Nativity story differences

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2014, 11:58 PM
RE: Nativity story differences
The skeptics annotated bible is a good place for that stuff. Including this fun, but not always useful, graphic

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...adictions/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2014, 12:30 PM
I believe that those who wrote the New Testament did not, themselves, believe that Jesus was a real character or did those things. I believe they intended to write up a fictional character in order to further a Gnostic religion. I think they believed that "reason" was they key to understanding life and morality, not miracles. That would explain all the inconsistencies.

If I, as a follower of Kant, wanted to make people follow the "Categorical Imperative" in this day and age, I would know that the best way to push this idea would be to get J K Rowling to put it in a Harry Potter story because it would reach a much wider audience of people who wanted to be like Harry Potter, than if I put it in a peer reviewed journal which no one reads. (Except posters on internet forums apparently, who are obliged to cite references form PR journals)Smartass

I would expect people looking at the inconsistencies and magic in my book to immediately realize that it was a fiction and not to be read as a true story. Except for the people who needed to think it was a true story and they would go to heaven or hell depending on whether they accepted it as true or not and in respect of those people, I would say, well, hey, I suppose if they didn't have Harry Potter they might be shooting up on heroin or robbing banks rather than going to church on Sundays and standing on street corners handing out leaflets about Harry Potter and so, maybe, after all, it is better not to tell them it was just a story and not actually true... or something like that.
15-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Well, here's my theory. None of the four really knew anything at all about Jesus's ancestry or nativity. Mark and John were smart enough to "not even go there", and started with his adult life. Matthew and Luke felt obliged to show that: (a) Jesus was descended from David, as per prophecy, and (b) Jesus was born in Bethlehem, as per prophecy -- even though everyone knew him as "Jesus of Nazareth".

So they both made up a genealogy (or appropriated an existing one) to show the descent from David. Except -- they chose different sons of David, so the genealogies after that point are completely different. Also, both genealogies lead to Joseph, but since he wasn't Jesus's real father anyway, what's the point?

As for the Bethlehem part, they had to invent a story to have him born in Bethlehem but growing up in Nazareth. The problem is that they invented completely different stories. Matthew has them living in Bethlehem all along, then fleeing to Egypt to avoid the slaughter of the innocents, and then going to Nazareth only because it wasn't safe to return to Bethlehem. Luke has them living in Nazareth, traveling to Bethlehem for a census (which makes no sense at all, by the way), and then returning to Nazareth.

So yeah -- I'm not buying that Matthew thought the journey to Bethlehem (9 months pregnant and riding on a mule! No room at the inn! Born in a stable! etc.) not worth mentioning, and Luke thought the slaughter of the innocents and the flight to Egypt not worth mentioning. Made-up stories, both of them
15-05-2014, 05:20 PM
(07-05-2014 08:33 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Which one has the drummer boy ?
You know. Pa rum pa pum pum.

Man....I HATE that fucking song.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!