[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2016, 11:40 AM
RE: Natural born citizen
(04-01-2016 11:54 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  The only thing not similar is Obama was born in the US. Drinking Beverage

That's right! Wasn't it VERY CLOSELY just after Hawaii joined the Union?

Heart War Angel Sylia
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-01-2016, 11:55 AM
(04-01-2016 11:47 AM)OceanTherapist Wrote:  I was having a conversation with my dad the other day and one of the many topics we discussed he brought up was that he was supporting Cruz for president. And this got me thinking "wasn't he born in Canada? And why is no one throwing a fit like they did with Obama?"

Cruz was born in Calgary, Canada, to an American born mother from Delaware and a father from Cuba. Obama had a similar situation where his mother was born in Kansas and father from Kenya.

The constitution says the president must be born a natural citizen. Congress passed the Naturalization act of 1790 which says that children born abroad to U.S. citizens were, too, natural born citizens. So if this is true then there should have never been a problem with where Obama was born because of his mother. I don't see Trump going after Cruz like he did Obama. Infact I think he said something like it wasn't his problem.

Other presidential candidates that were born outside the US were John McCain (Panama Canal Zone), George Romney (Mexico) and Barry Goldwater (Arizona Territory).

A question that I have is if two non citizens of the US are residing in the US and have a child in the US, is that child a natural born citizen or is that child a citizen of the parents home country? And if US citizens can have a child in another country and still have it be a US citizen, shouldn't people from other countries be able to have children here and have their children be citizens of their home country?

I think there is a bit of racial prejudice going on here especially among conservatives. I'm not saying that all conservatives are racist. That's just not true. Although most racists in this country tend to be White conservative IMHO. Notice how Cruz, McCain, and Goldwater are not just conservatives. They're also White men too.

I think the Republican party is trying to do everything to illegitimatize the President because not only is he a Democrat but also because he's a Black man. So there's a bit of fringe racist element here,

Heart War Angel Sylia
16-01-2016, 03:26 PM
The father from Cuba was apparently a Canadian citizen at the time of Ted's birth.... and his Mom was, also, apparently a Canadian citizen at that moment.

Go read the Canadian citizenship oath that was in effect at that time.
17-01-2016, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2016 04:10 PM by jabeady.)
(16-01-2016 03:26 PM)coyote Wrote:  The father from Cuba was apparently a Canadian citizen at the time of Ted's birth.... and his Mom was, also, apparently a Canadian citizen at that moment.

Go read the Canadian citizenship oath that was in effect at that time.

Doesn't matter. The US doesn't recognise dual citizenship, and US citizenship can only be renounced at a US consulate. If Ted's mother was a US citizen, and had not renounced her US citizenship at the time Ted was born, he was born a US citizen. Period.

http://www.uscis.gov › policymanual › PDF. The link may not work properly, but you can google Nationality Chart, you're looking for Chart 1.

I covered other aspects of this with, I think, Yakherder, in another thread.
23-01-2016, 05:19 AM
(04-01-2016 07:46 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(04-01-2016 11:54 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  The only thing not similar is Obama was born in the US. Drinking Beverage

And Obama is black, which I think had a lot to do with the whole "birther" bullshit.
That's nonsense. People had the same concerns about John McCain who was born on a US military base.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
23-01-2016, 08:13 AM
(23-01-2016 05:19 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(04-01-2016 07:46 PM)BnW Wrote:  And Obama is black, which I think had a lot to do with the whole "birther" bullshit.
That's nonsense. People had the same concerns about John McCain who was born on a US military base.

People did not have the same concern. The issue was, for McCain, asked and answered.

For Obama, it went on and on, spiraling off into la-la land.

There was almost certainly racism involved. Just look at who were the "birthers".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]