Near Death Experiences

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2016, 10:28 AM
RE: Near Death Experiences
Did you ever notice that everyone sees exactly what they are taught by their culture to expect? No christians experience Hindi NDE's. No muslims experience visions of Thor and Odin.

Well I heard a 13 year old boy speak when I was going to a New Age church and as he was losing consciousness his parents heard him say, "But I thought Angels had wings!" ANd when he "came back" ome of the rhings he said is that he sure was surprised that Angels didn't have wings!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
23-05-2016, 11:40 AM
NDEs again. We did this oldie but goodie a few months back. Linkety-link.

Coles notes version: The brain experiences NDEs when it thinks it's dying, regardless of the actual medical condition and everybody sees what their culture preps them to see. The brain gets scared and runs to find its comfort blanket. If that sounds entirely psychological to you that's because it is.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
23-05-2016, 04:37 PM
Spent 14 hours in a hospital bed with sepsis after an undiagnosed burst appendix. Don't think it was an NDE. Think it was me dying. All I saw was pain. It was untouchable by any narcotic known to man.

#sigh
23-05-2016, 04:53 PM
(23-05-2016 04:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Spent 14 hours in a hospital bed with sepsis after an undiagnosed burst appendix. Don't think it was an NDE. Think it was me dying. All I saw was pain. It was untouchable by any narcotic known to man.

I had a ruptured colon once, I know that pain. Morphine did nothing, but a shot of demerol into my IV line helped a bit.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
23-05-2016, 06:10 PM
I had a perforated small intestine (an outfall of a ruptured appendix 22 years earlier, when in the Navy, which I endured for 6 weeks before it was removed). Laid in the e-room for hours before they finally admitted me. I couldn't believe how much that hurt. Food leaking out of your guts into you intestinal cavity leads to all kinds of complications. I lost 32 pounds in the time I was in the hospital. I had no NDE to go with it, though.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
23-05-2016, 06:36 PM
I had Hodgkins Lymphoma when I was 35. Back in the day, they gave mustard gas, MOPP, and APVD for a year, then radiation. I got through chemo but the radiation almost killed me. When I had 0.2 immunity, I got terribly sick and was hospitalized and came close to dying. I had hallucinations, but because I did not have a religious upbringing and had taken comparative religion classes, the hallucinations contained a little religious mythology, a little white light and rainbow tunnel , a little talking to dead relatives on the other side of a bridge, but through it all I sort of realized I was hallucinating. A few weeks later when I was able to think again I looked over some of my college books and realized that all that I had read about were in the hallucinations. It was really very interesting- down to things I had seemed to have completely forgotten, but they were things I had read about in the past. I have a very strong visual memory and I had made a complete world for myself, with layers and layers of religious symbolism in it taken from all of the religions I had read about. It was really a good example of a near death experience which I had completely created from things I had read about and seen in drawings and sculptures.

The biology of mind bridges the sciences - concerned with the natural world - and the humanities - concerned with the meaning of human experience. Eric Kandel
[+] 1 user Likes carol's post
23-05-2016, 06:39 PM
(23-05-2016 04:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Spent 14 hours in a hospital bed with sepsis after an undiagnosed burst appendix. Don't think it was an NDE. Think it was me dying. All I saw was pain. It was untouchable by any narcotic known to man.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
23-05-2016, 07:11 PM
(23-05-2016 06:39 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-05-2016, 07:23 PM
When my husband died, he gave me an account of what was going on as long as he could talk.

His arms and legs were going numb and he felt like he was floating. Those were the last things he communicated before he lost consciousness.

He had no drugs (I was ready with them, but he didn't want any) and no pain.

He seemed very peaceful.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post