National Review: The Price I Paid for Not Supporting Donald Trump

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2016, 07:14 PM
RE: National Review: The Price I Paid for Not Supporting Donald Trump
(22-10-2016 06:44 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(22-10-2016 05:36 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  It does, but what Trump is stirring up is a good deal uglier than the usual shit. It has been a long time since the US saw an election this vicious.

I really do love the incredible irony of the PC nature of the term "alt right". WTF are they "alt" to?!? Sanity? Let's call them what they are, cowardly bigots.

alt in alt right means alternative right. AKA the none Christian Evangelist socially conservative right wing. While they are not fundamentaly atheist and have a certain sympathy for christianity (they love the cultural christian part of it), if you are not profoundly religious, relatively young and strongly bigoted, you are part of the alt right.

Thanks. I was pretty certain that was what alt stood for. I grew up in the alt.everything BBS days.

I'm simply unwilling to allow them to hide behind such an empty term. They rage against anything PC then hide behind something that devoid of meaning? Sorry, no. The Ass Right is obviously a festering boil on one cheek and it isn't the left. They're clansmen using the anonimity of the internet in place of a hood.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Paleophyte's post
23-10-2016, 01:52 PM
Sort of further along the lines of media intimidation...back in the 1930s, the term "lugenpresse" was used by the Nazis to describe the "lying press" who they claimed would lie about Hitler. A video from outside the Press Pen at a Trump rally, where men call the journalists "lugenpresse".

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-10-2016, 10:02 AM
Scary stuff! I'm afraid we're going to see voter intimation on Nov 8th by some of these wackos. Dodgy

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
24-10-2016, 11:07 AM
"Basket of deplorables" comes to mind. I can't wait for this election to be over.

"just an FYI: There are 2 kinds of people in the world -- those who divide everybody into 2 kinds of people & those who don't." Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes MustangManda's post
24-10-2016, 03:00 PM
You guys think it's over after the election?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
24-10-2016, 03:03 PM
Will America be the same place next year?

Whoever gets the poisoned chalice.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 2 users Like Gloucester's post
24-10-2016, 03:03 PM
(23-10-2016 01:52 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Sort of further along the lines of media intimidation...back in the 1930s, the term "lugenpresse" was used by the Nazis to describe the "lying press" who they claimed would lie about Hitler. A video from outside the Press Pen at a Trump rally, where men call the journalists "lugenpresse".

i.e. they're comfortable linking themselves to Nazism because they *are* little fucken douche-bag neo-Nazis.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
24-10-2016, 03:36 PM
(24-10-2016 03:00 PM)morondog Wrote:  You guys think it's over after the election?

Clinton will be president when the election is over. Little Donny will cry "foul" until his dying day. I also hope the GOP cleans up the candidate selection process so that this sort of crap doesn't happen again.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
24-10-2016, 03:58 PM
(24-10-2016 03:03 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  Will America be the same place next year?

Whoever gets the poisoned chalice.

I think Trumps success, as it were, has been based on providing a gathering point for these folks.

But after this election, what candidate who might want to court this crowd has the background that can stand up to the scrutiny of a Presidential campaign?

I think this is one of many populist groundswells that have happened throughout American history ... we tend to revert to the center (insofar as Americans see it) after this sort of thing -- going back to the Know-Nothings, WJ Bryan, George Wallace, etc.

We grow our own demagogues, and they do attract the disaffected, but their impact historically has been relatively small.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
24-10-2016, 04:00 PM
Hillary was quite right to call them Deplorable. The only thing she got wrong was the fraction.

Far more than half are scumbags.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!