National implications if NOT voting was made illegal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2012, 08:44 AM
RE: National implications if NOT voting was made illegal?
(09-12-2012 07:36 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  This demonstrates your lack of knowledge. The government does not count those who do not vote, therefore your little "statement" has absolutely no meaning, no purpose, and does not serve to help anyone. There are plenty of things that you are able to vote for that have plenty of options. If you don't like the primary party's candidates, for example, vote third party. At least show a little understanding about how the world works.

The idea that you actually make a statement that carries any weight by not voting is a complete and total sham.
I know that my no vote doesnt get counted bro (im in the UK by the way)
The amount of people who vote is dropping over here. The last elections had a reduced turn out and we recently had local elections to vote in local police commissioners and the turn out was dreadfull.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20352539

David Scameron does say in the article that the low turnout could be down to it being new. I think there is probably a lot of truth in that but I also have to say that the gov were not very informative on it. When people were asked on the street about who they voted for most people didnt know that a vote was occuring, a lot of people said they didnt bother going caus they didnt know anything about the people they were voting for, nor did they understand the system itself (of police commissioners)

I think that if vote counts keep falling (in general elections), then that in itself is a statement that people may not believe in the system as much anymore

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2012, 08:59 AM
(09-12-2012 08:44 AM)bemore Wrote:  
(09-12-2012 07:36 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  This demonstrates your lack of knowledge. The government does not count those who do not vote, therefore your little "statement" has absolutely no meaning, no purpose, and does not serve to help anyone. There are plenty of things that you are able to vote for that have plenty of options. If you don't like the primary party's candidates, for example, vote third party. At least show a little understanding about how the world works.

The idea that you actually make a statement that carries any weight by not voting is a complete and total sham.
I know that my no vote doesnt get counted bro (im in the UK by the way)
The amount of people who vote is dropping over here. The last elections had a reduced turn out and we recently had local elections to vote in local police commissioners and the turn out was dreadfull.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20352539

David Scameron does say in the article that the low turnout could be down to it being new. I think there is probably a lot of truth in that but I also have to say that the gov were not very informative on it. When people were asked on the street about who they voted for most people didnt know that a vote was occuring, a lot of people said they didnt bother going caus they didnt know anything about the people they were voting for, nor did they understand the system itself (of police commissioners)

I think that if vote counts keep falling (in general elections), then that in itself is a statement that people may not believe in the system as much anymore
So lets say next election vote rate will be 47% (the figure sounds logic?)
It means your government will be elected by the minority. What do you think will happen? the elected will say "oh, we were elected by minority, we shouldn't rule, we need to change the system and begin all over again?" I doubt it.
47% vote rate doesn't mean someone will change the system you don't believe in, it means someone you don't believe in his way will rule you, and I'm not even sure if for only 4 years.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-12-2012, 09:08 AM
(09-12-2012 08:59 AM)shiranl Wrote:  So lets say next election vote rate will be 47% (the figure sounds logic?)
It means your government will be elected by the minority. What do you think will happen? the elected will say "oh, we were elected by minority, we shouldn't rule, we need to change the system and begin all over again?" I doubt it.
47% vote rate doesn't mean someone will change the system you don't believe in, it means someone you don't believe in his way will rule you, and I'm not even sure if for only 4 years.
I never said it would.

Who knows what would happen if that did occur?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
09-12-2012, 09:14 AM
(09-12-2012 08:28 AM)shiranl Wrote:  
(09-12-2012 07:54 AM)Chas Wrote:  The solution is civic education, not imposing freedom-destroying laws.
And something that will not take 20 years?
and we already doing that, btw.

And I think you over dramatizing it. Which freedom it destroys? freedom of speech? it makes people use their freedom of speech! it is the complete opposite of freedom of speech abuse!
Forcing anyone to do anything is an encroachment on freedom. Is that difficult to grasp?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
09-12-2012, 09:16 AM
(09-12-2012 09:08 AM)bemore Wrote:  
(09-12-2012 08:59 AM)shiranl Wrote:  So lets say next election vote rate will be 47% (the figure sounds logic?)
I never said it would.

I already told you what will happen if that occur- your government, the body who rules you and your taxes, will be elected by the minority. You'll be ruled by the minority's government. I prefer my government more majority-like, don't know what about you
09-12-2012, 09:22 AM
(09-12-2012 09:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-12-2012 08:28 AM)shiranl Wrote:  And something that will not take 20 years?
and we already doing that, btw.

And I think you over dramatizing it. Which freedom it destroys? freedom of speech? it makes people use their freedom of speech! it is the complete opposite of freedom of speech abuse!
Forcing anyone to do anything is an encroachment on freedom. Is that difficult to grasp?
Everyone is forced to do a lot of things and that doesn't mean you don't have freedom, but that freedom has limits. It's not that problematic.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
09-12-2012, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2012 10:12 AM by shiranl.)
forcing someone to vote is just like security check ups in the airport- taking a certain freedom from an individual for the greater good.
09-12-2012, 09:26 AM
(09-12-2012 09:16 AM)shiranl Wrote:  
(09-12-2012 09:08 AM)bemore Wrote:  I never said it would.

I already told you what will happen if that occur- your government, the body who rules you and your taxes, will be elected by the minority. You'll be ruled by the minority's government. I prefer my government more majority-like, don't know what about you

If 50% of my countries population dont vote (approx 30 million people) I would ask why this was the case and what implications would it have in the future of voting.

If 30 million people are unhappy with the system, then that could be the beginning of a change in the system.

So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
09-12-2012, 09:28 AM
(09-12-2012 08:31 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(09-12-2012 08:05 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  The absence of a vote is not a vote.

You make it sound like a single vote matters.

Only on a local matter or with local offices, but certainly not on any kind of national level.
We are not specifically addressing a federal or state vote.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
09-12-2012, 09:29 AM
(09-12-2012 09:26 AM)bemore Wrote:  
(09-12-2012 09:16 AM)shiranl Wrote:  I already told you what will happen if that occur- your government, the body who rules you and your taxes, will be elected by the minority. You'll be ruled by the minority's government. I prefer my government more majority-like, don't know what about you

If 50% of my countries population dont vote (approx 30 million people) I would ask why this was the case and what implications would it have in the future of voting.

If 30 million people are unhappy with the system, then that could be the beginning of a change in the system.
No, the government would disregard it, and possibly use that as a way to seize control. Not voting is not an intelligent thing to do.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab