Nature vs Nurture

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2013, 05:27 PM
RE: Nature vs Nurture
(21-05-2013 05:01 PM)AlaskaMom Wrote:  Remind me to never piss you off!!

Im nice really Angel

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2013, 05:37 PM
(21-05-2013 05:27 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(21-05-2013 05:01 PM)AlaskaMom Wrote:  Remind me to never piss you off!!

Im nice really Angel

I'm pretty sure he's been house trained. Consider

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
21-05-2013, 05:39 PM
(21-05-2013 05:37 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I'm pretty sure he's been house trained. Consider

I dont claw the sofa or crap on the floor anymore...i guess i am Consider

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
21-05-2013, 05:45 PM
(21-05-2013 05:39 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(21-05-2013 05:37 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I'm pretty sure he's been house trained. Consider

I dont claw the sofa or crap on the floor anymore...i guess i am Consider

I heard you put up a huge fuss getting in the car to get spayed. Still; it payed off.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
21-05-2013, 05:47 PM
There is no nature vs nature. It's a blend and it's fluid. It's nature and nurture.

Look at any set of siblings (both parents the same) and then look at the differences as well as the similarities. Genetics don't mix exactly the same in each sibling and nurture changes with most parents over time. Then maybe look at recessive genes and what age and illness can to to alter the genes that are passed down. It is fairly commonly known that Down's Syndrome tends to occur with older moms.

Of course, that's presuming the whole nature/nurture thing isn't a CIA plot.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
21-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Nature vs Nurture
(21-05-2013 02:21 PM)AlaskaMom Wrote:  Since I am an adoptive mother as well as a birth mother --- I say Nurture !!!

I don't know how much I buy into the genetic predisposition to diseases or how much is paranoia and medical hype. I say this because I have migraines... Only one in my family as far back as we know to get them.
I have a daughter with Thyroid cancer that is resistant to any treatment (so she will never be cured) she is the only one as far back as we can go to ever have thyroid cancer at all. I have another daughter who was born with an extra heart valve, then got a very rare brain tumor, and then as if that wasn't enough her capillaries in her knees just died and so her bones and cartridge did the same she needed donor knee surgery. so 3 things one child and again nothing even remotely similar in any of the family tree on either side. my other 2 birthed kids are fine no issues.

The things that do run in the family that are usually passed on (grandparents and before had) no one has gotten since. I dunno that any of that made sense --- it did in my own mind if that counts.... all the voices in there agree LOL

I agree. When nature peeps say "pre-disposition" that is code word for educated guessing.

And they can't even define a "nature"
21-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Nature vs Nurture
(21-05-2013 05:47 PM)Anjele Wrote:  There is no nature vs nature. It's a blend and it's fluid. It's nature and nurture.

Look at any set of siblings (both parents the same) and then look at the differences as well as the similarities. Genetics don't mix exactly the same in each sibling and nurture changes with most parents over time. Then maybe look at recessive genes and what age and illness can to to alter the genes that are passed down. It is fairly commonly known that Down's Syndrome tends to occur with older moms.

Of course, that's presuming the whole nature/nurture thing isn't a CIA plot.

What makes a person is different to philosophy than it is to science. According to philosophy your whole upbringing, society, and things you experience make you the person that you are, it gives you a "self". Dna does give you a "self" in fact much of science is predicated on the idea that there is no "self" and that its all driven by mechanical brain processes. Viewing the body as a complex machine leads science to leave out what a "self" or " mind" is.
21-05-2013, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2013 08:43 PM by fat cat.)
(21-05-2013 12:49 PM)I and I Wrote:  A thing being influenced by things outside of itself is nurture. You can't even define nature. DNA nature? When and how did DNA acquire a nature? the 80's? Rolleyes

"Nature" is a concept we use as reference to a thing's values/conditions/circumstances/makeup/constitution/state/character/whatever. DNA never acquired a nature, but instead consisted of a nature since its beginning, whenever that was.

(21-05-2013 07:02 PM)I and I Wrote:  I agree. When nature peeps say "pre-disposition" that is code word for educated guessing.

And they can't even define a "nature"

"Predisposition" refers to a specific set of circumstances within the "nature" of something, and doesn't inherently mean that thing will experience what it is "predisposed to", because what it will experience is a result of not only that thing's "nature", but also everything which "nurtures" it. That "nurture" is just the "nature" of everything influencing the "predisposed thing's nature", and the result is itself another "nature" which possibly "nurtures" other things, too.

(21-05-2013 07:12 PM)I and I Wrote:  What makes a person is different to philosophy than it is to science.

In that statement, what exactly do "philosophy" and "science" refer to? I ask, because we can approach understanding what makes a person in a philosophical and scientific manner, and if any disparity exists, it results from false notions in one of the two manners or both.

(21-05-2013 07:12 PM)I and I Wrote:  According to philosophy your whole upbringing, society, and things you experience make you the person that you are, it gives you a "self". Dna does give you a "self" in fact much of science is predicated on the idea that there is no "self" and that its all driven by mechanical brain processes.

These two views are not necessarily in disagreement, and are not irreconcilable.

(21-05-2013 07:12 PM)I and I Wrote:  Viewing the body as a complex machine leads science to leave out what a "self" or " mind" is.

Not necessarily. That depends on what exactly you refer to by the words "self" and "mind", and what "science" refers to by those words.
[+] 1 user Likes fat cat's post
21-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Why can't it be some of both?
21-05-2013, 09:50 PM
It is both! Both in the way people think and the way they act. You have to be told (nurtured) that gays, or Jews, or whatever, are bad. But if you're not taught what's "acceptable" behavior, you might want to (nature) beat that person up, or exclude them from your social group, depending on the psychological make up you happened to be born with.