National Prayer Day ??? (USA)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2014, 08:48 AM
RE: National Prayer Day ??? (USA)
(29-04-2014 08:43 AM)Anjele Wrote:  ...
Well, I suppose if everyone is going to be busy praying that day I will go get groceries. Should have the store pretty much to myself. So, that's a plus.

And yet... who will be around to serve you?

Smartass

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2014, 08:51 AM
(29-04-2014 08:48 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
Well, I suppose if everyone is going to be busy praying that day I will go get groceries. Should have the store pretty much to myself. So, that's a plus.

Smartass

Anjele, I'll serve you Wink
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
29-04-2014, 08:51 AM
This is one of those things that I simply cannot fathom how this is constitutional. I've read "justifications" of it that were nothing more than mental gymnastics that would win Olympic Gold. Most of them use some form of "it's not mandatory, so it's ok" or they're not specifying WHICH god you should pray to, so its' ok". It's all bullshit, plain and simple, designed to protect our great nation from the godless communists. Dodgy

How about a National Day of Science where everyone should go out and perform at least one science experiment and write a thank you letter to their favorite scientist for their contributions to the betterment of humanity. Thumbsup

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
29-04-2014, 08:55 AM
I'll be reciting the constitution and first amendment all day.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 4 users Like Alex_Leonardo's post
29-04-2014, 09:04 AM
I'm all for respecting someones right to believe what they want on the condition it doesn't aim to interfere with the lives of others, harm anyway, or in any other way have a derogatory affect on anyone.

I also don't see the point of assigning days to absolutely everything. Seems rather pointless to me.
[+] 1 user Likes Dyer51's post
29-04-2014, 09:06 AM
(29-04-2014 05:14 AM)War Horse Wrote:  WTF ? I must have had my head in the sand for a long time because I've never heard of this shit before.

Thursday, May 1
The National Day of Prayer is an annual observance held on the first Thursday of May, inviting people of all faiths to pray for the nation. It was created in 1952 by a joint resolution of the United States Congress and signed into law by President Harry S. Truman. This is the 63rd year for the National Day of Prayer. The theme for this year is "One Voice United in Prayer".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was sent to me by the city events director..... for some reason it seems wrong for a government agency to support this event, but it was signed into law.... I'm confused now. Hobo

http://www.inverness-fl.gov/Calendar.asp...&calType=0

What are your thoughts on this ?

Probably just an idiotic reaction to "labour day".

In the rest of the world the 1st of may is an official labour day holiday.

It`s the day when in communist countries tanks parade through streets and people are forced to cheer them. Whlest in non communist countries people simply get a day off.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
29-04-2014, 09:07 AM
(29-04-2014 08:48 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Smartass

Well, I am in Texas...guess I'll have to use the self-checkout lane. Smile

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-04-2014, 11:40 AM
I am in Texas also, and if I don't see alot of healings and get rich stories on the following day, that will be proof of just another day in crazytown.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 2 users Like Timber1025's post
29-04-2014, 11:55 AM
(29-04-2014 05:41 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Bikers are always the greasy bad guys in the movies
Yeah, I remember all those greasy bikers in ET, what a bunch of bastards! Big Grin

Regarding the topic under consideration, I think a national prayer day is doubly stupid. It is not only stupid because prayer itself achieves nothing, it is also stupid because, if prayer achieved something, the sensible thing would be promoting it for every day, not focusing it on a single day.

But in the end of the day, laws are simply the opinions of legislators; the difference is that we give them the ability to turn their opinions into mandatory guidelines of behaviour. But they can be bollocks, just like any other opinion.

Happy riding!
[+] 1 user Likes living thing's post
29-04-2014, 12:13 PM
Will we ever have an atheist president? I hope if/when that happens, they will take away all of these nonsensical things that just further divides the believers from the unbelievers. If people believe and want to pray to whatever fictional god they want, so be it. To make it a "national" day serves no purpose but to exclude people who don't share the same sentiments.

Instead of a "national prayer" day, why not make it something that can be more flexible in the way it's celebrated or interpreted? Take Thanksgiving for example. It can be celebrated by everyone. People can thank their imaginary god, while others can give credit to where it's due. People can thank the firefighters, and cops and others that put their lives at risk for others, and the farmers that grow food, and the doctors that help people, and so on..

I probably wouldn't make a good politician...

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.