National Atheist Party

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2012, 10:36 AM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2012 10:40 AM by haarvik.)
National Atheist Party
So I listened to the podcast on this party, and decided to check them out. I went to their site and read through their platform. After reading most of it, it appears to be a disguised Democratic party. As an Atheist I take offense to a group representing my belief system with their rhetoric that is completely against our constitution.

http://www.theaverageatheist.com

Challenge Everything!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes haarvik's post
14-09-2012, 10:51 AM
RE: National Atheist Party
(14-09-2012 10:36 AM)haarvik Wrote:  As an Atheist I take offense to a group representing my belief system with their rhetoric that is completely against our constitution.
Atheism is no belief system.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
14-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Yup, you're right, and a bad choice for a word. However, the point still remains. I take offense to someone using Atheist to seem like they represent a segment of the population with their platform which almost mirrors the Democratic parties.

http://www.theaverageatheist.com

Challenge Everything!
14-09-2012, 10:56 AM
(14-09-2012 10:53 AM)haarvik Wrote:  Yup, you're right, and a bad choice for a word. However, the point still remains. I take offense to someone using Atheist to seem like they represent a segment of the population with their platform which almost mirrors the Democratic parties.

I'd like to point out that the Democratic party doesn't require God. You can believe in social democracy without having to worship a skydaddy.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
14-09-2012, 11:01 AM
(14-09-2012 10:53 AM)haarvik Wrote:  Yup, you're right, and a bad choice for a word. However, the point still remains. I take offense to someone using Atheist to seem like they represent a segment of the population with their platform which almost mirrors the Democratic parties.
That's up to you. I don't see a reason for being offended, considering that there is nothing all Atheists have in common, other than a lack of belief in god(s), that could be represented in politics.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
14-09-2012, 11:28 AM
(14-09-2012 10:36 AM)haarvik Wrote:  So I listened to the podcast on this party, and decided to check them out. I went to their site and read through their platform. After reading most of it, it appears to be a disguised Democratic party. As an Atheist I take offense to a group representing my belief system with their rhetoric that is completely against our constitution.

The offensive part is that it exists at all, regardless of its platform. Atheism is not a political position.

Fuck them, and the horse they rode in on.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
15-09-2012, 02:38 AM
I agree with your dislike of their party. I was opposed to their platform and concept from the time I heard that podcast on; there has been multiple threads across various sections on this board discussing it as well.

This forum shows an example of how they're not spot on in asserting that most atheists are liberal. They do openly admit the name is chosen for shock-impact value though.. which I think is going to be worthless overall in the grand scheme of their group. Other groups I have supported that aren't trying to be a political party.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
17-09-2012, 02:29 PM
(14-09-2012 10:51 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(14-09-2012 10:36 AM)haarvik Wrote:  As an Atheist I take offense to a group representing my belief system with their rhetoric that is completely against our constitution.
Atheism is no belief system.
I will argue that Atheism is the political ideology that seeks to justify a humanist society.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
17-09-2012, 02:58 PM
(17-09-2012 02:29 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(14-09-2012 10:51 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Atheism is no belief system.
I will argue that Atheism is the political ideology that seeks to justify a humanist society.

One can be an atheist and be a humanist. Just like you can be a Christian Secularist. Or a Christian Humanist. Humanism is a political position. Atheism is a theological position. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
17-09-2012, 03:09 PM
(17-09-2012 02:29 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(14-09-2012 10:51 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Atheism is no belief system.

How is a lack of belief in gods a political position?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post