Natural born citizen

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2016, 11:47 AM
Natural born citizen
I was having a conversation with my dad the other day and one of the many topics we discussed he brought up was that he was supporting Cruz for president. And this got me thinking "wasn't he born in Canada? And why is no one throwing a fit like they did with Obama?"

Cruz was born in Calgary, Canada, to an American born mother from Delaware and a father from Cuba. Obama had a similar situation where his mother was born in Kansas and father from Kenya.

The constitution says the president must be born a natural citizen. Congress passed the Naturalization act of 1790 which says that children born abroad to U.S. citizens were, too, natural born citizens. So if this is true then there should have never been a problem with where Obama was born because of his mother. I don't see Trump going after Cruz like he did Obama. Infact I think he said something like it wasn't his problem.

Other presidential candidates that were born outside the US were John McCain (Panama Canal Zone), George Romney (Mexico) and Barry Goldwater (Arizona Territory).

A question that I have is if two non citizens of the US are residing in the US and have a child in the US, is that child a natural born citizen or is that child a citizen of the parents home country? And if US citizens can have a child in another country and still have it be a US citizen, shouldn't people from other countries be able to have children here and have their children be citizens of their home country?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes OceanTherapist's post
04-01-2016, 11:54 AM
RE: Natural born citizen
The only thing not similar is Obama was born in the US. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 5 users Like Erxomai's post
04-01-2016, 12:01 PM
The term "natural born citizen" was left undefined and has yet to be brought up in a case in which the decision would set a precedent. Whether him being born out of country is more legally relevant than him being born a U.S./Canadian dual citizen is just a matter of the nature of one's biased interpretation. With Obama it was more about conspiracy theories than legal interpretation.

Either way, I can think of a lot of legally disqualified individuals whom I'd like to see as the president much more than any of the clowns currently competing for the spot.

'Murican Canadian
04-01-2016, 12:03 PM
(04-01-2016 11:54 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  The only thing not similar is Obama was born in the US. Drinking Beverage

True.
04-01-2016, 12:45 PM
(04-01-2016 11:47 AM)OceanTherapist Wrote:  I was having a conversation with my dad the other day and one of the many topics we discussed he brought up was that he was supporting Cruz for president. And this got me thinking "wasn't he born in Canada? And why is no one throwing a fit like they did with Obama?"

Cruz was born in Calgary, Canada, to an American born mother from Delaware and a father from Cuba. Obama had a similar situation where his mother was born in Kansas and father from Kenya.

The constitution says the president must be born a natural citizen. Congress passed the Naturalization act of 1790 which says that children born abroad to U.S. citizens were, too, natural born citizens. So if this is true then there should have never been a problem with where Obama was born because of his mother. I don't see Trump going after Cruz like he did Obama. Infact I think he said something like it wasn't his problem.

Other presidential candidates that were born outside the US were John McCain (Panama Canal Zone), George Romney (Mexico) and Barry Goldwater (Arizona Territory).

A question that I have is if two non citizens of the US are residing in the US and have a child in the US, is that child a natural born citizen or is that child a citizen of the parents home country? And if US citizens can have a child in another country and still have it be a US citizen, shouldn't people from other countries be able to have children here and have their children be citizens of their home country?

Each country has their own citizenship laws and requirements. Yes many people talk about pregnant crossing the border in Texas to have a baby and then 18 years later the American child can legally and without too much struggle bring in her mother and father and siblings. I doubt it happens as often as the xenophobes claim. Here in the Dominican Republic we have a situation with many illegal Haitians. And they have children and the Dom Rep refuses to give them citizenship, and so does Haiti, and they grow up stateless and without an education.
04-01-2016, 12:47 PM
natural born U.S. citizen here (i.e. Born in Seattle to a French mother and a Canadian father) Hobo

Technically, I could be a citizen of all three, since all three countries allow for multiple citizenship; however, I have chosen to be a dual citizen of Canada and France only.

Although he was eligible for it, Cruz has officially renounced his Canadian citizenship.
(He's AAAALLLL yours! NO backsies!)

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
04-01-2016, 12:50 PM
(04-01-2016 11:54 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  The only thing not similar is Obama was born in the US. Drinking Beverage

Yes, of course. When the BS first started to rumble about him being accused of being born in Kenya I went to the library in Chattanooga Tenn and looked in the microfiche for the two Hawaii newspapers for that day and both of them had birth announcements as Obama's team had claimed. Now these records are not on the internet so are not something that could have been tampered with except to physically go to each library and change them. And a place like Chattanooga is one of the last places the forgers would have gone. So that cleared that up in my mind!
04-01-2016, 12:56 PM
(04-01-2016 12:47 PM)Reducetarian Wrote:  natural born U.S. citizen here (i.e. Born in Seattle to a French mother and a Canadian father) Hobo

Technically, I could be a citizen of all three, since all three countries allow for multiple citizenship; however, I have chosen to be a dual citizen of Canada and France only.

Although he was eligible for it, Cruz has officially renounced his Canadian citizenship.

Maybe we can give him to Cuba since we are on talking terms with them now.
04-01-2016, 01:00 PM
(04-01-2016 12:56 PM)OceanTherapist Wrote:  
(04-01-2016 12:47 PM)Reducetarian Wrote:  natural born U.S. citizen here (i.e. Born in Seattle to a French mother and a Canadian father) Hobo

Maybe we can give him to Cuba since we are on talking terms with them now.

Not if you wish to remain on talking terms ...

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 4 users Like Reducetarian's post
04-01-2016, 01:11 PM
The U.S. has some inconsistent dual citizenship policies. It basically amounts to take dual citizenship if you wish, but the U.S. reserves the right to revoke your U.S citizenship at its discretion if it doesn't get along with that country or if you start doing things that would put your loyalties into question. For example, when I get my Canadian citizenship, there will be no problem. But if I suddenly decide to start running for Canadian office or something, which I won't because I'm way too fucked up for my image to survive the inevitable media raping (one screenshot of my Facebook feed, or half the posts I've made here even, would probably be enough to brand me a terrorist in the eyes of the naive majority), I would likely lose my U.S. citizenship. If I were to take citizenship in China or something (I had the theoretical option back when I was married and living in China), I would likely lose my U.S. citizenship regardless of my stated intentions. I assume the same was/is true for Cuba, and choosing to take U.S./Canada over Canada/Cuba was probably a rational decision Smile

The above mentioned Canada/France is also quite a convenient combination for a prospective world traveler or someone who intends to do business abroad and who doesn't want to be burdened by administrative BS all the time, given Canada's place in the Commonwealth and France's place in the EU.

'Murican Canadian