Nashville Shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2015, 11:54 PM
RE: Nashville Shooting
(05-08-2015 11:40 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(05-08-2015 03:19 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  The great news is no one died, but the dipshit attacker. THIS is the reason I have to carry concealed when I go to the movies with my wife, just in case some fucking nutcase decides today is the day he wants to die, and he is going to take as many with him as possible, well fucker, I am happy to oblige you.

Shit just pisses me off so bad. Your life sucks, then end it, leave us alone.

Ya know, I go to movies quite often and the thought of someone rushing in to shoot me or my loved ones pretty much never occurs... What kinda crazy society do you guys have that just going to the frikken movies is a life-or-death decision? Jeez...

Going to movies is about as much as a life or death decision as going outside. Obviously we don't expect anything to happen when we go to the movies, I think his point was he just likes to be prepared in case there's an off chance something does happen while he is in a movie theater, though that chance is low. Being killed in an active shooter situation is usually compared to that of being struck lightning.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
06-08-2015, 12:07 AM
(05-08-2015 11:40 PM)morondog Wrote:  Ya know, I go to movies quite often and the thought of someone rushing in to shoot me or my loved ones pretty much never occurs... What kinda crazy society do you guys have that just going to the frikken movies is a life-or-death decision? Jeez...

It's based on an irrational fear.
(05-08-2015 03:37 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  But I know one thing, I won't be the unarmed guy cowering behind my seat waiting for my turn to be killed.
Coupled with great marketing and sales, convincing people that it is all American and patriotic and a show of American rights to have a gun. Almost an American duty. They are the unsung heroes.

Never mind the fact that if handguns were highly restricted then it would be much more difficult for someone to get one and do these massacres in the first place.

Now I know this charactarisation is unfair on 'goodwithoutgod' from what he has said, he doesn't appear to be a gun fanatic, and is dealing with life in good ole US of A. In his hands perhaps public is safe-ish. But with other general public brandishing guns and trying to be heroes, no doubt there would be many people caught in the cross fire.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
06-08-2015, 05:34 AM
(05-08-2015 07:34 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I still don't get why america won't let you have a blade going past 3 inches, but you can carry semi automatic weapons.

That may be true in New Jersey, but it is not generally true in America.

There is no limit on blade length in most of the U.S.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2015, 05:44 AM
(06-08-2015 12:07 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(05-08-2015 11:40 PM)morondog Wrote:  Ya know, I go to movies quite often and the thought of someone rushing in to shoot me or my loved ones pretty much never occurs... What kinda crazy society do you guys have that just going to the frikken movies is a life-or-death decision? Jeez...

It's based on an irrational fear.
(05-08-2015 03:37 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  But I know one thing, I won't be the unarmed guy cowering behind my seat waiting for my turn to be killed.
Coupled with great marketing and sales, convincing people that it is all American and patriotic and a show of American rights to have a gun. Almost an American duty. They are the unsung heroes.

Never mind the fact that if handguns were highly restricted then it would be much more difficult for someone to get one and do these massacres in the first place.

Now I know this charactarisation is unfair on 'goodwithoutgod' from what he has said, he doesn't appear to be a gun fanatic, and is dealing with life in good ole US of A. In his hands perhaps public is safe-ish. But with other general public brandishing guns and trying to be heroes, no doubt there would be many people caught in the cross fire.

Your comment reminds me of something from the news earlier this year. A Texas gun rights group staged a recreation of the Charlie Hebdo attack, but with an armed citizen in the mix. The people in the recreation knew there was going to be an attack--they just didn't know exactly when the attack would be. The simulation was run 9x. Results, according to The Guardian: "A pro-gun rights group in Texas re-enacted the Charlie Hebdo attacks with paintball rounds, in an attempt to see whether an “armed civilian” could have stopped the two gunmen who attacked the Paris office of the satirical magazine, killing 12. The civilian “died” in almost every scenario except immediate flight from the scene." Also, the overall death count remained about the same.

The gun group found faults with the study, but the results were in line with simulations of other gun attack events. From what I recall, these were people trained and comfortable with guns, although not with military or law enforcement experience.

I worry about people taking guns everywhere because, while there are indeed instances where a "good guy with a gun" has saved the day, there are many, many more (that we read about practically daily here) where citizens' guns kill their loved ones, by accident, or are close at hand when a citizen with an anger problem gets annoyed by the guy on the next bar stool. Or when someone is hoping to look like a hero and manufactures/escalates a situation.

I support much stricter gun control, but not banning guns outright. In a movie theater, I would personally feel much less safe, not more safe, if I knew that there were, say, five people in the theater with guns, ready just in case something happened. However, I'm going to keep going about my daily business assuming that I'm not going to encounter a gun.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
06-08-2015, 06:04 AM
(05-08-2015 11:19 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(05-08-2015 07:57 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I feel like if people own guns they should be like pistols and hunting rifles.

If I ever own a gun it'll probably be a handgun or a hunting rifle because I have wanted to try hunting.
When you're ready - let me know... You're only a couple hours from here..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
06-08-2015, 06:07 AM
(05-08-2015 11:40 PM)morondog Wrote:  What kinda crazy society do you guys have that just going to the frikken movies is a life-or-death decision? Jeez...

We're in a society that shows off it's warts................

The media covers this stuff because it's the thing of movies.....

Far more people die of lightning strikes every year - but few people are afraid to venture outside in the rain --- though if you were to take statistics seriously, you'd be far more afraid of lightning than people with guns.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
06-08-2015, 06:28 AM
(06-08-2015 06:07 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Far more people die of lightning strikes every year - but few people are afraid to venture outside in the rain --- though if you were to take statistics seriously, you'd be far more afraid of lightning than people with guns.

That's why I carry my pocket lightning rod everywhere with me. If some cloud looks at me the wrong way... I'mma earth that motherfucker.

Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 9 users Like morondog's post
06-08-2015, 06:34 AM
(06-08-2015 06:28 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 06:07 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Far more people die of lightning strikes every year - but few people are afraid to venture outside in the rain --- though if you were to take statistics seriously, you'd be far more afraid of lightning than people with guns.

That's why I carry my pocket lightning rod everywhere with me. If some cloud looks at me the wrong way... I'mma earth that motherfucker.

Tongue
Calm down Thor -- you know mortals get hurt when you get excited.............

[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
06-08-2015, 07:07 AM
(06-08-2015 06:07 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(05-08-2015 11:40 PM)morondog Wrote:  What kinda crazy society do you guys have that just going to the frikken movies is a life-or-death decision? Jeez...

We're in a society that shows off it's warts................

The media covers this stuff because it's the thing of movies.....

Far more people die of lightning strikes every year - but few people are afraid to venture outside in the rain --- though if you were to take statistics seriously, you'd be far more afraid of lightning than people with guns.

Really? So at least 15.000 people die from lighting strikes in US every year? I kinda doubt that.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
06-08-2015, 07:34 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2015 08:01 AM by yakherder.)
Out of curiosity I glanced at lightning statistics and couldn't help but notice that men are about four times as likely to die from it as women. Who would have guessed lightning is sexist?

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post