Nashville Shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2015, 09:38 AM
RE: Nashville Shooting
(06-08-2015 09:32 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 09:30 AM)morondog Wrote:  Where is the excessive force? The guy did attack people and looked like a potential killer.

I'm not saying there was excessive force. I'm saying the usual suspects who do go on about "excessive force" are oddly silent this time -- in spite of the fact the guy didn't have a gun.....

Personally -- I believe the cops did good..... They saved the taxpayer from paying for a trial -- for a nutjob who obviously WANTED to die....

According to the article he was probably not all there mentally, so I don't know that he did want to die, but in a situation where he's threatening people and apparently armed I think there's no argument to be made for not shooting to kill. On the other hand that kid - IIRC the cop shot him 'cos he felt threatened or some shit, but if it's the same case I'm remembering then it was nowhere near as clear cut as this one.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2015, 09:45 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2015 09:50 AM by onlinebiker.)
(06-08-2015 09:38 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 09:32 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'm not saying there was excessive force. I'm saying the usual suspects who do go on about "excessive force" are oddly silent this time -- in spite of the fact the guy didn't have a gun.....

Personally -- I believe the cops did good..... They saved the taxpayer from paying for a trial -- for a nutjob who obviously WANTED to die....

According to the article he was probably not all there mentally, so I don't know that he did want to die, but in a situation where he's threatening people and apparently armed I think there's no argument to be made for not shooting to kill. On the other hand that kid - IIRC the cop shot him 'cos he felt threatened or some shit, but if it's the same case I'm remembering then it was nowhere near as clear cut as this one.

In that the guy was only really armed with a hatchet -- it could be argued that the cops could have tazed the guy...... Personally, I only wish they had - for the sake of the officers - who have to live with the moron's death. The whackadoodle is dead, and beyond caring.

All cases are different -- but as near as I can see - these two have one commonality -- somebody waving around a toy gun, and not putting it down when the cops show up.........

I don't fault the cops for that. I fault the whackadoodle in this case -- and the kid's parents -- for letting him run around the neighborhood with a realistic looking bb gun....

edit to add ---

Also -- civilians AND police do NOT "shoot to kill".

They shoot to STOP --- that is, you shoot to stop an aggressor - and quit shooting as soon as the aggressor quits being a threat.... If you shoot again, past that point - you're using excessive force.

You shoot for "center mass" of the available target (whatever you can see). It just happens that that is frequently fatal to the aggressor, and their problem, not yours....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
06-08-2015, 10:00 AM
(05-08-2015 11:19 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(05-08-2015 07:57 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I feel like if people own guns they should be like pistols and hunting rifles.

If I ever own a gun it'll probably be a handgun or a hunting rifle because I have wanted to try hunting.

Or you can hunt with a hand gun.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
06-08-2015, 10:02 AM
(06-08-2015 10:00 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(05-08-2015 11:19 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  If I ever own a gun it'll probably be a handgun or a hunting rifle because I have wanted to try hunting.

Confused Hunt people?

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
06-08-2015, 10:05 AM
(06-08-2015 10:02 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 10:00 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Or you can hunt with a hand gun.

Confused Hunt people?

Huh??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
06-08-2015, 10:05 AM
(06-08-2015 10:02 AM)Nurse Wrote:  

Confused Hunt people?

Evil_monster

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
06-08-2015, 10:06 AM
(06-08-2015 10:00 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(05-08-2015 11:19 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  If I ever own a gun it'll probably be a handgun or a hunting rifle because I have wanted to try hunting.

You can -- but it's tough... I've gotten one buck with my Ruger .480. 25 yards out, from 25 feet up.... wasn't easy.... but it did drop him in his tracks....

06-08-2015, 10:17 AM
(06-08-2015 09:15 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 07:07 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Really? So at least 15.000 people die from lighting strikes in US every year? I kinda doubt that.
I'm referring to mass shootings...

I don't count suicides and legally justified shootings (civilian and police)....

That game is played by the Brady/Feinstein camp.....

That number didn't account for suicides and justified shootings. According to FBI there was 14,000+ murders in US in 2013 (non fatal shootings X times more than that) , and it really doesn't matter if it was a mass murder or a single murder. Still remains that you are far more likely to be murdered/shot in US then to be hit by a lighting.

And btw, I find that argument to be very flawed anyway. It's like saying why would you care about driving safely when more people die from heart attacks or cancer then in car accidents.

You already have more guns per capita in the whole world, having even more guns hardly seems like a good solution.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
06-08-2015, 10:22 AM
(06-08-2015 10:06 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  

You can -- but it's tough... I've gotten one buck with my Ruger .480. 25 yards out, from 25 feet up.... wasn't easy.... but it did drop him in his tracks....

Not as hard as killing one with a throwing knife.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
06-08-2015, 10:25 AM
(06-08-2015 10:17 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 09:15 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'm referring to mass shootings...

I don't count suicides and legally justified shootings (civilian and police)....

That game is played by the Brady/Feinstein camp.....

That number didn't account for suicides and justified shootings. According to FBI there was 14,000+ murders in US in 2013 (non fatal shootings X times more than that) , and it really doesn't matter if it was a mass murder or a single murder. Still remains that you are far more likely to be murdered/shot in US then to be hit by a lighting.

And btw, I find that argument to be very flawed anyway. It's like saying why would you care about driving safely when more people die from heart attacks or cancer then in car accidents.

You already have more guns per capita in the whole world, having even more guns hardly seems like a good solution.

I'm not trying to argue any point...

The FACT - is that mass shootings (and incidentally, this one in Nashville really doesn't count -- no gun on the perp) are far less likely to get you killed than being hit by lightning.....

BUT -- unless 30 people get killed by lightning at the same time - the media won't even talk about that... They make it look like mass shootings are your most likely way to die -- and instill fear in the populace where none is warranted.

You're far more likely to be killed by a knife than by a mass shooter. You're more likely to get killed by lightning than by a mass shooter.You're more likely to be killed by a shark than by a mass shooter. (Lately) ....

But what's everyone all worked up about??

Mass shooters......