09-03-2016, 09:58 AM
(08-03-2016 11:43 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 09:52 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  How rude of him. What would the leader of a superpower be doing that was more important anyway?!
Yeah, if only there was precedent for Obama doing things instead of governing the country... like excessively playing golf. Consider

Make no mistake, this is even more disrespectful than his refusal to attend the funeral of the late Supreme Court Justice Scalia.

Eisenhower didn't attend Justice Jackson's funeral back in the 1950's and was golfing when he was told about his death.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
09-03-2016, 11:07 AM
(09-03-2016 09:09 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(09-03-2016 07:36 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  How is it more disrespectful? You just admitted that there is no precedent for sitting presidents attending funerals of former first ladies.
Why are you lying, Robby? I didn't admit to anything like that.

If you want to get pedantic, you're right: you didn't admit to it. That being said, are you saying that Lord Dark Helmet's summary of which presidents (none of them) attended former first ladies funerals is inaccurate?

(09-03-2016 08:17 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Not a big deal for Obama to skip the funeral of a former first lady. President Clinton did not attend Pat Nixon’s funeral in 1993. President Bush did not attend Lady Bird Johnson’s funeral in 2007. Obama also did not attend Betty Ford’s funeral in 2011. Jimmy Carter did not attend Mamie Eisenhower’s funeral in 1979. Franklin D. Roosevelt did not attend Lou Henry Hoover’s funeral in 1944. And Lastly, Ronald Reagan didn't attend the funeral of Harry Truman's wife.

If so, why do you feel this isn't accurate? If not, why are you complaining that I said you hold a stance that you hold?

(09-03-2016 09:09 AM)Vosur Wrote:  That being said, there are two reasons as to why I think that it's more disrespectful. The first one is that it happened after another controversial decision to skip the funeral of a popular conservative figure (meaning: I would have said the same thing if the order of deaths would have been reversed). You'd think that he would show some bipartisanship after the public outrage that this decision caused instead of polarizing the divide between liberals and conservatives even more. The second one is that he considered the funeral of the liberal son of Vice President Joe Biden important enough to not only attend it, but to give a eulogy at it as well. It makes it look like this is a partisan decision meant to spite the GOP (presumably for constantly blocking him in Congress during his presidency).

How many funerals of people you don't know do you attend? You're comparing the funeral of a woman he never met to the funeral of the son of the Vice President from his own ticket. I'll reassert what I said earlier about special pleading.

Showing "bipartisan support" would have done next to nothing, if anything. If he'd opted to go, you'd see the GOP busting out the same stats that presidents never do this, labeling it "some sort of stunt".
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
09-03-2016, 11:26 AM
Not attending funerals of people you don't know personally is disrespectful now?

People and their made up traditions are just ever weirder.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
09-03-2016, 11:33 AM
(09-03-2016 11:07 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(09-03-2016 09:09 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Why are you lying, Robby? I didn't admit to anything like that.

If you want to get pedantic, you're right: you didn't admit to it. That being said, are you saying that Lord Dark Helmet's summary of which presidents (none of them) attended former first ladies funerals is inaccurate?

(09-03-2016 08:17 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Not a big deal for Obama to skip the funeral of a former first lady. President Clinton did not attend Pat Nixon’s funeral in 1993. President Bush did not attend Lady Bird Johnson’s funeral in 2007. Obama also did not attend Betty Ford’s funeral in 2011. Jimmy Carter did not attend Mamie Eisenhower’s funeral in 1979. Franklin D. Roosevelt did not attend Lou Henry Hoover’s funeral in 1944. And Lastly, Ronald Reagan didn't attend the funeral of Harry Truman's wife.

If so, why do you feel this isn't accurate? If not, why are you complaining that I said you hold a stance that you hold?
It's not about pedantry, it's about telling the truth. You didn't say that I "hold this stance," you claimed that I admitted to it, which implies that I had previously denied or argued against it. I don't dispute those facts, I just don't think they're relevant to my argument.

(09-03-2016 11:07 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(09-03-2016 09:09 AM)Vosur Wrote:  That being said, there are two reasons as to why I think that it's more disrespectful. The first one is that it happened after another controversial decision to skip the funeral of a popular conservative figure (meaning: I would have said the same thing if the order of deaths would have been reversed). You'd think that he would show some bipartisanship after the public outrage that this decision caused instead of polarizing the divide between liberals and conservatives even more. The second one is that he considered the funeral of the liberal son of Vice President Joe Biden important enough to not only attend it, but to give a eulogy at it as well. It makes it look like this is a partisan decision meant to spite the GOP (presumably for constantly blocking him in Congress during his presidency).

How many funerals of people you don't know do you attend? You're comparing the funeral of a woman he never met to the funeral of the son of the Vice President from his own ticket. I'll reassert what I said earlier about special pleading.
Obama never met Nancy Reagan? That's another lie right there.

(09-03-2016 11:07 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Showing "bipartisan support" would have done next to nothing, if anything. If he'd opted to go, you'd see the GOP busting out the same stats that presidents never do this, labeling it "some sort of stunt".
Are you a psychic now? There is no evidence for the claim that the GOP would have blasted him if he had attended the funeral; it's baseless speculation.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
09-03-2016, 11:40 AM
(06-03-2016 08:37 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(06-03-2016 08:16 PM)pablo Wrote:  She was stunningly out of touch.

So true. She lived in some sort of romantic fog all the time. Her, Just Say No to drugs was so out of touch with reality it was laughable.

My brother Doug had a T-Shirt that said "Just don't say NO to Doug!"
[+] 2 users Like DerFish's post
09-03-2016, 11:41 AM
(09-03-2016 09:09 AM)Vosur Wrote:  he considered the funeral of the liberal son of Vice President Joe Biden important enough to not only attend it, but to give a eulogy at it as well. It makes it look like this is a partisan decision meant to spite the GOP (presumably for constantly blocking him in Congress during his presidency).

Joe Biden is a friend of Barak Obama's and that makes all the difference.
[+] 2 users Like Black Eagle's post
09-03-2016, 12:05 PM

So according to Vosur most of our contemporary Presidents are disrespectful. I find this rich coming from a German.

#sigh