National Atheist Party News.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2012, 04:50 PM
RE: National Atheist Party News.
(15-03-2012 04:48 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(15-03-2012 04:12 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  I support NAP. I like the idea that atheists have a goto for issues in the corrupted system that we have here. Sitting around a camp fire and singing or tree hugging will get nothing done in the US or the world for that matter.

I could go for a NAP.

I see difficulty in actually taking a nap when I have to study soon Tongue

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2012, 12:34 PM
I have an issue with the name. It's pure identity politics. I would no more join it than I would the National Brown-hair Party. Sure it may say blondes are welcome, but it doesn't strike me as very sincere.

Judging from their platform, a name like the Secular Progressive Party would be both more accurate and more inviting to deists, Quakers, and other fellow travelers.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Dean J. Smith's post
06-04-2012, 12:41 PM
(06-04-2012 12:34 PM)Dean J. Smith Wrote:  I have an issue with the name. It's pure identity politics. I would no more join it than I would the National Brown-hair Party. Sure it may say blondes are welcome, but it doesn't strike me as very sincere.

Judging from their platform, a name like the Secular Progressive Party would be both more accurate and more inviting to deists, Quakers, and other fellow travelers.
While you are entitled to your opinion, I prefer to apply a little more critical thinking to it. When I saw the name I wasn't keen on it but I do like that they aren't applying a deity to their politics. People are so hung up on the name when that's not even an issue. This is why things are never hashed out. Let's concentrate on the real logical issues and not some biased illogical reason for disliking them.

— idiot adjective

06-04-2012, 12:44 PM
What are their issues other than not identifying with a deity?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
06-04-2012, 12:48 PM
(06-04-2012 12:44 PM)lucradis Wrote:  What are their issues other than not identifying with a deity?
You can find out more about their stance on things here:

http://www.usanap.org/

— idiot adjective

06-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Oh I am actually aware I was just being a smart ass.
I was trying to illustrate that the only thing most people are aware of is that they are atheists.

Anyways I'm Canadian so none of it bothers me much.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
09-04-2012, 09:59 AM
(06-04-2012 12:41 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  
(06-04-2012 12:34 PM)Dean J. Smith Wrote:  I have an issue with the name. It's pure identity politics. I would no more join it than I would the National Brown-hair Party. Sure it may say blondes are welcome, but it doesn't strike me as very sincere.

While you are entitled to your opinion, I prefer to apply a little more critical thinking to it. When I saw the name I wasn't keen on it but I do like that they aren't applying a deity to their politics. People are so hung up on the name when that's not even an issue. This is why things are never hashed out. Let's concentrate on the real logical issues and not some biased illogical reason for disliking them.

Keep telling yourself the name doesn't matter. That's what the Brights do. Marketing is irrelevant when trying to establish a movement. It'll be big and I'll have missed getting in on the ground floor,and then I'll be sorry and have to bow to your superior critical thinking practices.
09-04-2012, 10:05 AM
(09-04-2012 09:59 AM)Dean J. Smith Wrote:  
(06-04-2012 12:41 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  While you are entitled to your opinion, I prefer to apply a little more critical thinking to it. When I saw the name I wasn't keen on it but I do like that they aren't applying a deity to their politics. People are so hung up on the name when that's not even an issue. This is why things are never hashed out. Let's concentrate on the real logical issues and not some biased illogical reason for disliking them.

Keep telling yourself the name doesn't matter. That's what the Brights do. Marketing is irrelevant when trying to establish a movement. It'll be big and I'll have missed getting in on the ground floor,and then I'll be sorry and have to bow to your superior critical thinking practices.
Your sarcasm belittles your intelligence. I'm less than impressed.

— idiot adjective

09-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Yes you can look and see their stances but what do many of those have to do with Atheism? Nothing at all

The reason the name matters:

Atheism isn't a viewpoint on ANYTHING other than the topic of a deity existing. It unites nothing in any other political or social category.

The Secular Progressive or Humanist types of names they had once considered were are actually fitting with their stances in whole. It covers the singular movement of handling issues without a deity or higher power being attributed as one of many fitting issues.
10-04-2012, 06:11 AM
Yes the name for some does invoke an emotional response for some. Honestly this is a bias and illogical reason not to support them. Now if you didn't agree with their policies I could understand that. This is another reason atheists can't get a strong foot planted.

Atheists are always talking about how they use logic for their deconversion, I suppose this is where it stops. I support them and nearly all atheist movements unless it is detrimental to mankind as a whole.

Can you give a logical reason for not supporting them other than a policy reason? If you have a policy reason is it a logical reason?

— idiot adjective