National implications if NOT voting was made illegal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2012, 06:27 PM
RE: National implications if NOT voting was made illegal?
(10-11-2012 05:50 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:As long as they don't force you to vote for someone, the blank vote can
convey a very important message to the ruling class, if a lot of people
votes blank then they know they can't have too much legitimacy and
they'll be more cautious with what they do.

I think you trust that politicians care enough about legitimacy when as long as they win, I'm sure they really don't care how many people voted/didn't vote.
When the percentage is high enough it starts to matter, because the people usually blocks any decision and help to destabilize the government. If there's not enough legitimacy, they may win, but it won't last. And there's the importance of the blank vote.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2012, 08:37 PM
I don't believe that choosing not to vote should be illegal (if it was put up for debate, I am sure those who choose not to vote would certainly vote against this issue), though I do lose respect for people who choose not to vote. These are decisions that effect not only you, but everyone. Make a fucking decision and educate yourself.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
11-11-2012, 01:25 AM
The overall effects are that political parties have a reduced need to pander to and energise their extreme base and an increased need to pander to the centre. This results in a more stable political system that better serves the needs of its citizens. Trading this for the "liberty" of non mandatory voting is silly. Any individual who does not wish to cast is ballot is free to turn up and submit an informal or donkey ballot. The requirement of a mandatory voting system is that you must turn up.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
11-11-2012, 01:39 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2012 03:03 AM by Diablo666.)
(10-11-2012 08:37 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I don't believe that choosing not to vote should be illegal (if it was put up for debate, I am sure those who choose not to vote would certainly vote against this issue), though I do lose respect for people who choose not to vote. These are decisions that effect not only you, but everyone. Make a fucking decision and educate yourself.
When your choice is corporate sellout A or B, then do you really even have a choice? Even if you manage to get someone in office that isn't a complete sellout, then they are rendered useless by the 90% that are.

Obama seems to be a good example. He can't really accomplish much of anything, or at least not as much as you would hope he would.
Thus, you aren't voting for him, but against Romney.
Things might not get any better under Obama, but at least Romney can't make them worse.

For me, that is not enough incentive to care.
11-11-2012, 11:12 PM
You get fined for not voting in Australia - if you're on the electoral roll, that is! (about $60)

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
12-11-2012, 01:31 AM
(11-11-2012 11:12 PM)aurora Wrote:  You get fined for not voting in Australia - if you're on the electoral roll, that is! (about $60)

Damn. ... You bitches are butch. Thumbsup

How do you deal with those who can't physically make it to the polls?

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
12-11-2012, 01:35 AM
I think it's through mail.. I am not sure just yet...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
12-11-2012, 01:47 AM
(12-11-2012 01:35 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I think it's through mail.. I am not sure just yet...

Goddam Ozzies apparently do have compulsory voting .... Dunno whether that's good or bad, but it sure as shit is interesting.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
12-11-2012, 01:55 AM
You didn't know?

...Well regardless, I am still going to vote for myself.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
07-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Aussies are a bit weird, what did you expect?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]