National Prayer Day ??? (USA)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2014, 05:14 AM
National Prayer Day ??? (USA)
WTF ? I must have had my head in the sand for a long time because I've never heard of this shit before.

Thursday, May 1
The National Day of Prayer is an annual observance held on the first Thursday of May, inviting people of all faiths to pray for the nation. It was created in 1952 by a joint resolution of the United States Congress and signed into law by President Harry S. Truman. This is the 63rd year for the National Day of Prayer. The theme for this year is "One Voice United in Prayer".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was sent to me by the city events director..... for some reason it seems wrong for a government agency to support this event, but it was signed into law.... I'm confused now. Hobo

http://www.inverness-fl.gov/Calendar.asp...&calType=0

What are your thoughts on this ?

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
29-04-2014, 05:27 AM
RE: National Prayer Day ??? (USA)
(29-04-2014 05:14 AM)War Horse Wrote:  ...

That Murikans are insane?

You've got a damn fine Constitution that other countries are copying and people keep violating it?

And... enjoy the day. Which prayer will you be reciting?
[Image: 23.jpg__1312309452_4383.gif]

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
29-04-2014, 05:36 AM
Another remnant of that shit-hole decade called the 50's. Where the word "God" appeared on and in everything here in the States.

Were it not for the fact that McCarthyism is still alive and strong with the dingbats in the GOP, I think we would have been rid of things like this by now.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
[+] 1 user Likes Anudist's post
29-04-2014, 05:41 AM
(29-04-2014 05:27 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(29-04-2014 05:14 AM)War Horse Wrote:  ...

That Murikans are insane?

You've got a damn fine Constitution that other countries are copying and people keep violating it?

And... enjoy the day. Which prayer will you be reciting?

Um, the only one I know;

"bless our bikes,bless our food, and may our ol' ladies always be in the mood"

Or... we got commandments too; Smartass

The Biker Commandments
Don't take any shit. Be kind to woman, children and animals, but don't take any bullshit. This is an essential part of being a biker. It has to do with respect and honor. Anyone can be a brash, quick- tempered lout. Be cool, stand tall and backup what you say with action.

Never lie, cheat or steal. Another way of saying this is to always tell the truth. Bikers are always the greasy bad guys in the movies, but every real biker knows that his word is his bond. Your word is all you have in life that is truly yours. Guard it carefully and be about something noble, for you are a true knight of the road.

Don't snitch. If you see a wrong, fight it yourself. If you are about anything, you'll take care of problems yourself and never feel the need to snitch someone off. Snitches are the lowest life forms on earth, right up there with biker thieves. This rule goes hand in hand with the next one.

Don't Snivel. Absolutely no one likes or respects a sniveler. Another way to say this is hold your mud. Still another way to think of it is, "Don't sweat the small stuff." Most of life's little inconveniences work themselves out whether you snivel or not. Keep your chin up, dammit! You're a biker, not some lowly mollusk.

Never say die and never give up. Whether it's in a fight, a debate, or a business deal, no matter how bad it gets, a biker never gives up. That's why you see a lot of wealthy bikers these days, 'cause they don't know how to quit in any element of their lives. In the biker world of rugged individualists, only the strong survive.

Help others. When a brother or sister is broken down by the side of the road, stop and help them. Even moral support, it that is all you can give, is better than riding on by. Remember life is about the journey, the ride, not getting there. You already are there. And don't just help bikers, show the world that we are better than our image portrays us. Courtesy costs you nothing and gives you everything.

Stick to your guns. Do what you say you'll do, be there when you say you will. This is called integrity. This also goes back to standing for something. Like the song says, "You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything."

Life is not a drill. Yeah, this ain't no dress rehearsal. This is life-go out and take big bites of it. You've got no time to lose and bikers don't stand around waiting for the party to come to them. You only go around once. Tomorrow you could be road kill, thanks to a chain smoker asleep at the wheel of his Caddy. Live life now, make the most of each moment. This is not a drill.

Summary
All right, now let's review. You are a biker, a modern-day knight of the road. Protect the weak, walk tall and stand proud. Your word is your bond. Stick to your guns. Don't take any shit. Life is not a drill. Now go forth and ride. When in doubt, ride. That's what we do...ride. If you want to ride around in a Day-Glo Hawaiian shirt and sandals, go for it, but if you intend to look like a goof, at least don't act like a goof. These commandments are just a few of the broad strokes, there is a lot more to being a biker than buying a bike. If you just buy a bike, you are a motorcyclist. Being a biker is a way of life, a proud way of life we hold in high regard and with a burning passion for the open highway and for life.

Now ride, dammit!

- Author Unknown

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 4 users Like War Horse's post
29-04-2014, 05:49 AM
Maybe they should pick specific topics to pray for each year. One year we could all pray for peace on Earth, and then watch it not happen. Then the next we could all pray for the end to world hunger, and then watch it not happen. The next one could be for praying that God allows the atheists to see him, and then letting the statistics show it's not working.

And maybe, eventually, after a decade or so, some people might realize "Wait a minute, this is bull crap!".
[+] 3 users Like CleverUsername's post
29-04-2014, 05:50 AM
For some reason, I've just remembered something from 35 years ago when I used to illegally frequent a biker bar in the middle of nowhere, somewhere in the UK countryside.

Was it a badge on a jacket or a t-shirt? I'm not sure.

But it went...

"I'd rather see my sister in a whorehouse than my brother on a Honda!"

Ah! Good times.

Hobo

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
29-04-2014, 06:32 AM
Uh, May first is May Day. Prayer usurped May Day?

That said, I'm celebrating May Day, the fertility "rites of spring" with an old fashioned "roll in the hay" and a bottle of dry red wine.

Who remembers the May Pole?

Don't pray, copulate.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 5 users Like Dee's post
29-04-2014, 08:38 AM
(29-04-2014 05:14 AM)War Horse Wrote:  WTF ? I must have had my head in the sand for a long time because I've never heard of this shit before.

Thursday, May 1
The National Day of Prayer is an annual observance held on the first Thursday of May, inviting people of all faiths to pray for the nation. It was created in 1952 by a joint resolution of the United States Congress and signed into law by President Harry S. Truman. This is the 63rd year for the National Day of Prayer. The theme for this year is "One Voice United in Prayer".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was sent to me by the city events director..... for some reason it seems wrong for a government agency to support this event, but it was signed into law.... I'm confused now. Hobo

I never heard of that either. It's not bad enough that we have to have a national day for just about anything - I mean, today is apparently National Zipper Day Rolleyes - but prayer now too?. This is getting downright embarrassing. Sad

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
29-04-2014, 08:43 AM
Praises to Tolkien and his mighty creation.

Amen.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
29-04-2014, 08:43 AM
(29-04-2014 05:14 AM)War Horse Wrote:  WTF ? I must have had my head in the sand for a long time because I've never heard of this shit before.

Thursday, May 1

Well, I suppose if everyone is going to be busy praying that day I will go get groceries. Should have the store pretty much to myself. So, that's a plus.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post