Near Death Experiences and atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Near Death Experiences and atheists
I've been surfing the internet looking for atheists who have had near death experiences and remained an atheist afterward. So far I'm not finding much. Most people convert to some religious belief. I'm not sure if anyone has done a survey on this but if not someone should since NDE's are so common now what with modern medical ability to revive people.

My understanding is that NDE can be induced by medical science. I once had an out of body experience while doing Yoga Nidra but I knew why and how it happened and I'm still an atheist. NDE's is another story.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2013, 01:09 PM
RE: Near Death Experiences and atheists
I had a weird experience while in a meditative state and listening to music.

Wasn't quite "out of body", but I felt as if I wasn't real... if that makes sense. Almost as if time was stopped... It was pretty cool.

But I know it was just being in a semi dream state, with some rather trippy psychedelic rock on.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-09-2013, 01:21 PM
A researcher has recently published on the topic.
What many of us always suspected, is likely what happens.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/08/...xperiences

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-09-2013, 01:35 PM
I wonder about NDE too. Do people in religions other than Christianity have them with their gods too? I've only heard of Christians ones, because I've only ever been around Christians. lol

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
05-09-2013, 01:38 PM
My ex girlfriend is convinced that she died while having some kind of thing in a hospital. Problem is, there is no record that she died. If you explore these things, you will find that they very often happen in bed. Where we sleep. Where dreams occur. So your first question is not: "Do atheist's have the same experience as non-atheist's, regarding "Near Death Experiences". Your first question is: "Is the very idea of Near Death Experiences valid?"

This is just another way to search for life after death. If you can float above your body, after you are dead, you aren't really dead! There's no evidence to support this foolish idea.
[+] 1 user Likes Ameron1963's post
05-09-2013, 01:40 PM
(05-09-2013 01:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  A researcher has recently published on the topic.
What many of us always suspected, is likely what happens.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/08/...xperiences

I read the link you posted earlier in the week. What I'm trying to find are atheists who remained atheists after a near death experience. It's hard to find any information on those individuals. I know they're out there somewhere but it's slim pickens.

05-09-2013, 01:56 PM
(05-09-2013 01:35 PM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  I wonder about NDE too. Do people in religions other than Christianity have them with their gods too? I've only heard of Christians ones, because I've only ever been around Christians. lol

Lady, here is a link to some Hindu near death experiences. The NDE seem to reflect their cultural influences leaving one to realize that religion is just a thinking process and nothing more.

http://www.near-death.com/hindu.html#a01

I'm still trying to search for atheists who have remained atheists after a NDE.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
05-09-2013, 01:57 PM
The NDE conversion stories make me crazy. I can't speak for or against it from my own experience.

But the people that like to claim that you will turn to their god when you need him make me nuts. Dealing with serious health issues and major surgeries didn't once cause me to suddenly pray. And what the hell are they saying other than when our god scares you badly enough, you will seek his mercy? Sounds like a bully to me. A big mean bully that tries to make you say uncle and all his little punk buddies in a circle going yeah, yeah...gee, I can't get enough of that.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
06-09-2013, 02:57 AM
I've had one. What I've got out of it, that we're not what we think we are, and the animal knows how to die. Just like the animal knows how to take a hit. Laughat

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
06-09-2013, 03:10 AM
While not specifically near death, this is Michael Shermer on out of body experiences.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]