Narcotics Anonymous secular alternatives, anyone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2013, 08:38 AM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2013 08:52 AM by Phyreburnz.)
Narcotics Anonymous secular alternatives, anyone?
Hi, there. This is my first post, and I apologize that it will be a long one. I was hoping that somebody could help me find some secular alternatives to NA.

My brother just relapsed and went to rehab two days ago. Last night, my mum and I decided to go to a NAR-ANON meeting. I was skeptical because it was in the basement of a church, but I went anyway. We went early and started talking to a lady who gave us some pamphlets. On the table was something like how they have no specifically religious affiliations and are even there for those that have none.

The meeting started with a serenity prayer, which I sort of ignored... and then they passed a piece of paper around for everybody to read one of the twelve steps which are as follows:

"1. We admitted we were powerless over the addict — that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible except when to do so would injure them or others.
10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to others and to practice these principles in all our affairs."

This kind of outraged me. I don't need to submit to anybody or put my faith in anyone other than myself. But that's not why it outraged me. I understand that it is a completely voluntary program and that it does help people that willingly go. What outraged me is that NA is pretty much the same religious crap and that I'm pretty sure that he had to go, as he was in jail before this and that's when his drug problems came to light, so I think it was maybe part of his sentence! I know that my brother is an atheist, too, and that I need to talk to him when he gets out of rehab about still being an atheist and staying clean.

I live in the Pittsburgh area of Pennsylvania and if ANYBODY has ANYTHING that might help my brother, or anybody else in my family that is an atheist (like a secular NAR-ANON alternative), please let me know! I know that there are online support groups like Rational Recovery, but I'd really like to know if there are any meetings, too.

Thank you so much for any help and sorry again that my post is so long.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Phyreburnz's post
18-07-2013, 11:08 AM
RE: Narcotics Anonymous secular alternatives, anyone?
Here's a start, I don't know how much it will help.

http://www.addictionrecoveryguide.org/re...nd_secular

I have 2 friends in Pittsburgh that might know, I have messages out to them. If they come back with any useful info I will post here.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
18-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Yes, the 12 steps suck because, as I understand it, they just replace the substance addiction with a religion addiction. And it's true that this might be safer physically, but it still seems dangerous and wrong to me. That, and I don't agree with telling people who are addicted to drugs that they are weak and powerless and need to surrender, when in fact, that is a time when they need to be strong. =\
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
19-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Religious AA meeting rarely help the individual the way they should help. As amyb said, they only brainwash you and replace one addiction with another one. I've even had the opportunity to see their work in action and it is not good. People that were never believers (but heroin addicts...) were now preaching around how pot is bad, cigarettes are bad, beer is bad, Jesus is the savior, we should all go the church; then 2 month later - dead from overdose. Why? Because it was unnatural for him, he couldn't maintain that psychosis for a long time and when he cracked, he cracked.

To get over an addiction one must realize and decide on his own, with his own free will, if someone forces him, sooner or later he will return. You see, one can hold on for a long time, and just wait until everybody leaves him alone and then, victoriously, take another shot. It is VITAL that an addict decides on his own that he wants and needs to stop, everything else is then much, much easier.

Hope you find the help you need and that everything will work out.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
21-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Prayer helps. Not the prayer we are all familiar with which is far removed from the original meaning. Prayer is looking inward, to take a few moments to search out the peace that is within. It has nothing to do with a god. It is more to do with being self-centered- searching within for the answer. Here again, people equate self centered with being selfish which it's not.
21-07-2013, 05:21 PM
(21-07-2013 04:15 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  Prayer helps. Not the prayer we are all familiar with which is far removed from the original meaning. Prayer is looking inward, to take a few moments to search out the peace that is within. It has nothing to do with a god. It is more to do with being self-centered- searching within for the answer. Here again, people equate self centered with being selfish which it's not.

That's called meditation.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post