Nancy Reagan

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2016, 12:08 PM
RE: Nancy Reagan
(09-03-2016 12:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-03-2016 08:17 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Not a big deal for Obama to skip the funeral of a former first lady. President Clinton did not attend Pat Nixon’s funeral in 1993. President Bush did not attend Lady Bird Johnson’s funeral in 2007. Obama also did not attend Betty Ford’s funeral in 2011. Jimmy Carter did not attend Mamie Eisenhower’s funeral in 1979. Franklin D. Roosevelt did not attend Lou Henry Hoover’s funeral in 1944. And Lastly, Ronald Reagan didn't attend the funeral of Harry Truman's wife.

So according to Vosur most of our contemporary Presidents are disrespectful. I find this rich coming from a German.

Well it usually is true in those relations.

[Image: PfKD9co.gif?noredirect]

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
09-03-2016, 12:09 PM
(09-03-2016 11:33 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Are you a psychic now? There is no evidence for the claim that the GOP would have blasted him if he had attended the funeral; it's baseless speculation.

You mean besides the fact that the GOP has done exactly that for going on 8 years now? Whatever he does or doesn't do the GOP has consistently blasted him even if they actually agree with the position. Is that what you mean by baseless?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-03-2016, 12:24 PM
Can't wait for the elections to be over, I hate all of this pointless drivel on here.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
09-03-2016, 12:36 PM
(09-03-2016 12:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So according to Vosur most of our contemporary Presidents are disrespectful. I find this rich coming from a German.
How about you guys stop putting words in my mouth and stick to what I actually say? Dodgy

(09-03-2016 12:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You mean besides the fact that the GOP has done exactly that for going on 8 years now? Whatever he does or doesn't do the GOP has consistently blasted him even if they actually agree with the position. Is that what you mean by baseless?
That's not true. The GOP praised Obama for his decision to kill Osama Bin Laden, to name only one example. Can you give an example of them blasting Obama for holding a position they agree with?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
09-03-2016, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2016 12:54 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-03-2016 12:36 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(09-03-2016 12:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So according to Vosur most of our contemporary Presidents are disrespectful. I find this rich coming from a German.
How about you guys stop putting words in my mouth and stick to what I actually say? Dodgy

Fair enough. Here are your words.

(08-03-2016 11:43 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Make no mistake, this is even more disrespectful than his refusal to attend the funeral of the late Supreme Court Justice Scalia.

Tell me which ones I put in your mouth. The only way this could possibly imply that you didn't think Obama was being disrespectful is that, as julep pointed out, you think that neither was disrespectful. Or are you implying that only Obama is disrespectful for not doing something which many contemporary sitting Presidents also elected not to do?

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-03-2016, 12:48 PM
(09-03-2016 12:36 PM)Vosur Wrote:  

(09-03-2016 12:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You mean besides the fact that the GOP has done exactly that for going on 8 years now? Whatever he does or doesn't do the GOP has consistently blasted him even if they actually agree with the position. Is that what you mean by baseless?
That's not true. The GOP praised Obama for his decision to kill Osama Bin Laden, to name only one example. Can you give an example of them blasting Obama for holding a position they agree with?

I thought that a lot of what went into Obama-care had been proposed in various forms by republicans (IIRC Mitt Romney was the most prominent) before they decided that they would block Obama's scheme as much as possible, rendering it ineffective, or at least not as effective as it could have been. I'm just quoting off the top of my head here so could be wrong.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
09-03-2016, 01:09 PM
I recall a clip of an interview with Reagan and Nancy in an outdoor setting. The reporter asked a question and Reagan looked at him blankly. Then the microphone picked up Nancy whispering an answer to him which he duly repeated for the camera.

The dementia was well advanced by that point.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
09-03-2016, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2016 01:22 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
(09-03-2016 11:33 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Are you a psychic now? There is no evidence for the claim that the GOP would have blasted him if he had attended the funeral; it's baseless speculation.

Do you know just how crazy and hardliner the GOP is? There's no reason whatsoever to give anyone in the GOP the benefit of the doubt.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
09-03-2016, 01:25 PM
(09-03-2016 01:18 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  

Do you know just how crazy and hardliner the GOP is? There's no reason whatsoever to give anyone in the GOP the benefit of the doubt.

Oddly, in today's news:

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/03/biden-sa...-campaign/

Quote:Biden says Ronald Reagan would have no chance in today’s ‘petty and venal’ 2016 campaign

Funny how timing is everything.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
09-03-2016, 01:44 PM
(09-03-2016 12:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Tell me which ones I put in your mouth. The only way this could possibly imply that you didn't think Obama was being disrespectful is that, as julep pointed out, you think that neither was disrespectful. Or are you implying that only Obama is disrespectful for not doing something which many contemporary sitting Presidents also elected not to do?

(09-03-2016 11:33 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(09-03-2016 11:07 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  That being said, are you saying that Lord Dark Helmet's summary of which presidents (none of them) attended former first ladies funerals is inaccurate?
I don't dispute those facts, I just don't think they're relevant to my argument.

The argument in question:

(09-03-2016 09:09 AM)Vosur Wrote:  That being said, there are two reasons as to why I think that it's more disrespectful. The first one is that it happened after another controversial decision to skip the funeral of a popular conservative figure (meaning: I would have said the same thing if the order of deaths would have been reversed). You'd think that he would show some bipartisanship after the public outrage that this decision caused instead of polarizing the divide between liberals and conservatives even more. The second one is that he considered the funeral of the liberal son of Vice President Joe Biden important enough to not only attend it, but to give a eulogy at it as well. It makes it look like this is a partisan decision meant to spite the GOP (presumably for constantly blocking him in Congress during his presidency).

See that? Not a single word about any other president being disrespectful. You pulled that out of your butt, with all due respect. Tongue

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]