Native Americans walk off Adam Sandler Set

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2015, 04:43 PM
Native Americans walk off Adam Sandler Set
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mov...story.html

Quote:Actor Loren Anthony told ICT that the script featured insulting names for Native American characters, such as Beaver's Breath and No Bra. He also said some scenes were disrespectul and inaccurate in their portrayals of American Indian culture, including one with an Apache woman squatting and urinating while smoking a peace pipe.

Quote:In the wake of criticism of "Ridiculous Six," Netflix released a statement defending the film. "The movie has 'ridiculous' in the title for a reason: because it is ridiculous," the company said. "It is a broad satire of Western movies and the stereotypes they popularized, featuring a diverse cast that is not only part of — but in on — the joke."

I saw on one of the news channels that Native Americans are highly offended over the content of the show, as well as the response form Netflix. They feel Netflix is being insensitive. That people should boycott them.

What do you think? I personally don't get it. Movies and TV comedies and satires poke fun at just about every culture known to man. I could see taking offense if people on set were treating the actors poorly, but didn't these people see a script before they signed up for the job?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Smercury44's post
24-04-2015, 04:50 PM
RE: Native Americans walk off Adam Sandler Set
Dumb people are offended by everything.
24-04-2015, 04:56 PM
Adam Sandler movies have offensive, inaccurate, and disrespectful portrayals of all people, races, and cultures. I think they should get over it. There are people who are actually being oppressed and discriminated against, I have no sympathy for whiners who can't take a joke.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 5 users Like Losty's post
24-04-2015, 06:24 PM
(24-04-2015 04:43 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mov...story.html

Quote:Actor Loren Anthony told ICT that the script featured insulting names for Native American characters, such as Beaver's Breath and No Bra. He also said some scenes were disrespectul and inaccurate in their portrayals of American Indian culture, including one with an Apache woman squatting and urinating while smoking a peace pipe.

Quote:In the wake of criticism of "Ridiculous Six," Netflix released a statement defending the film. "The movie has 'ridiculous' in the title for a reason: because it is ridiculous," the company said. "It is a broad satire of Western movies and the stereotypes they popularized, featuring a diverse cast that is not only part of — but in on — the joke."

I saw on one of the news channels that Native Americans are highly offended over the content of the show, as well as the response form Netflix. They feel Netflix is being insensitive. That people should boycott them.

What do you think? I personally don't get it. Movies and TV comedies and satires poke fun at just about every culture known to man. I could see taking offense if people on set were treating the actors poorly, but didn't these people see a script before they signed up for the job?

I think sometimes it's not that they're really offended, it's more "what will the neighbors think?" mentality that drives them. They over-identify with their past too.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-04-2015, 07:39 PM
They lost. They should get over it.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
24-04-2015, 07:48 PM
I'm not sure what they were expecting? An insightful movie full of sensitivity.....from Adam Sandler?
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
24-04-2015, 07:52 PM

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
24-04-2015, 08:01 PM
I'm not gonna say they're wrong. Being chronically offended isn't unique to natives, everyone is doing it. I personally wouldn't give a shit. Every demographic I arguably belong to gets made fun of, and I usually just laugh. If they want to walk off in protest, they have that right.

That said... They didn't agree to be on the set of a documentary. It's Adam Sandler ffs. He's Jewish, and did Don't Mess With the Zohan, a movie which makes fun of every Jewish cliche you can possibly think of, and in the context of a very politically sensitive subject (Israel/Palestine), and they're gonna act surprised at the way he wanted to portray them? This is his style of Comedy. It's what he does. Don't like, don't support it. But raising a big stink over it is just silly.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
24-04-2015, 08:34 PM
(24-04-2015 08:01 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I'm not gonna say they're wrong. Being chronically offended isn't unique to natives, everyone is doing it. I personally wouldn't give a shit. Every demographic I arguably belong to gets made fun of, and I usually just laugh. If they want to walk off in protest, they have that right.

That said... They didn't agree to be on the set of a documentary. It's Adam Sandler ffs. He's Jewish, and did Don't Mess With the Zohan, a movie which makes fun of every Jewish cliche you can possibly think of, and in the context of a very politically sensitive subject (Israel/Palestine), and they're gonna act surprised at the way he wanted to portray them? This is his style of Comedy. It's what he does. Don't like, don't support it. But raising a big stink over it is just silly.

Don't forget this -

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
24-04-2015, 10:32 PM
FFS I swear that culture has a major whiny stick up it's ass and gets offended over the stupidest shit.

Choose your battles wisely - this ain't one of them. Maybe focus on the piss poor conditions/"medical care" on reservations.

Adam Sandler making a comedy highlighting their culture will get tons of people talking - granting opportunities for dialogue about issues that really matter and affect their people.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post