National implications if NOT voting was made illegal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2012, 04:14 PM
National implications if NOT voting was made illegal?
What would be biggest results if not voting was made illegal?

note: Please keep any discussion about private prisons only relevant to politics.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2012, 04:24 PM
RE: National implications if NOT voting was made illegal?
(09-11-2012 04:14 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  What would be biggest results if not voting was made illegal?

note: Please keep any discussion about private prisons only relevant to politics.
Then it would no longer be a basic freedom.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Some party called "Vote for This Party if you Don't give a Shit" would gain a shit load of power.

We have a joke party every election or so that's running on really stupid humorous policies, they get half or a whole percent.

It's called adverse selection. Those that value it the most do it, aka those that value democracy/their party/change/having their say/etc.. will vote, and those that don't, wont.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
09-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Well, once I am of voting age I'll be forced to vote, it's not really that bad, but it does force the stupid people whom have no business voting to vote and fuck with the smart people's votes...

Though the laws don't say I'd have to vote of an actual party. I may as well vote for myself, can't fuck up any worse than Gillard did during her (currently ongoing) reign of incompetency...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
09-11-2012, 07:29 PM
(09-11-2012 07:18 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Well, once I am of voting age I'll be forced to vote, it's not really that bad, but it does force the stupid people whom have no business voting to vote and fuck with the smart people's votes...

Though the laws don't say I'd have to vote of an actual party. I may as well vote for myself, can't fuck up any worse than Gillard did during her (currently ongoing) reign of incompetency...
You're giving a list of options and have to tick one, unless you're running as an independent I don't think you'll find yourself on the voting slip.
But yes, Gillard is a bitch. Plus she has a really really strong Aussie accent, it's disgusting.

Actually talking about disgusting, was watching Sky News New Zealand (it's no way in hell New Zealand news, it's Australian) and a show called 'Rico' was on. Fucking hell, I knew Aussies were racists, but... woooooooow. Get them talking about boat people...

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
09-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Your actions and inactions affect society as a whole. You have to take responsibility for them, even forced to.

I don't agree with the suggestion that "stupid people out number smart people, therefore society will suffer." The US has a party, an incredibly powerful one, whose base are ignorant, and dangerous. They're driven, and they're guaranteed to vote. It's the so called "smart people" who are disillusioned, and apathetic. I'd argue that the opposite would happen, society would be better off.
09-11-2012, 07:31 PM
(09-11-2012 07:29 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(09-11-2012 07:18 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Well, once I am of voting age I'll be forced to vote, it's not really that bad, but it does force the stupid people whom have no business voting to vote and fuck with the smart people's votes...

You're giving a list of options and have to tick one, unless you're running as an independent I don't think you'll find yourself on the voting slip.
But yes, Gillard is a bitch. Plus she has a really really strong Aussie accent, it's disgusting.

Actually talking about disgusting, was watching Sky News New Zealand (it's no way in hell New Zealand news, it's Australian) and a show called 'Rico' was on. Fucking hell, I knew Aussies were racists, but... woooooooow.
We're not racist, we just have everybody else a little more obviously then we hate our selves.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
09-11-2012, 07:32 PM
(09-11-2012 07:30 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  Your actions and inactions affect society as a whole. You have to take responsibility for them, even forced to.

I don't agree with the suggestion that "stupid people out number smart people, therefore society will suffer." The US has a party, incredibly powerful, whose base are ignorant, and dangerous. They vote, they're guaranteed to vote. It's the so called "smart people" who are disillusioned, and apathetic. I'd argue that the opposite would happen, society would be better off.

depends on who they would vote for and who decides what's better for the country.
ie: If they all vote Democrat and you're a democrat then of course you're gonna say it's better for the country. But if they all vote Republican, well I hope they all stay at home on voting day.

09-11-2012, 09:02 PM
I don't know, but if they allowed people to vote over the internet then pot would be practically mandatory on your 18th birthday.

09-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Meh, here voting is mandatory and is not a big deal, I never met or heard of anyone really having to serve the two or three days in prison for not voting.
The thing is, when something is both a right AND a duty, the lines what should be done gets too fuzzy, but here it helps promoting civic responsibility, so it could help imo.

In the end it really depends on the idiosyncrasy of the people.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]