Near Death Experiences

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2016, 06:58 PM
Near Death Experiences
Its me again, I have no where to go on these topics. I'm in a family chat and most of the time its great. We share pictures and laugh. Occasionally they throw in Bible verses, songs of praise, pray for this and that, videos... And I know all of this is to bring me back in a subtle way. I've done well to not say anything because my mom gets really upset.

So they all posted vids about NDE. Then they were all like, we all know there is an afterlife. These stories prove it. So I looked things up.

What I found was the brain can respond in a hypersensitive way with oxygen deprivation. I also found this experiment done on rats right before they died. They had an increase of brain activity. It isn't proof of NDE, but could explain that the brain goes through a lot before death. So I posted it. And it was a shit show. We are not like rats, not all scientists back that study... My mom has seen hell and its real... And so forth.

I said, I'm just trying to show there might be other explanations besides heaven and hell. I was kind and not in their face. I just hate that if I post any thing different it causes an uproar. No one is willing to look outside of the Bible.

Idk, there is nothing that you all can do, I just have no one on this. Some of my teenage sons agree with me, but they are kids. They don't need me pouring this shit on them. So I came here.

Also a couple of nights ago my husband wanted to read some quotes from the book, Stealing From God, by Frank Turek. We had this long talk about morality, beginning of the universe (he uses a lot of WLC language) and its all to prove to me there is a god. So I said, ok.. Lets say there is a god.... Which one? Christian God with Jesus, Judaism, Muslim, Hindu? If I'm going to worship a god, I want to make sure it's the right one. He had no answer. I said, that's why I'm an atheist because even if there is one, I do not know which one is right. So I prefer to not believe and to not worship any of them.

Thanks for reading this. Any advice of the NDE would be greatly appreciated!! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2016, 07:12 PM
RE: Near Death Experiences
This is a good one from Sam Harris.

[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
20-05-2016, 07:13 PM
Not Death Experience.

Isn't all that heaven and bright lights and angels stuff supposed to be for after life?

If you can get a sneak preview before you're dead, how much trouble would it be for us all to get the trailer while we are in complete control of our senses?

Does their god have a "no spoilers" rule?

Pffft!

Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
20-05-2016, 07:23 PM
The Bible describes a number of people returning from death, but afaik none of them describe the afterlife. Revelation has its description of heaven, but John was not dead in the story. I am not aware of any biblical support for NDEs. But please know I am not an authority.
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
20-05-2016, 07:57 PM
The key word is "near" death. Not actual death in the sense of cessation of all bodily functions and deterioration of the cells, but what appears to be some sort of power-save mode triggered by physical trauma.

As the brain is quite adept at dreaming and occasionally hallucinating, I see no reason to think that NDEs are anything more than hallucinations.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post
20-05-2016, 08:01 PM
My mother said she had an NDE on the night I was born, I am a twin and we were born via C-section, my two older siblings were traditional birth. She said she had to be knocked out for the surgery and she had a vision she walked through a white tunnel and a beautiful angel spoke to her and told her to make a choice, either die and go to Heaven or stay alive and be a mother and wife, she chose to live.

She says she woke up right at this point and was told she had two babies who were premature but healthy. I always hated this story because she was actually a pretty terrible mother, my dad was abusive, she would just sit there and do nothing. She threatened to walk out and abandon us several times and she picked favorites. I don't wish she died but I have explained to her that if she wanted to live so badly why didn't she care more?

I also explained that life and death situations are very emotional and can cause a very lucid emotional dream, plus it a was a drug induced sleep/dream state, plus she's very religious and was apparently praying with a rosary right before they knocked her out...so all together it's a perfect situation for a false NDE dream to occur. I've even had very realistic dreams just taking over the counter sleeping pills myself.

Also my father was told she was in no danger, it was me and my sister that were going to die but whatever, she can believe what she wants. Of all the dreams my mother has had, all were not real and just projections of her subconscious but this one was real? I don't think so.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like SitaSky's post
20-05-2016, 08:13 PM
My brother had carpel tunnel surgery with a local anesthetic. When they undid the tourniquet on his arm he flat lined. He was "dead" for almost 1 minute and 45 seconds before they jump started his heart. He always jokes that he didn't see any tunnel of light, but he did start to feel hot!
[+] 3 users Like Born Again Pagan's post
20-05-2016, 08:41 PM
And the part about seeing dead loved ones is logical. The brain realizes that you seem to be dying. So, as always, in search of solutions it goes through your files about death and brings up your dead mom, dad, uncles, aunts, grandparents etc. Plus whatever indoctrinations about death you had...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
20-05-2016, 10:10 PM
All of yall.. Thank you!! To me these seem so logical. Also, I'm going to watch that video and see if it's something that I can send to my family.

I'm very tempted to buy Seth's book for every family member because he explains my journey perfectly. They don't get what I'm saying. They either think I never believed or I'm just wandering and I will return . My husband posted Michael W Smith song, Once a True Believer. I'm sure he was meant for me.
21-05-2016, 07:05 AM
I think Traci Harris put it best: "Dying brains. Why would you trust them?"

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 7 users Like The Organic Chemist's post