Naturalism = Nihilism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2014, 02:31 AM
RE: Naturalism = Nihilism?
"Whose opinion are we going to force into my kids brains?" - that's what I'm asking you?

They're not capable of deciding these things by themselves!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2014, 03:00 AM
(31-07-2014 02:31 AM)nietzsche101 Wrote:  "Whose opinion are we going to force into my kids brains?" - that's what I'm asking you?

They're not capable of deciding these things by themselves!
Gasp
31-07-2014, 03:02 AM
So....... you believe in "free will"?
31-07-2014, 03:35 AM
(31-07-2014 03:02 AM)nietzsche101 Wrote:  So....... you believe in "free will"?
Nope. We live in a deterministic/probabilistic universe.
31-07-2014, 03:46 AM
....Then one way or another, nature will enforce someone's opinions into your kids brains.

Why not do it yourself?
31-07-2014, 05:57 AM
(31-07-2014 03:46 AM)nietzsche101 Wrote:  ....Then one way or another, nature will enforce someone's opinions into your kids brains.

Why not do it yourself?

Why not teach them how to think rather than what to think?

That's what my parents did for me and for that I am immensely grateful.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
31-07-2014, 07:21 AM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2014 07:51 AM by nietzsche101.)
I agree - thought, how can one even be taught how to think without "ought"(value) statements?

...........A moral nihilist can't even consistently say, that one ought to value; reason, science, evidence or anything for that matter!
31-07-2014, 08:22 AM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2014 10:36 AM by ClydeLee.)
Re: RE: Naturalism = Nihilism?
(31-07-2014 07:21 AM)nietzsche101 Wrote:  I agree - thought, how can one even be taught how to think without "ought"(value) statements?

...........A moral nihilist can't even consistently say, that one ought to value; reason, science, evidence or anything for that matter!

Yes they can.... That's what distinguishes a moral nihilist from simply a nihilist.

You made that clear earlier, but now you act like you don't know what you're talking about.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
31-07-2014, 09:43 AM
Naturalism = Nihilism?
(31-07-2014 07:21 AM)nietzsche101 Wrote:  I agree - thought, how can one even be taught how to think without "ought"(value) statements?

Most children derive their morals from the example of heir parents and peers. The parents' behavior seems to have slightly more importance to most kids than that of peers depending on the kids and parents and the relationships between them.

I don't entirely agree with the assertion that kids are too young to understand philosophy. They may certainly not understand it in an academic sense, but they are always watching the other humans around them and are able to even see the consequences of the actions of others, not just their own, and will adjust accordingly (example, seeing one's sibling get in trouble for something).

Indoctrination cannot easily compete with the reality of first hand experience. I taught my kids how to think critically and they seem ok so far. Teaching them to know when someone else's claims sound dubious goes a long way toward inoculating them against unhealthy thinking.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
31-07-2014, 09:47 AM
I have no idea whether the OP has replied to me or not. So, I'm bored and moving on.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post