Nanny state on booze

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2016, 05:27 PM
Nanny state on booze
Hi,

The chief medical officer of the UK Tory government has cut recommended alcohol limits for men. This was 21 units per week and was reduced (earlier this year) to 14 units per week. Why? Other European countries are far more liberal, with recommendations in most countries ranging from 21 units to 31 units per week. Why do we get the nanny state?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38466507

A sinister development is the medical officer's recent remarks on the similarity between alcohol and smoking. She says, “This plan is a great start. This is a journey. Look at tobacco.” What journey is she talking about? Prohibition?

I don't know how other people feel, but I'm sick of the nanny state telling me what I can and cannot do with my own money.

D.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
30-12-2016, 05:36 PM
RE: Nanny state on booze
I'm not clear on the problem. She can only say what she recommends, right? Or is there some sort of system that monitors and limits your intake? I'm not seeing that; maybe I missed it.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
30-12-2016, 05:49 PM
I think I'm probably not understanding something here, so please don't mind if I ask a couple of questions.

Does that mean that you can only buy 14 units per week? Or is it something where you're provided that much and you have to pay extra if you drink more?

14 units is two drinks per day, am I interpreting that right? (to me that seems a reasonable amount for a week, especially if you don't drink every day)

I can see where you'd feel it was ominous because of the comparison of alcohol with tobacco. These days, most people seem to agree tobacco is harmful in any amount and worth limiting to the point of eventual extinction. There's not anywhere near such a consensus on alcohol.
30-12-2016, 05:59 PM
(30-12-2016 05:27 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,

The chief medical officer of the UK Tory government has cut recommended alcohol limits for men. This was 21 units per week and was reduced (earlier this year) to 14 units per week. Why? Other European countries are far more liberal, with recommendations in most countries ranging from 21 units to 31 units per week. Why do we get the nanny state?

A sinister development is the medical officer's recent remarks on the similarity between alcohol and smoking. She says, “This plan is a great start. This is a journey. Look at tobacco.” What journey is she talking about? Prohibition?

I don't know how other people feel, but I'm sick of the nanny state telling me what I can and cannot do with my own money.

D.

Are you using your own money to clean up and care for the inevitable results of using ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
30-12-2016, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2016 06:39 PM by Dworkin.)
(30-12-2016 05:49 PM)julep Wrote:  I can see where you'd feel it was ominous because of the comparison of alcohol with tobacco. These days, most people seem to agree tobacco is harmful in any amount and worth limiting to the point of eventual extinction. There's not anywhere near such a consensus on alcohol.

Hi julep,

Yes, this was a concern that I had; some philosophers call it the 'slippery slope'. As we know, there was a period of prohibition in the land of the free, which lasted for some time. That was a consensus which was thankfully defeated.

The other thing that puzzled me is the comparison with other European countries. There are some people here in the UK that think Europe is the source of onerous rules and regulations foisted on the Brits. In this case, we seem to be doing it to ourselves, while over the channel they enjoy a few extra glasses of wine. Smile

D.
30-12-2016, 09:33 PM
I'm so confused as to what the fuck you're talking about.
Alcohol limit when driving?
31-12-2016, 12:09 AM
Alcohol consomation can be particularly harmful when taken in too large quantity. It's logical that if the State, whose in charge of the healthcare system, would make recomandation on alcohol consomation habits based on the best available science at the moment. If doctors thinks, with solid proofs to back it up, that consomation over a certain level becomes a severe risk for health, than it's the duty of the governement to distribute this information and encourage people to follow said guide-lines. It doesn't necessarly follow that prohibition would become necessary unless people turned out to be so irresponsible in their consomation habits that alcohol abuse would become a severe healthcare issue. Nobody likes prohibition and repressive regulation, but if you are too irresponsible or stupid to take care of yourself, someone else will have to do it for you (or let you suffer).

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
31-12-2016, 12:13 AM
(31-12-2016 12:09 AM)epronovost Wrote:  Alcohol consomation can be particularly harmful when taken in too large quantity. It's logical that if the State, whose in charge of the healthcare system, would make recomandation on alcohol consomation habits based on the best available science at the moment. If doctors thinks, with solid proofs to back it up, that consomation over a certain level becomes a severe risk for health, than it's the duty of the governement to distribute this information and encourage people to follow said guide-lines. It doesn't necessarly follow that prohibition would become necessary unless people turned out to be so irresponsible in their consomation habits that alcohol abuse would become a severe healthcare issue. Nobody likes prohibition and repressive regulation, but if you are too irresponsible or stupid to take care of yourself, someone else will have to do it for you (or let you suffer).

Nah. People should be able to drink however much they want. The government can give recommendation, sure, that's fine, but surely you're not saying it'd be alright for the government to step it up from recommendation to enforcement of policy.
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post
31-12-2016, 12:22 AM
(30-12-2016 05:27 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,

D.

What the hell is a 'unit'? A fluid once? A kilogram? Equivalent weigh to a golden apple? What is it?

Plus, are these 'recommendations' in any way enforceable? Because if it's not, I fail to see what the problem is. I'm pretty sure 4~6 glasses of water a day is recommended, but no cops are knocking down my door and waterboarding me if I only drink 2. Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
31-12-2016, 01:24 AM
If this is only recommendation then I see no big problem. But gov's from time to time have most curious visions of how citizens should live their own lives.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post