Nationality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2013, 02:10 PM
RE: Nationality
(24-04-2013 12:45 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(24-04-2013 12:37 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I completely agree with you up until the point you said nationality has no definitive power. To a degree, it does. Countries have history, they make policies that generally, in the West, represent what that specific group of people want. I agree that nationality is definitely detrimental, but it did and still does have a purpose, just like religion.

I never said it doesn't serve a purpose. In today's world. Hopefully, this will change in the future.

As for nationality defining an individual - I stand by my words. It only defines you if that's all you have. Does the place you're born in influence you? Yes, to a lesser or greater extent (esp. if you never do leave this place for more than a couple of weeks and only associate with people from the exact same background). Does it make you who you are? Not in the least bit. I am not my tribe and my tribe isn't me.

To a large existent, your nation does form who you are. Each country's government approaches social issues differently, with their own method, and often create unique legislation. The society in which you develop very much defines you. A nation is simply a society that has agreed on borders, so to say your nation does not define you is to say that your society does not define you. We are all different, we approach things differently because of the society we are raised in.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2013, 03:05 PM
(24-04-2013 02:10 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  To a large existent, your nation does form who you are. Each country's government approaches social issues differently, with their own method, and often create unique legislation. The society in which you develop very much defines you. A nation is simply a society that has agreed on borders, so to say your nation does not define you is to say that your society does not define you. We are all different, we approach things differently because of the society we are raised in.

Since I have much more in common with, for example, British people and Brazilians (and that's overgeneralising a lot), than I do with Bulgarians, and above all, with myself and not any group of people in particular, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
26-04-2013, 04:29 AM
People want to belong in a certain group and groups tend to not accept people who act differently. People who have a sense of belonging to a tight community tend to live longer because you feel the need to support each other in any way you can. You can't just support everyone you meet, there are too many people for that, you have to select a small amount of people you feel comfortable with. Nationality is one of those bigger groups but it's mostly divided in smaller communities like towns, in a way nationality is an overarching term for all the groups and communities in a certain region to give them an extra sense of belonging and extra care like education, health care, etc. You can't just remove the idea of nationality as there's a clear border between countries and how people behave there. If I go to a country and behave in a way that's not seen as the typical way they won't really accept me as one of them and like I said, people kinda need a sense of belonging to a rather small group of people who mostly share the same habits. That's why foreigners tend to hang around with other foreigners, and natives hang around with other natives.

chan chan ki sikin aman
26-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Hey, Crusher.

That was a fascinating video (with incredible data about the power of prayer, religion and social connection that must piss off a lot of Atheists Cool ).

Did you post it just to illustrate that cultures are different?

In terms of clear borders, I'm half Zambian. There are 73 languages spoken in Zambia. The national identity and the tribal identity are actually at odds. You could eliminate the national identity pretty easily I think.

At any rate, I see where you're coming from and offer this. Nationalism is a fiction. It is what it is, it does what it does, but it is in no way indispensable and in no way irreplaceable.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
26-04-2013, 11:26 AM
(26-04-2013 10:51 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Crusher.

That was a fascinating video (with incredible data about the power of prayer, religion and social connection that must piss off a lot of Atheists Cool ).

Did you post it just to illustrate that cultures are different?

In terms of clear borders, I'm half Zambian. There are 73 languages spoken in Zambia. The national identity and the tribal identity are actually at odds. You could eliminate the national identity pretty easily I think.

At any rate, I see where you're coming from and offer this. Nationalism is a fiction. It is what it is, it does what it does, but it is in no way indispensable and in no way irreplaceable.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

I posted it to illustrate a sense of belonging is healthy, it's in our nature to be part of a group. I accept nationality isn't that important, in fact as the video shows the people who live the longest belong to a small group a community at best, they aren't nationalists, I'm not a nationalist either btw but when a group of people want to belong to a nationality but don't behave like people do in general in that nation then I don't consider them part of that nationality even if they are officially. Does it matter? Not really, but if it matters to them they should put some effort into it to achieve it.

chan chan ki sikin aman
15-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Turks(I) would consider you a cultural mutant (Deutschländer) if not a foreigner . Belgians may see you as a well integrated "3rd gen. immigrant", which means that they may burn your house down when unemployment increases. In any case you are welcome in the global world.
18-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Nationality
A nationality is a good mix of retro-active historical revisionism, exaggeration of good things and down playing of bad shit, put all this together and you get a fresh steaming pile of a purely man made and concocted notion of "nationality".