Nanny state on booze

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2016, 11:49 AM
RE: Nanny state on booze
(31-12-2016 11:40 AM)epronovost Wrote:  
(31-12-2016 11:31 AM)adey67 Wrote:  No worries mate and I think you have also just made a very good point, the only problem I see with it is that the wretched stuff is just so damned easy to make yourself that's why prohibition failed.

You can also Blame Canada!, we did made a lot of cash selling an absurd quantity of our, usualy stronger, booze South, sometimes with the complicity of our police force. Prohibition usualy doesn't work, especially with addictive products that have a status of cultural icons like beer, whiskey or wine. Education, healthcare services and some restrictions remains our best bet to limit the dangers associated to alcohol abuse.
Lol you just reminded me of South Park the movie with blame CanadaBig Grin In England we have a huge booze problem public health warnings and education seem not to be working so well so the government just keeps upping the taxes on alcohol and so far it hasn't worked, I think the only thing that they haven't tried is huge great warnings on bottles like they have on cigarette packets. Its a really difficult problem to solve that's for sure.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2016, 11:50 AM
(31-12-2016 11:26 AM)epronovost Wrote:  I wanted to express the idea that if alcoholism (or dangerous binge drinking habits who are not necessarly linked to alcoholism) became a very widespread problem, which I don't think it is at the moment, we would have to reconsider the place of alcohol in our society and increase restrictions on its commerce and consomation.

12,000,000 alcoholics in the US. 7,000,000 underage binge drinkers. Commerce and production already heavily regulated in the US. (Until recently I couldn't even buy wine online being from the Peoples Republic of Maryland and all.) Only thing more I can think to do is increased education. ... well that and weed.

#sigh
31-12-2016, 11:55 AM
(31-12-2016 11:49 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Lol you just reminded me of South Park the movie with blame CanadaBig Grin In England we have a huge booze problem public health warnings and education seem not to be working so well so the government just keeps upping the taxes on alcohol and so far it hasn't worked, I think the only thing that they haven't tried is huge great warnings on bottles like they have on cigarette packets. Its a really difficult problem to solve that's for sure.

That might work. Thumbsup

[Image: alcoholic-cirrhosis-300x201_zpsk841zd35.jpg]

#sigh
31-12-2016, 12:19 PM
May I suggest treatment for addictions in general.

People become addicted to all sorts of shit, some of which can also kill them. And not just substances, people become addicted to behaviors and activities, too. The key is not forbidding the addictive item, but to learn how to fix addiction in general. That would actually fix something.

The great majority of alcohol consumers drink responsibly and enjoy all the flavors. There is a whole world of wonderful flavors to savor out there.

I value my freedom. I strongly resent anyone messing with anything I do as long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else.

People never learn. Weeping

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
31-12-2016, 12:40 PM
(31-12-2016 07:20 AM)Fireball Wrote:  "Units" are defined in the link. If it's a recommendation, I can appreciate and understand that.

Fireball,

The interesting part of the link is where the chief medical officer makes a comparison between her 'recommendation' on alcohol and enforced laws on smoking. I think this may be why her words have drawn the attention of the media.

So there are two questions raised in the OP.

1. Why is the UK 'recommendation' so different from most of the other European countries, indeed one of the tightest in the world for male drinkers?

2. Why does the chief medical officer conflate recommendation with law?

D.
31-12-2016, 12:51 PM
(31-12-2016 01:24 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  If this is only recommendation then I see no big problem. But gov's from time to time have most curious visions of how citizens should live their own lives.

Szuchow,

Indeed. All laws begin with a recommendation.

D.
31-12-2016, 01:08 PM
Also a) because alcohol misuse is a massive problem here
. b) laws as in relation to labelling and packaging restrictions on cigarettes
02-01-2017, 02:50 AM
Hi all,

Here is something to lighten the conversation. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELllgvfX23o

D.
02-01-2017, 07:01 PM
Here in Ireland our asshole politicians are trying to introduce a minimum price on alcohol. It is an attempt to stop supermarkets from doing special offers on beer. I can't see a problem drinker suddenly giving up the booze because it's too expensive. It's just another stealth tax. Same with the sugar tax they want to introduce. I fucking hate the bastards.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 3 users Like Marozz's post
02-01-2017, 11:19 PM
(02-01-2017 07:01 PM)Marozz Wrote:  Here in Ireland our asshole politicians are trying to introduce a minimum price on alcohol. It is an attempt to stop supermarkets from doing special offers on beer. I can't see a problem drinker suddenly giving up the booze because it's too expensive. It's just another stealth tax. Same with the sugar tax they want to introduce. I fucking hate the bastards.

What are they intending to do with the extra revenue generated by this new tax?

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.