Nanny state on booze

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2017, 03:53 AM
RE: Nanny state on booze
(02-01-2017 11:19 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 07:01 PM)Marozz Wrote:  Here in Ireland our asshole politicians are trying to introduce a minimum price on alcohol. It is an attempt to stop supermarkets from doing special offers on beer. I can't see a problem drinker suddenly giving up the booze because it's too expensive. It's just another stealth tax. Same with the sugar tax they want to introduce. I fucking hate the bastards.

What are they intending to do with the extra revenue generated by this new tax?

It'll probably be swallowed up by the wretched EU, Marroz is right price never deterred a problem drinker,and don't get me started on the tax on sugary drinks thankfully in the UK it wont apply to sugar and sweets themselves.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
03-01-2017, 07:46 AM
(02-01-2017 11:19 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 07:01 PM)Marozz Wrote:  Here in Ireland our asshole politicians are trying to introduce a minimum price on alcohol. It is an attempt to stop supermarkets from doing special offers on beer. I can't see a problem drinker suddenly giving up the booze because it's too expensive. It's just another stealth tax. Same with the sugar tax they want to introduce. I fucking hate the bastards.

What are they intending to do with the extra revenue generated by this new tax?

Buy themselves a few drinks in their private members club. Tongue
You hear the usual crap about educating people etc....but it will go into that bottomless pit that funds our health service. Ireland already has the highest alcohol prices in the EU, almost double the average.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
03-01-2017, 07:49 AM
(03-01-2017 03:53 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 11:19 PM)epronovost Wrote:  What are they intending to do with the extra revenue generated by this new tax?

It'll probably be swallowed up by the wretched EU, Marroz is right price never deterred a problem drinker,and don't get me started on the tax on sugary drinks thankfully in the UK it wont apply to sugar and sweets themselves.

In this case the EU might come to the rescue. There is talk that a minimum alcohol price may go against EU competition laws. If so, I wouldn't mind a little interference from Brussels.

03-01-2017, 10:10 AM
(03-01-2017 07:46 AM)Marozz Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 11:19 PM)epronovost Wrote:  What are they intending to do with the extra revenue generated by this new tax?

Buy themselves a few drinks in their private members club. Tongue
You hear the usual crap about educating people etc....but it will go into that bottomless pit that funds our health service. Ireland already has the highest alcohol prices in the EU, almost double the average.

I was asking because a knew that Ireland was severely touched by the 2007-2008 banking crisis and were in serious financial problem. When an economy tank so hard, it's inevitable that budget compression, tax hikes and incresed deficit will follow and are, unfortunately, pretty much necessary.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
03-01-2017, 06:16 PM
(03-01-2017 10:10 AM)epronovost Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 07:46 AM)Marozz Wrote:  Buy themselves a few drinks in their private members club. Tongue

I was asking because a knew that Ireland was severely touched by the 2007-2008 banking crisis and were in serious financial problem. When an economy tank so hard, it's inevitable that budget compression, tax hikes and incresed deficit will follow and are, unfortunately, pretty much necessary.

We've been through hard times alright. The government took pretty draconian measures. We had higher taxes, pay freezes ...etc. We are now through the worst of it and thing have improved greatly. Ireland's credit rating is now positive. No, these new "stealth" taxes will be used to prop up an ailing health service.

04-01-2017, 06:29 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2017 06:37 AM by Dworkin.)
Folks,

My final thought on the subject is to apply Aristotle's middle way in my own habits.

I think the Spanish recommendation of 31 units is a little ambitious, the new 14 units in the UK is just 'finger wagging' daft and the French 21 units is sensible.

21 units equates to 3/4 of a bottle of 40% scotch per week, and that is fine to comfort my digestive health and for large helpings of boeuf bourguignon to slip down easily. Perhaps a little Evian water on the side and a Gauloises to finish Smile

D.
[+] 2 users Like Dworkin's post