Nazi Parade by School Children in Taiwan

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2017, 01:55 AM
Nazi Parade by School Children in Taiwan
School Parade in Taiwan Featuring Swastikas and Nazis Unleashes Uproar @ The New York Times

TAIPEI, Taiwan — A high school parade in Taiwan in which students dressed as Nazi soldiers and carried swastika banners has created a storm of criticism in one of Asia’s most open societies.

Hsinchu Kuang-Fu High School in Hsinchu City held the parade, which focused on Adolf Hitler, as part of the school’s anniversary celebrations on Friday. The parade also featured cardboard tanks. The students chose the theme, according to local news reports.

Photographs of the event spread quickly online, creating a backlash, with the unofficial diplomatic missions of Israel and Germany issuing letters of protest.

The episode resulted in the resignation of the school’s principal, Cheng Hsiao-ming, this week.

Yeah, so that happened.

[Image: 1319427168001.jpg]

^ An approximation of my expression while reading the article. ^

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-01-2017, 01:56 AM
RE: Nazi Parade by School Children in Taiwan
(15-01-2017 01:55 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  School Parade in Taiwan Featuring Swastikas and Nazis Unleashes Uproar @ The New York Times

TAIPEI, Taiwan — A high school parade in Taiwan in which students dressed as Nazi soldiers and carried swastika banners has created a storm of criticism in one of Asia’s most open societies.

Hsinchu Kuang-Fu High School in Hsinchu City held the parade, which focused on Adolf Hitler, as part of the school’s anniversary celebrations on Friday. The parade also featured cardboard tanks. The students chose the theme, according to local news reports.

Photographs of the event spread quickly online, creating a backlash, with the unofficial diplomatic missions of Israel and Germany issuing letters of protest.

The episode resulted in the resignation of the school’s principal, Cheng Hsiao-ming, this week.

Yeah, so that happened.

[Image: 1319427168001.jpg]

^ An approximation of my expression while reading the article. ^

Wow..............

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
15-01-2017, 02:07 AM
I wonder why students thought it was good idea.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
15-01-2017, 02:11 AM
(15-01-2017 02:07 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I wonder why students thought it was good idea.

Because it hadn't been sufficiently explained to them why it was a terrible idea, and none of the adults in charge with the power to intervene beforehand cared enough until after the fact when other people (who are not human garbage) got understandably pissed.

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
15-01-2017, 02:11 AM
I did Nazi that coming..... Sorry I'll show myself out.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 12 users Like JDog554's post
15-01-2017, 02:13 AM
(15-01-2017 02:11 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  I did Nazi that coming..... Sorry I'll show myself out.

*snort*

When I looked at the pictures the only thing that crossed my mind was those symbols don't mean what you seem to think they mean.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-01-2017, 02:15 AM
(15-01-2017 02:11 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 02:07 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I wonder why students thought it was good idea.

Because it hadn't been sufficiently explained to them why it was a terrible idea, and none of the adults in charge with the power to intervene beforehand cared enough until after the fact when other people (who are not human garbage) got understandably pissed.

Article mentioned that Holocaust isn't taught much but Nazis aren't only about Shoah. Students should have general idea about why Nazis aren't best suited model to such event. Or maybe their education is even more limited? Wouldn't be really surprised though, I too didn't learnt much about Asia in school.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
15-01-2017, 02:27 AM

Actually, I kinda get this.

There have been people who I work with who have never heard of Hitler and one who was not even aware of the second world war.

Similarly, I'm constantly reminded of my lack of awareness of the history and the battles that have shaped this region.

I'm just about to go to a Philosophy Group meetup where the subject will be Popularism. There is a right-wing sentiment in Europe; there's Trump; there's Brexit. Many of the economic conditions are ripe for another wave of fascism / nationalism / exceptionalism. The US is maneuvering its troops around the region in what seems to be a deliberate echo of old-fashioned anti-China, British imperialism... Taiwan will be the first suffer if it all kicks off.
And, of course, the internet is full of Nazi documentaries.

Is it any wonder that the children would want to study this phenomenon?

Role-play ... I can understand that. A parade as part of that? Yup, that was poor judgement but one thing's for sure ... the children will be learning a heck of a lot from this experience.

"Lest we forget" ... many have forgotten and others, the young ones, never knew.

Dodgy

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
15-01-2017, 02:45 AM
(15-01-2017 02:27 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Actually, I kinda get this.

There have been people who I work with who have never heard of Hitler and one who was not even aware of the second world war.

Similarly, I'm constantly reminded of my lack of awareness of the history and the battles that have shaped this region.

There is sense in this - if one isn't taught about something then gaining knowledge about said something isn't exactly easy. To ask questions one have to have at least cursory knowledge of the subject at least.

In a way I get this - school was Europocentric with special place given to Poland. University was better in that regard but still most of the leaning I had to do on my own.

Quote:I'm just about to go to a Philosophy Group meetup where the subject will be Popularism. There is a right-wing sentiment in Europe; there's Trump; there's Brexit. Many of the economic conditions are ripe for another wave of fascism / nationalism / exceptionalism. The US is maneuvering its troops around the region in what seems to be a deliberate echo of old-fashioned anti-China, British imperialism... Taiwan will be the first suffer if it all kicks off.

Not really a wonder I guess.

As for all right-wing shit I think that Marx take on this is good: History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.

Quote:Role-play ... I can understand that. A parade as part of that? Yup, that was poor judgement but one thing's for sure ... the children will be learning a heck of a lot from this experience.

So something good will came of this.

Quote:"Lest we forget" ... many have forgotten and others, the young ones, never knew.

Dodgy

Never again is much worse phrase considering how far it is from truth. It's should be read like again and again considering that Nazi genocide wasn't the last. Sentiment behind words is noble, but lack the will of enforcing it make it parody.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
15-01-2017, 02:49 AM
(15-01-2017 02:15 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Article mentioned that Holocaust isn't taught much but Nazis aren't only about Shoah. Students should have general idea about why Nazis aren't best suited model to such event. Or maybe their education is even more limited? Wouldn't be really surprised though, I too didn't learnt much about Asia in school.

(15-01-2017 02:27 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Actually, I kinda get this.

I'm just about to go to a Philosophy Group meetup where the subject will be Popularism. There is a right-wing sentiment in Europe; there's Trump; there's Brexit. Many of the economic conditions are ripe for another wave of fascism / nationalism / exceptionalism. The US is maneuvering its troops around the region in what seems to be a deliberate echo of old-fashioned anti-China, British imperialism... Taiwan will be the first suffer if it all kicks off.

Role-play ... I can understand that. A parade as part of that? Yup, that was poor judgement but one thing's for sure ... the children will be learning a heck of a lot from this experience.

I get that too, a constant reminder to check my own context and biases. Being both a relatively young country, and the decisive victor, the Second World War is a looming and ubiquitous part of the cultural myth of the United States. So I don't expect people of other nations on the other side of the planet to be anywhere near as familiar with this piece of history, let alone school children. But that excuse only gets you past casual ignorance, that doesn't excuse the level of premeditation required to get this parade project off the ground. The adults should have known better, or at the very least, have done the minimum amount of investigation required to give them pause.

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post