Near Death Experiences

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2016, 10:18 AM
RE: Near Death Experiences
(21-05-2016 10:07 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(21-05-2016 09:53 AM)Marozz Wrote:  My mother had an apparent NDE in the 60's. She was in the process of giving birth to my younger brother and there were complications. She heard the doctor saying she was gone, then she found herself "floating" above the bed looking down at the doctors and nurses working frantically to bring her back. She saw the "bright light" and headed towards it, then some voice said, no, not now... She woke up next day with her new baby and the doc explained how they nearly lost her. She doesn't say much about her beliefs but she stopped going to church after that. As for my younger brother ..... he's still a fucking handful. Tongue

I wonder, if right after she was revived if someone offered the doctor a medicine (say something to restart her heart or something) he'd asked for but then he saw she was back and he said, "no, not now" and she remembers that.

I roused up during anesthesia once and I remember hearing the people talking. I said something but I don't remember what and the doc said, give her a bit more. lol

I have never spoken with or had the opportunity to question anyone who had a NDE. Are all of them believers in afterlife after their experience? Were they before or no?
Yeah, it could have been something like that. My mother said it was a beautiful feeling and she felt disappointed when she "had to come back". She says after that experience she does not fear death, believes in an afterlife but has no time for the catholic church ( I think that has more to do with the fact that the parish priest tried to rape her when she was a teenager).

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post
21-05-2016, 10:19 AM
There is no such thing as a "Near Death Experience", that is merely a layperson's misunderstanding of how the brain can easily fool itself into believing an "experience" feels real. They are not real in the slightest, any more than the dog barking at's own reflection in the mirror is really another dog. It is a false perception, nothing more.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
21-05-2016, 10:43 AM
(20-05-2016 06:58 PM)SallyBr0wn Wrote:  Its me again, I have no where to go on these topics. I'm in a family chat and most of the time its great. We share pictures and laugh. Occasionally they throw in Bible verses, songs of praise, pray for this and that, videos... And I know all of this is to bring me back in a subtle way. I've done well to not say anything because my mom gets really upset.

So they all posted vids about NDE. Then they were all like, we all know there is an afterlife. These stories prove it. So I looked things up.

What I found was the brain can respond in a hypersensitive way with oxygen deprivation. I also found this experiment done on rats right before they died. They had an increase of brain activity. It isn't proof of NDE, but could explain that the brain goes through a lot before death. So I posted it. And it was a shit show. We are not like rats, not all scientists back that study... My mom has seen hell and its real... And so forth.

I said, I'm just trying to show there might be other explanations besides heaven and hell. I was kind and not in their face. I just hate that if I post any thing different it causes an uproar. No one is willing to look outside of the Bible.

Idk, there is nothing that you all can do, I just have no one on this. Some of my teenage sons agree with me, but they are kids. They don't need me pouring this shit on them. So I came here.

Also a couple of nights ago my husband wanted to read some quotes from the book, Stealing From God, by Frank Turek. We had this long talk about morality, beginning of the universe (he uses a lot of WLC language) and its all to prove to me there is a god. So I said, ok.. Lets say there is a god.... Which one? Christian God with Jesus, Judaism, Muslim, Hindu? If I'm going to worship a god, I want to make sure it's the right one. He had no answer. I said, that's why I'm an atheist because even if there is one, I do not know which one is right. So I prefer to not believe and to not worship any of them.

Thanks for reading this. Any advice of the NDE would be greatly appreciated!! Smile

Do a search on Google for near death experiences of different cultures. Not everyone sees the same thing and what is seen depends greatly on what culture one grew up in. If I remember correctly, Japanese see a river and a forest. People from India get taken to a bureaucratic office where a clerk says something like "no not that one, you brought the wrong one, take him back". So this suggests that it is the subconscious that produces these experiences.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
21-05-2016, 10:47 AM
My mother had a near death experience when she had triple pneumonia. (It has spread to three separate areas of her lungs) She didn't say too much about it either but she was in a Catholic hospital and there was a horribly tacky painting of Jesus holding a bleeding heart. I think the blood was dripping between Jesus' hands or it was on his chest dripping all over his greyish tunic or something. I can't remember the details but I do remember that it was really grotesque. She was in and out of consciousness for a couple of days and every time she woke up she'd see that damned stupid painting. When she started to recover no one could get her to eat anything. She said everything tasted exactly like an uncooked bleeding heart and made her nauseous. My sister and I removed the painting, took it down the hospital hallway and hid it behind some some furniture. She finally started to eat and gained her strength back.

Just goes to show you what the brain is capable of.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
21-05-2016, 10:54 AM
(21-05-2016 10:47 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My mother had a near death experience when she had triple pneumonia. (It has spread to three separate areas of her lungs) She didn't say too much about it either but she was in a Catholic hospital and there was a horribly tacky painting of Jesus holding a bleeding heart. I think the blood was dripping between Jesus' hands or it was on his chest dripping all over his greyish tunic or something. I can't remember the details but I do remember that it was really grotesque. She was in and out of consciousness for a couple of days and every time she woke up she'd see that damned stupid painting. When she started to recover no one could get her to eat anything. She said everything tasted exactly like an uncooked bleeding heart and made her nauseous. My sister and I removed the painting, took it down the hospital hallway and hid it behind some some furniture. She finally started to eat and gained her strength back.

My Grandmother had such a painting hanging on her bedroom wall. Grotesque is the perfect way to describe it.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
21-05-2016, 11:11 AM
(21-05-2016 10:47 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My mother had a near death experience when she had triple pneumonia. (It has spread to three separate areas of her lungs) She didn't say too much about it either but she was in a Catholic hospital and there was a horribly tacky painting of Jesus holding a bleeding heart. I think the blood was dripping between Jesus' hands or it was on his chest dripping all over his greyish tunic or something. I can't remember the details but I do remember that it was really grotesque. She was in and out of consciousness for a couple of days and every time she woke up she'd see that damned stupid painting. When she started to recover no one could get her to eat anything. She said everything tasted exactly like an uncooked bleeding heart and made her nauseous. My sister and I removed the painting, took it down the hospital hallway and hid it behind some some furniture. She finally started to eat and gained her strength back.

I had pneumonia when I was 8 or 9 and it was on Halloween. I wanted to go trick or treating and that was a big "no" so my mom fixed me up a bed on the sofa so I could say hi to the trick-or-treaters as they came by. Sometime after I moved to the sofa my fever spiked and I passed out for a bit, my mom said I sat straight up and said, "The Frankenstein's here." then she said my eyes rolled back in my head and I collapsed. She got ice and bathed my face and chest in ice water to bring down the heat.

My sister was still answering the door and a couple minutes after I passed out again the big knocker on the door sounded (we had this huge old oak and iron door with two little windows that had doors on them, it had a huge iron knocker on it) a Frankenstein treater showed up at the door. Freaked my sister the fuck out. lol

Personally, I think I must have heard him moaning and groaning out on the road or something. Thing is all my neighbors had at least an acre of land each, so we weren't all that close and it was cold so no windows open. Do not know how I knew he was coming next. Funny.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
21-05-2016, 11:37 AM
My thoughts:

I think the term Near Death Experience says a lot more than people realize. NEAR Death. Not actually dead. Just near. To quote The Princess Bride, "Just Mostly Dead, not Dead Dead..." Verify someone coming back after being dead-dead and I might be interested.

Did you ever notice that everyone sees exactly what they are taught by their culture to expect? No christians experience Hindi NDE's. No muslims experience visions of Thor and Odin.

Being dead or dying, means the heart has stopped. No heart, no blood pumping, no oxygen to the brain. That all adds up to brain damage.

Let's say someone starts telling us about how their brain was deprived of oxygen for an extended period of time. Then they start telling us all the neat things they saw.

If they talk about anything other than religion, everybody laughs. But as soon as they say they saw jeebus, everybody accepts it as truth.

Go figure.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 7 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
22-05-2016, 01:37 AM
(21-05-2016 11:37 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  My thoughts:

I think the term Near Death Experience says a lot more than people realize. NEAR Death. Not actually dead. Just near. To quote The Princess Bride, "Just Mostly Dead, not Dead Dead..." Verify someone coming back after being dead-dead and I might be interested.

Whenever someone claims to see a UFO, then starts to go on about how it was an extraterrestrial space ship, stop and remind them what the U stand for. Wink

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
22-05-2016, 05:38 AM
One reason people find the NDE stories so attractive -- is they want to believe it. It's not because of PROOF or anything -- they heard a story and WANT to believe it....

If someone tells you they walked 12 miles to get a Kit-Kat bar - you probably wouldn't even believe them if they showed you the empty wrapper. You'd just assume they drove, or just picked the wrapper off the ground. NOBODY walks 12 miles for a candy bar, right???? In spite of evidence (flimsy as it may be) they decide it's unbelievable....

But died, seen dead relatives, and came back????? SUUUURREEEEE - fucking happens all the time...............

Another big reason people believe in NDE???

There's so many egotistical fucks that believe the universe can't exist without them.................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
22-05-2016, 05:40 AM
(22-05-2016 01:37 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(21-05-2016 11:37 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  My thoughts:

Whenever someone claims to see a UFO, then starts to go on about how it was an extraterrestrial space ship, stop and remind them what the U stand for. Wink

LOL

Yup -- that'd be a PIFO --- a Poorly Identified Flying Object...........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.